Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Nook wakes up dead - total battery drain NOT!

[ Edited ]

I've done more battery pulls on this version of the software (1.5.0) than any other version.

I typically run with airplane mode ON.  

But if my nook sits un-used for two days, it almost always will totally lock up and be dead when I try to use it.   I've actually seen this happen over night too.

Most often, it will have the screen saver image on the screen - NOT the "Nook has shut down to save battery" screen.  So its not even getting to the three day shutdown.

I suspect there is some problem with the synchronizing reading location when airplane mode is on.

Recovery often entails more than just the recommended taking out the battery for while then replacing and recharging.  Often that won't work, and I have to swap batteries with my wife's nook, then swap back.  Either that or pull battery, plug in till light comes on and reboot starts, (about 30 seconds) and then put battery back in.  This method always works, even tho its not recommended.

The thing is, once rebooted, the nook NEVER shows a depleated battery. Its always 30 to 60 percent.  Its a WiFi+3G model original nook.

Is anyone else seeing these unexplained lock-up-while-sleeping problems?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook wakes up dead - total battery drain NOT!

icebike wrote:

I've done more battery pulls on this version of the software (1.5.0) than any other version.

I typically run with airplane mode ON.  

But if my nook sits un-used for two days, it almost always will totally lock up and be dead when I try to use it.   I've actually seen this happen over night too.

Most often, it will have the screen saver image on the screen - NOT the "Nook has shut down to save battery" screen.  So its not even getting to the three day shutdown.

I suspect there is some problem with the synchronizing reading location when airplane mode is on.

Recovery often entails more than just the recommended taking out the battery for while then replacing and recharging.  Often that won't work, and I have to swap batteries with my wife's nook, then swap back.  Either that or pull battery, plug in till light comes on and reboot starts, (about 30 seconds) and then put battery back in.  This method always works, even tho its not recommended.

The thing is, once rebooted, the nook NEVER shows a depleated battery. Its always 30 to 60 percent.  Its a WiFi+3G model original nook.

Is anyone else seeing these unexplained lock-up-while-sleeping problems?

I have had this occur twice.

In both cases the NOOK was put down with a low battery already.

In both cases the screen saver was displayed when I picked up the NOOK the next morning, and nothing I was able to do could wake it.

In both cases plugging the NOOK into the wall charger allowed it to boot after charging for about 30 minutes.

Mine is a 3G/WiFi model delivered in January of 2010, currently running release 1.5.

I never put it in airplane mode (unless I am on an airplane).

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I have also had similar problems - WiFi/3G, v 1.5.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern. Sometimes it will go from nearly fully charged to dead overnight.  Other times it will be frozen and pulling the battery will cause a reboot and normal behavior.  I has happened with new and old batteries. It was purchased in Jan 2010 and this started after the 1.5 update.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

I have also had similar problems - WiFi/3G, v 1.5.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern. Sometimes it will go from nearly fully charged to dead overnight.  Other times it will be frozen and pulling the battery will cause a reboot and normal behavior.  I has happened with new and old batteries. It was purchased in Jan 2010 and this started after the 1.5 update.

But when you finally get it booted, are you in fact seeing that it is depleated?  

What drives me nuts it that the battery is often at least 30%.  Not always, but often.

Even when it is zero, what would cause this?  There has to be some run-away task that is killing battery as it enters sleep mode, or after it is already in sleep mode.

I'm trying Larry's method of leaving airplane mode off for a few days to see if that solves the problem.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Sometimes it's totally drained at other times it's just frozen and removing and reinserting the battery gets it to reboot and the battery still has most of its charge.  No pattern that I can discern.  I agree that there is software issue since it never locked up before the 1.5 update.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@icebike

I got my Nook the same time that Larry got his, and have never seen this problem. 

Two differences between my usage and Larry's:  (1.) mine is normally in Airplane Mode, and (2.) I never put it down with the battery low -- if the battery is at ~30% or less when I finish for the day, I plug it in and let it charge overnight.

The main difference I see between your usage and mine is that I never leave it in Sleep Mode for more than about 18 hours -- no multiple days.

icebike wrote:

That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me, especially in a low-battery situation.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I have an original Nook3G and have never experienced this problem.  I have left the Nook alone for a week and had it turn off, I have put it down with the battery basically depleted, etc.

2 main differences between what you are doing and what I am doing: 1) i don't use Airplane mode, 2) I don't have it synchronizing my reading position.

I would suspect that 2) is the culprit.  They probably didn't do a good job coding for eventuality that someone would want their reading place synchronized but then didn't have the device set to where it could communicate with the servers.

Oh, and there is no "a" in depleted.  The "depleated" would imply you took the pleats out of a piece of clothing like a shirt or pants. :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 867 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: