Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook tour & Nook User Guide

Can someone please tell me how to delete these items from my Nook. Thank you for your help!

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph
0 Kudos

Re: Nook tour & Nook User Guide

I know, those two things drive me nuts. I can't find them anywhere to get rid of them. Such a waste of space.

Please don't tell me I have to hack my nook to delete them.

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

Just a bump in hopes to get an answer.

Inspired Contributor
LaManchaDQ
0 Kudos

Both the Tour and The User Guide reside in the "My Documents" section of the nook library.

Hook your nook up to your computer via the usb cable, access the My Documents on the nook and delete the files.

Having siad that, there may be some protection on those two files.  If there is, even when you find them you might not be able to delete them.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Sorry gang, you won't be able to delete those files from nook. 

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Josh, since we can't delete these file is there anyway we can have a folder system implemented?

That way we could make a nook,fiction,non fiction, technical, etc folders? If we were able to create folders in our "My Documents" folder, and have these folders display on the nook?

It would be nice to be able to categorize what we have :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

We receive a lot of similar feedback asking for a folder system.  While I myself can't personally make that happen, I'll definitely communicate the idea to our product development team. 

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Thanks for letting us know, I'm sure alot of people would like this.

I liked the idea of putting the page number next to the progress bar that was implemented in the update, gives a good book reading "feel". I also like no longer needing to swipe like a secret door knock to turn pages, any swipe short of long or any speed let's me change pages now:smileyhappy: Great work so far!

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph
0 Kudos

Thanks Josh. It would be awesome if they at least gave us the option of hiding them from the list. They take up too much space on that screen and I really have no use for those two documents once I've already read them. Having two guides permanently on our My Documents section really makes absolutely no sense to me.

I really don't want to root my nook in order to remove these, I will be patient and await a future fix.

Inspired Contributor
KevMann
0 Kudos

Josh_W wrote:

Sorry gang, you won't be able to delete those files from nook. 

Josh,

Thank you for the reply. I do not and probably will not be side loading many documents, but I can definitely see how a folder system would be a great help for those who do.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Just wanted to bump this again.  I understand why B&N wouldn't want us to remove the guide, but the tour becomes a pretty useless waste of front page space after about a day of actually using one's nook.  The ability to archive or hide these docs, if they are not deletable, would be great.  

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

They should be deletable for the user.  It wastes space which eventually will be at a premium.

Don't make me waste space.  Put these docs in the B&N store and let us 'buy' and download them again if we need or want them, but don't make us waste valuable storage space. 

It's a cardinal sin.  Don't be sinners.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Contributor
c71clark
0 Kudos

I am trying to get rid of these 2 files as well. I do not see them anywhere in the folder structure of the Nook, even with hidden and system files viewable. Has there been any movement in this? I really dont want to have to see those 2 things every time I open the nook, forever.

New User
Shoshy
0 Kudos

For some reason also, my Nook doubled those two files so now i have FOUR! Two is not so obnoxious, but the four is really bothering me... especially because there is no way to contro it

New User
Powerje
0 Kudos

Just have to say I popped in here and clicked the "solved" button hoping to find a real solution, and was severely disappointed.

Planned on buying a Nook for my mother for Christmas and another for my wife (we've been fighting over this one :smileyhappy:  but minor annoyances like this and responses like that make me not really want to invest further in this product.

Hopefully this will be addressed in the future =)

New User
FriscoBob
0 Kudos

C'mon B&N.  There's no reason I shouldn't be able to delete (or at least hide these files).  It's absolutely ridiculous that I have to see them in my documents list at all times.  Just fix it!!!

Contributor
qbxk
0 Kudos

there's no reason for B&N to remind us what we're holding in our hands and how obnoxious it is that they think we need the manuals available at all times.  The device belongs to us now and if we want to remove a title we ought to be able to?  what benefit do you think you're providing us by retaining this control over our menus?  cellphone companies do this with their phones, same logic applies (they're presumptuous), we thought you were different.  now stop acting like them.

Frequent Contributor
Mike_A
0 Kudos

Okay... for what it's worth I don't think the file size is really the issue here.  A 10 page book and a 130 page book are not going to make a significant impact on the available space in our readers.  From our (the reader) stand point, they are in our book listing and we'd like them out.  From the B&N stand point they're the help files for the system... not really books at all.  I can see it both ways, we don't try to rummage through Windows and remove help files to save space right?  (well most of us don't!)  Simply move the help system to the settings page or make it a menu item would seem to solve the problem. 

Of course that would take additional programming, testing, trouble shooting, etc...  Personally I'd rather those developers worked on either a sub-folder system, or a category system.  I really like the way Sony does it (books can fall into multiple catagories), but I'll live with just having sub-folders if I can get them.  If sub-folders are a 10 on the things I'd like to see implemented, worrying about these two files is probably a 2... 

-Mike- 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I would think the solution here would be fairly straightforward.  Take the tour and guide files from wherever they are and stick them in the "My Documents" folder.  Then a user can move the files to their computer or delete them completely.

Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

The user guide and tour need to be removable from the list. Seeing how you have them online in the FAQ section, having them at all seems silly.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 602 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: