Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
miclinda
0 Kudos

Nook vs Kindle

A friend of mine says she has a Kindle and loves it.  Are they basically the same product or is one easier to use?  Does one have more features than the other?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Nook vs Kindle

[ Edited ]

There are lots of little differences.

For me, the big difference is because the major e-books all have DRM (Digital Rights Management, or copy protection).

With a Kindle, you have to buy your DRMed e-books from Amazon.

With a NOOK, you can buy DRMed e-books from almost anybody except Amazon. You can also check e-books out from the library (many libraries provide this service).

I have DRMed e-books from Barnes & Noble, Fictionwise, eReader.com, Sony, and Kobo. A few months ago Target had a sale on Sony e-book gift cards ($25 cards for $15), and a lot of us NOOK owners stocked up. You can't read a Sony e-book on a Kindle, but you can on a NOOK.

As a corollary: with a Kindle, each DRMed e-book that you buy from Amazon can only be read on a Kindle or a Kindle app on an iPad, PC, iPhone, etc. The more DRMed e-books you buy from Amazon, the more "locked in" you are to Kindle because you'd have to walk away from those Amazon e-books if you wanted to switch to something else. With Kindle, Amazon owns you.

Now, if you're an international traveler, the Kindle makes more sense. The NOOK is not an international device, whereas the Kindle is.

New User
Topsy22
0 Kudos

I bought both the Nook and Kindle so I could compare and use them side-by-side.  I kept the Nook for a number of reasons.  First, I liked the idea of being able to download e books from the public library which you could not do with the Kindle. That feature works very well and I feel the selection of avialble ebooks at the library will quickly grow.  I liked not having "buttons" or keys to have to keep clean. Since you are not requried to input lots of information in the Nook, I liked the "touch" pad approach.  I only use the Nook for reading, not researching.  I think that the "learning curve" might be greater with the Nook than the Kindle. 

DD
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ miclinda,

As you can see, a Kindle owner will encourage you to buy the Kindle; a nook owner will suggest the nook.

Google "nook v kindle" and check out the features of both to see what most meets your needs and expectations.

Even though I live outside the US, I chose the nook - I'm a long-time B&N customer, already have a collection B&N and Fictionwise ebooks; I don't like the always-there keyboard; important considerations was a user-replaceable battery, the ability to expand the storage with an SD card and borrow ebooks from the library.

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

For me, the ability to read library books was the deciding factor.  I have had my Nook for three weeks now and so far I have read two books, both from the library.  I have purchased some books too, I just have not read them yet. 

I also like the idea that I can change the battery when the time comes and that I can expand the memory.  However, it was the ability to check out library books that won me over.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Technically I would think you could check out PDF's from the library and read them on a Kindle?  I'm not sure though... PDF's don't look very good on e-book readers though.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
katworley

The Kindle isn't compatible with the DRM used by most libraries, so generally speaking, no, you can't check PDFs out from the library and read them on the Kindle.

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I always wondered about that.  Thanks for clearing it up for me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
MarieH
0 Kudos

@josienjo,

you mentioned that you reside outside US.  So how do you purchase & download ebooks?  I just spoke with digital support, and they told me, there's no way i can do it unless i've purchased and downloaded all the ebooks with a US-based credit card before leaving US.  I was helping a friend decide which of the 2 e-readers to get.  I'm so sold with NOOK because of its open-book format and its appearance as well...but for international based customers....that i am not sure of.  Is there any other way or site that I can purchase and download ebooks using NOOK? Is syncing ebooks bought from other vendors from compuuter to nook easy and possible?

anyone can answer who feels can help.

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

You can't purchase from Barnes&Noble from outside the US... but once the books are purchased and in the account library associated with your nook you CAN download them directly to the nook via WiFi. Your options are:

1. have someone IN the US do the purchasing from B&N so that you can download them directly to your nook from outside the US. This is apparently done by many people stationed overseas with the military or working for extended periods. They email the list of books they want to someone stateside. That person purchases the book through the nook owner's account. Once the books are in the account, they download to the nook over a WiFi network connection.

2. purchase your ebooks from a retailer OTHER than B&N (or Amazon... since the DRM format Amazon uses is incompatible with the nook). Who you'd use would depend on where you are and what ebook sources are available to you. If you get books from someone other than B&N, you'd have to download them to your computer and sideload them to the nook, but it's perfectly doable. You just have to make sure that the books are in one of the file formats and DRM schemes (if the book has DRM "protection") compatible with the nook. 

Of course, you can do both.... The beauty of the nook over the Kindle is that you CAN buy DRM protected books from sources other than B&N. I have books on my nook from B&N, from Fictionwise, from eReader.com, from Sony, from BooksOnBoard, as well as a couple of others that I can't think of offhand. The B&N books download directly to the nook, while the others are sideloaded. I use Calibre to manage my sideloaded content, but there are other ways of doing it. 

HTH-

KW

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

MarieH wrote:

@josienjo,

you mentioned that you reside outside US.  So how do you purchase & download ebooks?  I just spoke with digital support, and they told me, there's no way i can do it unless i've purchased and downloaded all the ebooks with a US-based credit card before leaving US.  I was helping a friend decide which of the 2 e-readers to get.  I'm so sold with NOOK because of its open-book format and its appearance as well...but for international based customers....that i am not sure of.  Is there any other way or site that I can purchase and download ebooks using NOOK? Is syncing ebooks bought from other vendors from compuuter to nook easy and possible?

anyone can answer who feels can help.

I have a home in the US and travel back and forth often enough so that it's not a problem for me.  But if you search these boards, there are a few ways to accomplish it.

If you have a US account with B&N, a trusted friend or relative in the States can do the purchase for you.  Once the book is in your account you can download it anywhere you get a wi-fi connection.

There are other sources that may not be as strict as B&N.  I believe I'm able to purchase and download from Fictionwise, even though it's now owned by B&N, but I haven't done it in quite awhile.  I've read on these boards, I believe, that Kobo in Canada is a good source for ebooks.

B&N servers need to see a US ISP and people have made suggestions on ways you can mask your international ISP and make it appear as if it's within the US.

If you buy books from sources other than B&N, it's definitely possible and quite easy to transfer ebooks to your nook.  They would just go into your "my documents" library rather than your B&N library.  It's called sideloading and if you search for that term, you'll find a lot of information.  There's also a section in the user guide on it.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@miclinda,

I have attached a link that will bring you to a product comparison page between NOOK WiFi, NOOK 3G+WiFi, and Kindle 2:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

I hope this helps.

Contributor
MarieH
0 Kudos

Thanks katworley!! You are so wonderful giving  me all those informations.  I have mobipocket that handles all my digital medias.  I searched Calibre and I believe it functions the same.  I would just have to learn how to sync it with NOOK.  I'd probably try it with my BBerry first and see if it syncs well.  Coz I have Nook software in it.  I'll learn sideloading first.  Dunno if it works the sameway with BBerry. Then get NOOK right away. Thank you!!

Contributor
MarieH
0 Kudos

Thanks Josienjo!! Very wonderful of you to share all those informations. It helped a lot!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ MarieH,

You are quite welcome.  You'll find many extremely helpful people on this site!

Contributor
dmdcissp
0 Kudos

The deciding factor for me, was the pricing on the e-books. In my profession, I need access to a lot of technical books. I used to pay anywhere between $25.00 - $75.00 per book. Now I only pay $9.89 - $30.00 per ebook. Big difference! Also, I can get some free......

Overall, Amazon prices for their ebooks seem to be higher than B&N.

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

Definitly the Nook. Better prices on books, drm free, and the nook has better build quality. It was a no brainer for me. :smileyhappy:

Reader
alangst
0 Kudos

Well,  I made the plunge into e-readers this past christmas, and decided to go with a Kindle2.    And I am still amazed at how easy it is to sink into a book with an e-reader vs. a normal hardcover.     I have even managed to loan the kindle to my Mom, and she is now ready for an e-reader.

After this past weeks price drops I decided to pick up a Nook, and have about a day's experience playing around with it, so I'll give a few impressions.

First off, the functionality of both are great, honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either option.     The Nook does seem to be a bit of a flashier product due to the color touch screen, and more recent design.   While this is great, It also makes the Nook a bit more difficult to navigate.   I've decided that I'll probaly let my Mom continue using the Kindle as her main reader since she's a little bit less tech savvy, and I'll switch over to the Nook.

One unique aspect of a Kindle that I just find kind of cool, even though i've rarely used it, is the text-to-speech option that allows you to turn some books into audio books.    This is a great bit of technology, but it is prohibited on most new books due to publisher restrictions.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@alangst

Welcome over from the Dark Side!:smileyvery-happy:

Once you get used to it, I doubt you'll continue to find the Nook any more difficult to navigate.  I think you're really going to like the freedom of being able to buy books in so many more places than you were able to before -- although your feelings may be more mixed when you get your credit card bill.

I'm with you on the text-to-speech feature though.  I wish we had it, and I don't mind computerized voices.  I hope someday we'll see an update that includes it.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

I'm with you on the text-to-speech feature though.  I wish we had it, and I don't mind computerized voices.  I hope someday we'll see an update that includes it.

Unless all of the publishers completely relent on their desire to control TTS, I doubt we'll see it happen. As far as I know, B&N's DRM system doesn't provide any detailed rights management. You've either got the key to the e-book or you don't.

I don't think that even Adobe's DRM currently has TTS rights management.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 284 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: