Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MCA200
0 Kudos

Nook won't open book

I received my Nook on 4 January and loaded the Bible (Old and New testement) plus The Dome, and a few other books.  Tried to open the Bible and the screen froze as did the Nook.  None of the buttons worked.  After a call to BN support they had me take out the battery and use the power cord.  Then put the battery back in.  That worked to reset the Nook.  After additional freezes and batter disconnects to rest it, BN gave me a new battery as a fix.  That did not work nor has the new software update.  I did find that pressing the on/off button for a second or two relit the bottom screen, and then a longer hold reset the Nook.  I had been able to open and read the bible until tonight when all I got was the "opening your book" screen.  The time on the nook did keep advancing and I could go and open other books.  After multiple tries to open the bible, it finally opened.  BN have a major software problem and the "battery fix" nor the latest "upgrade" have not fixed it.  My wife has a Kindle and has had no problem with it...plus it reads her books to her.  A neat plus.  BN will have a good ereader WHEN it fixes its problems.  Hope that is soon. 

Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

Re: Nook won't open book

I picked up my nook today, after waiting impatiently till I'd scraped together enough pennies, and am finding the same problem.  Most of my books open fine, but there are three (including the one I was currently reading in the PC version of the Ereader software, naturally) that hang at "Opening Your Book".  I'm most disappointed!

I've tried downloading several of the free books I have on my E-Wishlist, though, and those seem to open fine.  All three of the books which will not open, interestingly enough, are books that had already been downloaded to and read on my PC, and these copies are "re-downloads" from my B&N online library.

I'll try moving these three to My Documents as others find works, though it's a disappointment that they're not working as they should in the B&N Library section.

Here's hoping the next firmware update fixes this issue.

New User
missunique45
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem that my nook won't open my book.  I'm almost finished reading my book that had 1095 pages and I have a little over 200  pages left and it is stuck loading for hours and I am on still on hold for the last 30 minutes.

Reader 2
bonniepup
0 Kudos

I solved this by forcing a shutdown when it opening ebook went on way too long.   The next several times I tried to open it told me the book was unavailable.  I then moved it to archive from my nook.  I unarchived it at B&N website and checked for new content on my nook.  Opened without a problem then.

Contributor
Gayze
0 Kudos

I tried to use BonniePup's suggestion of archiving from the nook, only to discover that there is no "archive" option on some of the books in my B&N Library on the nook.  Unless I'm totally missing something, that is.  Some books have the option to archive, others do not.  Of the three books that I've been unable to open, two did not have an "archive" option. 

All three of those books open just fine from My Documents, so I'm able to read them, just not in the section of the nook where they should belong.

I will try the archive/unarchive option first from now on, though, if I find the issue continues with other downloads.  So far it's just been those three (she types with fingers crossed....)

New User
silverwolfKG
0 Kudos

i've had that problem a couple of times. i had to plug my nook into the computer go into "my computer", find your nook drive. click onto "my bn downloads" find the book(s) not opening. right click on it and copy to your my documents. eject your nook. wait for it to be sent to the nook's documents then go into your documents on your nook and open it. it should open right away. if not close it out wait a couple of minutes and check your documents on the nook again. it should work this time.

New User
Dulac71
0 Kudos

I too am having the same problem.  I took it to a local B&N store.  The pulled the battery, charged it without, pu tthe battery back in and I thought it was fixed.  I was not.  The "fixes" I have read are way too much.  Surely B&N is working on the problem.  I would like th hear from them on this Q&A.

Reader
Mica281
0 Kudos

Ok I'm a little beyond frustrated.  My nook is stuck on "Opening your book" since 4:30 pm.  It's now 9:08pm.  I have tried to force it to turn off numerous times holding the power button.  I have taken the battery out.  I left it out for 15 minutes.  The screen stayed on the page I was reading with the "Opening your Book" message.  It never went out.  I thought it would reset when I took the battery out but no.  I'm almost sorry that I didn't get the Kindle now but the features on Nook were more to my liking.  Now I think I should have waited.

New User
vidar
0 Kudos

I unregistered, then reregistered the nook after the update. Books that wouldn't open, now opened.

New User
chriscourt
0 Kudos

I have archived a book and now my nook will not move  from that screen, it won't turn off, go forward or back, it just sits there (for an hour).  Any ideas?

New User
malMK
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem and am very upset. At first I could not open one of the books in my library. And now I cannot open any of them! Only my sampels will open. It works just fine when I side load it through My Documents, but I do not want to do this each time I buy a book. The point is to be able to access books quicker and easier through nook, and this process is very frustrating.

I also called customer service multiple times and was put on hold for over 30 minutes. Each time I had to hang up because I had other things to do. I even went to a Barnes and Noble store, but they didn't know what was wrong and told me to call customer service!

I am very disappointed in Barnes and Noble right now. I really loved my nook when it worked properly. All I want it to do is open my book! I am thinking I should have bought a kindle...

Contributor
47klj
0 Kudos

I'll be returning my Nook tomorrow. Got it Friday and I can't even count how many times I've removed the battery, registered, unregistered and re-registered. Half the books I bought I cannot open. If I see the words "loading" and opening your book" ever again it will be too soon. As I am typing this my screen has said "opening your book" for the past half hour. I think I'll just stick with my ipod touch for now.

New User
shareleann
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone with all the great tips on how to fix this problem.

Here's what I did:

1. reset Nook ( power down, remove battery, replace battery, power up)
  2. archived book that wouldn't open (Chosen, house of night series #3)
  3. unregistered my nook
  4. reregistered my nook
  5. unarchived book (at this point the book opened, but froze on cover page, so I powered down & back up)
  6. checked for new B&N content
  7. redownloaded book

It opens fine now & I am on my way to continuing the series.

Hope this may help someone else.

Contributor
ExileJelly
0 Kudos

The things we'll go through to get our precious nooks to do its A-1 function...opening ebooks!  And then we have other people on these help boards accusing us of being kindle-readers just spreading lies about the nook, or treating us like imbeciles who don't know how to register the nook, or treating us to some other "blame the user" insults.

I almost threw my nook against a wall last night because, of course, the one book that I REALLY wanted to read last night was the ONLY one I couldn't get to open.  Couldn't get past "Opening Your Book," or "Loading" in about 12 attempts, including unarchiving and re-downloading.  Tonight when I get home, I am going to try all this syncing nonsense.  And if I'm really feeling adventurous, I might just bash my head into a wall over and over again while I'm at it.

But by golly, I'm BN through and through.

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

I'm also having this problem. I came on here to see if there was some sort of solution. After reading this whole thread, I think it's pretty bogus to have to jump through hoops just to open a book. grr...

I'll try the latest suggestions and see what happens.

New User
rebrus99
0 Kudos

I purchased my Nook on 2/25. I have spent more time tonight trying to open a book than I did actually reading. It's like having someone slapping a book out of your hand while you are trying to read. Reading is supposed to be relaxing. The processor is too slow and from what I have read, B&N has been too slow to respond to any of the concerns posted anywhere on the web. They are on the right path it is just not functional. The fact of the matter is this is a first generation device. I have packaged up my Nook and will be returning it tomorrow.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your feedback and we apologize for any issues you have had accessing/attempting to access eBooks in your nook Library.

Below I have administered instructions that should alleviate most of these issues:

On the nook,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your nook)
2. Highlight the eBook (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

Once this update is completed, then you want to Unarchive the eBook in order to re-download the content

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the eBook you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that eBook.

If the issue persists after taking these steps, please let me know.

Your Admin.,
Michael-V

Reader
LynnG
0 Kudos

I did all that and all I get is:

EXAMPLE; Row 29:

P3,K3.P3, accross row to last 18 sts

an every page has  the same thing

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@LynnG:

Have you contacted Customer Support?  You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-843-2665. 

You can also email Barnes & Noble directly.

New User
PicassoIndy
0 Kudos

Thanks that worked for me Michael!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 729 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: