Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
aprilleigh5897
0 Kudos

Nook touch screen blank

Just began using the Nook last night.  The touch screen works when the device is powered on and continues to work for about 5 mins.  Then it goes blank.  I've tried powering off for 30 secs and rebooting.  The same problem persists.  Contemplating going back to my Kindle!  Help please!

Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Re: Nook touch screen blank

The touchscreen automatically "sleeps" after about 5 min. To wake it up, touch the "n" between the e-ink screen and the touchscreen. If this doesn't wake it up, press the power button on top. You can also turn the page by "flicking" across the touchscreen when it's dark.

New User
leigh2011
0 Kudos

I just purchased my nook last month, i always bring it everywhere, i'm not sure if it was accidentally dropped, but now the touch screen is blank, but still it respond when i touch it. Please tell me what to do.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

leigh2011 wrote:

I just purchased my nook last month, i always bring it everywhere, i'm not sure if it was accidentally dropped, but now the touch screen is blank, but still it respond when i touch it. Please tell me what to do.

The first thing to try is rebooting it. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds to shut it all the way down, then turn it back on.

If that doesn't correct the problem, something's broken. Call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem, I notice my touch screen have been going blank, it started to happen this week. A little scary.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

aprilleigh5897 wrote:

Just began using the Nook last night.  The touch screen works when the device is powered on and continues to work for about 5 mins.  Then it goes blank.  I've tried powering off for 30 secs and rebooting.  The same problem persists.  Contemplating going back to my Kindle!  Help please!

Please Read the User Guide.

Page 24:

When you are reading and the touchscreen is not lit, you can turn
pages by swiping your finger on the touchscreen.

Page 42:

While reading, you can also swipe your finger on the dark touchscreen to turn pages.

Pages 44-54:

Color Touchscreen

Page 72:

Settings

•     Touchscreen timer (Display > Touchscreen timer): Time from last touchscreen activity until
touchscreen backlight is turned off. You can choose among 10, 30 (default), and 60 seconds.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I experienced a blank and frozen touch screen this morning, too. First time that has ever happened; I've had my NOOK for four months.

I was using the touch screen.  Suddenly, it simply went dark and froze.  My NOOK was not asleep--wallpaper with tip blurb, not a screensaver, appeared on the reading screen.  Repeated taps on the touch screen menu bar "n" did not bring up the touch screen.

Thankfully, I solved my problem by tapping the power button and putting my NOOK to sleep, then tapping the power button again to awaken it.  When the NOOK awoke, the touch screen was back to functioning normally.  I read for about 45 minutes and the problem did not repeat itself.

Sun spots? :smileysurprised: Interference caused by attempted communication from alien life forms? :smileysurprised: [Insert theme from The Twilight Zone here] :smileyvery-happy: 

I'm really not making fun of the situation.  I'm just hoping that this was a one time fluke.  (And BTW, I had 41% battery life.)

New User
Lyllx
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. My touch screen is responsive, but I cannot see anything! It lights up, but there are no graphics. Help!

New User
1984DU
0 Kudos

thank you that really helped my went to a blank screer but was still lit up i help the power button down for 20 sec. and rebooted it and it went back to normal =)

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 736 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: