Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mabbynificent
0 Kudos

Nook stuck on Opening book

So I downloaded a book on February 15, and I have not been able to get it to work on my nook.  At first it kept freezing before it could load and I would have to take the battery out in order to get it to work, because it wouldn't even shut off.  I unlocked the book on the ereader software, but that hasn't made a difference.  I've tried syncing my nook to the computer, archiving and unarchiving several times, deleting the ebook's file from my nook and replacing it with the copy from my computer and then deleting from the nook again and downloading it anew (though not deleting it from my account, which I refuse to do).  It now no longer freezes, but it will not get past the "Loading" or "Opening your book" screen.  I can go back to the main menu, however, and open other books.  But I cannot even go to other chapters or anything, so I'm pretty much stuck.  I don't really want to read the entire thing on my computer, and I'm afraid to download any more books until this issue is resolved.  I'm not even sure that it came with the new software update, because I'm fairly certain that I bought another book between this one and the software update.

Any thoughts or advice?

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: Nook stuck on Opening book

Perhaps try sideloading it through a USB connection to your 'My Documents' section in your library on your nook.  I know this isn't how it's supposed to work, but this could be a possible workaround in the meantime so that you can read your eBook on your nook.

New User
zanneNY
0 Kudos

I have bee enjoying my nook since I got it. But today for some reason it froze on the page I was reading. I can't navigate or turn it off. Please help.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Push and hold down on the power button for 30 seconds and your nook should reset.

To the original poster - What format was the book in ?  Was it from B&N - or another site ?

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
mabbynificent
0 Kudos

It was from B&N, so it should have worked without problem.

New User
ksail
0 Kudos

My Nook has frozen once again while downloading a book from the BN site.  I called tech support and they told me to take the battery out and plug it into the charger while holding down on the button.  Well my screen in now clear but my Nook won't boot up.

Help,

New User
nsrichter
0 Kudos

I downloaded a free book from the B&N site and now my Nook is frozen on "Opening your book" -- it's been over 24 hours.  It won't turn off and when I tried to plug it into my computer, the computer doesn't even recognize it is there.  I don't know how to remove the battery.

Help.

Contributor
mabbynificent
0 Kudos

I tried sideloading it and it still froze on the Opening your book screen.  Not sure what to do about that.

Contributor
mabbynificent
0 Kudos

Actually, now it's working, though it has frozen a couple times in this book.  It's very strange.  But it seems to be working now!

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Great to hear mabbynificent!

For those looking to reboot their nooks, try the following:

First, try holding the power down for 20 seconds, and then pressing the power button again.  If that doesn't reboot your nook, try: 

1.  Unplugging your nook.

2.  Remove the battery (if you don't know how, there are further instructions in the manual). 

3.  Plug your nook in, without the battery (usually better results if you plug into the wall as opposed to your computer).

Your nook should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the nook off or unplug).  

If these steps don't work, you may have to call our digital support team in customer service.  They can be reached at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

One thing to add that may help a couple of the posters (e.g., "I was reading and my nook froze"):

Try plugging your nook in and waiting at least 15 minutes.  If the charge is very low the nook may freeze.  It will not respond until the charge returns to a preset level so you may see nothing happen when you first plug it in.

My nook alerts me when the charge is about 10% but the manual recommends recharging before it reaches 20%.

It might be helpful for the nook to alert on low battery at a higher level. 

Recharging at a higher level than the alert notification may well resolve some of the freezing problems.

New User
batichica
0 Kudos

my nook is frozen also...how do i unfreeze it?

New User
SupergirlSR
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem too...mine says opening your book...then nothing happens :smileysad:

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

This is a relative old thread. 

And you didn't say which of the problems mentioned you are having.  I have posted several times a existing problem with some and only some books sticking on opening.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Won-t-Open-eBook/m-p/625126/highlight/tr...

Michael-V, one of the boards administrators, has posted detailed answer for some of the problems.

Problem where Nook freezes

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Nook-is-frozen/m-p/585473/highlight/true...

Problem where absolutely no responsehttp://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Frozen-nook-nothing-works/m-p/677254#M24...

New User
Linwe
0 Kudos

I have had trouble opening books that I have already read and wanted to read again.  I had tried archiving and unarchiving which did not work for me.  Finally, I spoke with someone in customer service and then told me to go to 'settings' on my nook and unregister my nook, then reset it to factory settings and then reregister it.  I did that and I am able to open these books again.

Hope this helps.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 499 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: