Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
CDubW
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook stuck - Your Device is Starting Up >>

[ Edited ]

The battery was low so I plugged it in. I noticed the WiFi was disconnected and would not connect for whatever reason so I rebooted (Home + Power until reboot). Now it's stuck on start up. I removed the battery and started it again with the same result. Any ideas? Is it possibly updating and I need to just wait?

EDIT: There is activity after the message - the changing " >" to " >>"

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook stuck - Your Device is Starting Up >>

[ Edited ]

wait it out....

If activity is there, its still working...

Contributor
CDubW
0 Kudos

Yea, I meant to say that was my game plan. I'm hoping it's updating over 3G and it's slow.

Contributor
CDubW
0 Kudos

Two hours later and I'm thinking I look like a dork. If this is "normal" then all I can say is that the testers work by the hour. I have to try something drastic like sideloading the update.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Yeah, two hours is too much.  WAY too much.  

I would sideload if I were you.  

Contributor
CDubW
0 Kudos

Sideloading was not an option since the PC would not recognize the Nook.

I called support and they had me "Hexboot" the Nook which was an elaborate procedure requiring voodoo. In any event the Nook booted back up and reloaded the 1.1.1 firmware - pretty much all the settings were back to factory defaults except for the WiFi connection (WPA2) - that oddly still worked. Soon after the 1.2.0 patch started downloading and installed. Everythink looks nominal except I lost my screensaver and wallpaper and user settings.

New User
CBKNJ
0 Kudos

PLEASE HELP - this happened to me too, after already having to restart frozen nook last week; this happened today. It rebooted and reinstalled factory settings, except now all of my ebooks are GONE!!! it keeps asking me to register with the account i have set up on B&N.com, which is this one; when I put in the email and password associated with my nook account i get an error message and nothing happens. PLEASE HELP!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

You're going to get faster and better answers from Customer Service. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), ask for Digital Support.

They can see what's going on with your B&N account. We can't.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

What error message?

Do you have airplane mode on?  (shouldn't)

Did you get your wifi working before registering? (should, either that or turn off wifi)

Are you absolutely positively sure the account info you entered is correct.  (no middle initial recommended).

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@CBKNJ,

Did you call Customer Service to help troubleshoot your unit. If you haven't, you may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.  

Please let me know if this issue has been resolved.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

*There is an upcoming NOOK update that will continue to improve NOOK performance to provide enhanced overall reading experience and bug fixes.

Contributor
Lime-G
0 Kudos

same thing just happened to me tech told me to hold the power for 20s (my arrow stopped moving) then he said i need to remove the battery but i need to turn it off first by holding the power for 30s (didnt work )but i had already hung up because he told me what to next which was to wait 30 minutes then charge for 2hrs non-stop

im starting to think low power is what makes this issue happen which sucks i was totally into my book im reading the stackhouse series

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I have gotten into the habit of pluging in my nook when I go to sleep.  Normaly after a days hard use with airplane mode on I am down to 50%.  I always plug in when I get the low charge warning, which happens very rarely.  Now I have not yet taken my nook on a trip where I was away from an electrical outlet for an extended period of time, but pluging it in each night makes it seem like I have an endless supply of battery power.

Contributor
Lime-G
0 Kudos

Im staring at my nook right now

*glares at the orange light*

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@All,

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

New User
jae180
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael -V...my mom's NOOK was stuck in the starting up mode and your steps worked, so far.  It is currently in step 6 of charging, so hopefully this fixed it.

Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

Frozen at “Your NOOK is starting up >>”

My Nook is totally frozen on the “Your NOOK is starting up >>” page. The two little arrows blink but never advance to the home page. Pressing the start up button does nothing at all. I left it over night to see if waiting it out would work…no change this morning. I did completely charge it up yesterday. So I removed the back cover & the battery and left it out for 30 minutes. While the battery was out…the ‘start up’ page remained. I replaced the battery after 30 minutes (as recommended on the “Help” video) and still no change. It will not shut down nor will it advance to home page…nothing. Since my nook is 11 months old, I thought I’d just buy another battery on line but I can’t seem to find one. Any ideas?

If I can stop one heart from breaking ~ I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
Contributor
wetpaintkid
0 Kudos

I ended up calling 1-800-THE-BOOK ~ 1.800.843.2665 ~ and running this whole thing by customer service. Nothing they could come up with would restore my NOOK to normal use. So B&N will ship me a new one & wants me to return this one. I’m happy with that.

If I can stop one heart from breaking ~ I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
New User
archaon21
0 Kudos

@Michael-V

Hi,

I follow the steps you explain, but my Nooks still frozen.

If I shut down, the screen remains in "your NOOK is starting up".

If I turn it on, then the "arrows" (> & >>) start moving, but nothing else happens for hours.

I'm from Spain, and i can't buy the nook directly from B&N, then I bought the nook from ebay and

I can't call the customer service.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:19 members 277 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: