Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
honjarte
0 Kudos

Nook tips cannot be turned off?

Or messed with in any settings?  BUT THEY SURE STAY THERE!!!

What gives?  I read threads about this from last year.  Randomly covering 1/3 of a page I am reading is not ok with me, nor is the random here/not here tip. I would like this to not happen.  E ink aside, I prefer real pages at this point. 

Thanks?

Honjarte

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Nook tips cannot be turned off?

Enjoy your DTBs.

(I haven't seen a NOOK tip since mine was four or five days old.  :smileywink:)

New User
honjarte
0 Kudos

No one has really answered my question.  And books don't have to be made out of trees; that's just the model the (admittedly retarded) printing industry chose (and then stuck with).  I also notice that the problem with my Nook is very old, but there still isn't an answer on these boards. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@honjarte

You need to be a lot clearer about what your problem is to get any help -- your first post doesn't communicate a situation that needs fixing.

Are you trying to say that, when you read a book on your Nook, the page of the book is partially obscured or obliterated by ghosting or a partial image from another source, like from The Daily?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
honjarte
0 Kudos

The "nook tips" word bubble, with a short sentence of tips inside, randomly appears, and obscures a portion of the page on the non-touch screen portion of the Nook.  It appears in the lower left and takes up most of the last paragraph there. It won't go away, except at random. There is no setting for it.  The boards have numerous threads about this problem, some from a year ago.   

ABthree
0 Kudos

honjarte wrote:

The "nook tips" word bubble, with a short sentence of tips inside, randomly appears, and obscures a portion of the page on the non-touch screen portion of the Nook.  It appears in the lower left and takes up most of the last paragraph there. It won't go away, except at random. There is no setting for it.  The boards have numerous threads about this problem, some from a year ago.   

Oh, I understand now.  It's been so long since I've seen that bubble that I forgot what it was.  Some questions: 

Are you seeing them when you try to read a book, or just on the Tour or the Manual?

Is your Nook registered?  Is it at software release 1.5?  If so, they should have disappeared spontaneously by now.

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
honjarte
0 Kudos

When I read a book, it happens.  It continually happens. Randomly, it is there; randomly, it is gone. There is no setting that takes care of it, from what I can tell.  It is a new Nook. I got it January.  I have indeed registered it and am running v1.5.0.

ABthree
0 Kudos

honjarte wrote:

When I read a book, it happens.  It continually happens. Randomly, it is there; randomly, it is gone. There is no setting that takes care of it, from what I can tell.  It is a new Nook. I got it January.  I have indeed registered it and am running v1.5.0.

You do have a real issue.  Sorry to seem so dense -- I'm just trying to understand.

It happens when you read a book.  Is that a book that you've purchased from B&N that lives in your B&N Library, or a book that you've sideloaded that lives in My Documents?

When you finish reading, do you let your Nook go into Sleep Mode, or do you power it down?  Have you powered it down since you got it?

Since you first powered your Nook up last month, has the frequency of these balloons appearing seemed to increase, decrease, or remain about the same?

-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
honjarte
0 Kudos

This is the first ebook I have read.  I bought the ebook from B&N.  It is the only one I have so far that isn't a freebie included from B&N.  I generally power the thing down into sleep/screensaver mode and leave it when I am done.   The problem seems to happen with some regularity. 

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@honjarte

Well, we're at the limits of my knowledge -- sorry.  As I said, this behavior stopped spontaneously with mine, within a few days of getting it.  I can see how annoying it must be if it continues.

Your post implies that you've been downloading the Free Friday books from B&N, as well as buying the one where you're encountering the problem.  If you haven't, then I think you should download yesterday's two, just so you can open them up and read a few pages, to make sure that the problem isn't being caused by something in that one book you bought.

One more thing I would try would be to power down completely (to white screen), wait a few minutes, then power up again -- sometimes cycling the power seems to resolve the odd problem on any electronic device.

Aside from that, if it continues, your best bet is to call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).  Select Option 2 for Digital Support, and describe what's happening to them.

Good luck.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

This is really odd behavior...but I remember seeing a couple of posters with the problem -- but I don't recall ever seeing a resolution. Did you try a search of all the Boards?

Since it is annoying (it happened to me 2-3 times...), and -- by extrapolation to the entirety of Nook World -- there are surely many users with this experience, I would expect that there is a "standard" response/fix from B&N...CS (and/or local store geek) would seem to be a good avenue for inquiry.

I'm guessing it might be a "feature" that's designed to activate for new users, and then just stop by itself, triggered by some event that would tell the system that the user has figured things out (e.g., buying a book, or a certain number of charging cycles, or ????)

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Did you try rebooting it at all? Press the power button down for 15-20 seconds until it goes to the white screen, wait a few seconds then turn it back on. I have found that when most of my electronic devices goes wonky a reboot will fix most things. I think I saw a nook tip bubble once when I first bought it, but haven't seen it since. I assume it is supposed to go away on its own, but obviously yours is not doing that. Honestly, I've been reading and posting on these boards since last spring and I've never read about this problem before, so I'm not sure it's really that widespread or we'd see dozens and dozens of posts about it. If a reboot doesn't work I'd call cs or go in to your local B&N (if you have one near by) to see if they know what to do. Going in to B&N might be a bit easier because you can show them what's going on.

Fran

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

Is the tip always the same or random?  What are the tips telling you?  Maybe you have to do what the tip wants to get it to go away.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

I'm guessing it might be a "feature" that's designed to activate for new users, and then just stop by itself, triggered by some event that would tell the system that the user has figured things out (e.g., buying a book, or a certain number of charging cycles, or ????)

This was my guess. I received a replacement in Dec and had read a number of books before a nook tip appeared. After trying a few things to make it go away I finally read the tip. It was a blurb about highlighting, a feature I never use. I selected the highlight option and it went away and hasn't reapeared.

In my case it appeared after an attempted page swipe which brought the touch screen out of sleep instead.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 313 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: