Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ldjican
0 Kudos

Nook screen frozen???

Help!! My Nook is screen is frozen on the standby screen. . .but the screen only shows half the picture (the left side is blank and the right has the picture). All the buttons on the touch screen work but the page stays the same! Can someone help?? I taking a 27hr train ride tomorrow and I need my Nook!!

Thanks!

-----Lisa

"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."
— Stephen King
Contributor
zzzxtreme
0 Kudos

Re: Nook screen frozen???

Ughhh

Luckily I cancelled my nook pre-order in time.

New User
bonwel
0 Kudos

my nook is also frozen - what's going on?????

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ bonwel,

Have you gotten your frozen nook thawed out?

If not, take a deep breath, then use the search "frozen" to find numerous posts with possible remedies.

Without any information no one can tell you "what's going on."  I found that I had problems when I was impatient and did not wait for the nook to respond to one command before trying to give it another.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@bonwel,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update

with additional information and easy-to-follow directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.

This update offers complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and a Go To Page feature (one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users).

If this issue continues and  there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
booknookuser
0 Kudos

OK ---- I HAVE GONE THROUGH STEP 8 TWICE.   I GET A BATTER;Y INDICATOR WITH A "? " IN IT.   I LET "CHARGE OVER NIGHT AND IT FROZE AGAIN.  I AM NOW ON MY SECOND TRY. 

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

booknookuser wrote:

OK ---- I HAVE GONE THROUGH STEP 8 TWICE.   I GET A BATTER;Y INDICATOR WITH A "? " IN IT.   I LET "CHARGE OVER NIGHT AND IT FROZE AGAIN.  I AM NOW ON MY SECOND TRY. 

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???

You aren't turning it off are you?

New User
JanetLG
0 Kudos

My nook freezes all the time. I hate the nook. I wish I bought the kindle. Even though you can unfreeze it, it doesn't help when you're travling which I do a lot. I styrongly urge anyone who hasn't purchased the nook to buy the kindle instead. I totally regret this purchase.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ JanetLG,

Yeah.   We get it.

New User
ljc40
0 Kudos

I had the same thing happen to me and did everything trying to get it to unfreeze.  B&N finally told me they would send me a new battery.  Now it's a week and 1/2 later and I still don't have my battery. Called today to ask why and they told me the order never got put thru. I might have it by next Wednesday.  That's almost 3 weeks with being unable to use my nook. My nearest B&N is over hour away or I'd go get it myself. If they tell you you need a battery I would suggest you go directly to B&N and pick one up.  You may never see it if you don't get it yourself.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

You can buy a battery at places like Best Buy. 

Have you tried removing the battery and leaving it out overnight?

New User
ReaderG
0 Kudos

I agree. I have done the same thing and not wait, then it really gets frozen.

Best to turn off and restart.

New User
lindastorknurse
0 Kudos

I called B&N Customer Support this afternoon regarding the inability to download the new 1.4v despite several attempts via wi-fi, then the usb cable.  I find out the 1.4v is not installing because I didn't have the 1.3 update v ?!?  When the 1.2v was available, I was notified immediately--both via wi-fi and email, & it installed via wi-fi without a problem.  I keep my Nook plugged in on my nightstand, so it is always charged.  Re-checked my email and the 1.3v email notification was never sent to me either.  How does THAT happen? After being on the phone with Customer Support for an hour, we came to the conclusion the best thing to do is to return it and they are sending a new one.  I am here now to re-download my books so I can use it while awaiting the arrival of my new Nook.  Hopeful the new Nook will be less of a problem.

Contributor
booknookuser
0 Kudos

Well after second night of charging --- the nook while still plugged in ( I knew it would freeze if I unplugging) it began to up date to 1.4.  I left it alone and went back after 15 minutes and it had shut down ---- no light and would not start up.  Prior to the update and shut down the nook indicated that the battery was fully charged.     

guess it it time to call for a replacement.

Contributor
ldjican
0 Kudos

Well, after 45 minutes waiting for customer service, my Nook was declared dead:smileysad: I did everything but to no avail so they said they would mail me another one and to return mine within 14 days (BN paid for return shipping). Unfortunately that left me with no Nook for my trip so I had to make a quick run by BN before I boarded the train. But the great news is that my Nook is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Very quick turn around (I called @ 10pm Monday & delivery on Thursday). Customer service was great and all in all I still love my Nook! It was the best $259 my husband has ever spent!!!

"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."
— Stephen King
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 259 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: