Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MrPine
0 Kudos

Nook won't open book

I bought a book on B & N. It showed up and downloaded just fine to my library on the nook. 

But when i go to open it it jsut stays on the "opening your book" forever. it wont go off that page.

i moved it to my archive, then unarchived it, and that didnt work.

Don't Worry, I'm The Doctor!
Contributor
Just_Me_6
0 Kudos

Re: Nook won't open book

I'm having trouble too. Did you download the new update? I did, and now it won't open a book I just bought. Even worse, I can't reach anyone at Customer Service. I've been on hold 30 minutes with no sign of anyone picking up on their end. I am getting very pissed off about this problem with the Nook and now the non-existent customer service.

Frequent Contributor
MrPine
0 Kudos

That is so funny. 

because yes I have the new update. and as I type this, i have been on hold for 45 minutes with CS>

Not even an update saying the call was important or anything

Don't Worry, I'm The Doctor!
New User
NomDePlumeNY
0 Kudos

Same for me. After updating to 1.2 this morning, I purchased and downloaded a new ebook.

I am still able to read the public domain ebooks that I downloaded for free when I first received the nook (Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" for example)

I'm hesitant to buy any more ebooks from B&N, if they aren't going to be compatible with my nook. I thought this was supposed to be seamless?

Reader
stroh
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue on at least one book that I purchased before updating. I was reading it before I upgraded and now am stuck at a "Loading" screen when trying to read it. Some of my other books seem to work ok.

Contributor
Droid937
0 Kudos

I'm also stuck on the "Loading" window.

New User
Brian1121
0 Kudos

The only thing I could suggest trying is downloading the title manually from the website and sideloading it into your My Documents.  That solved an ongoing problem I was having that no one at customer support could figure out.

Contributor
Fallguy
0 Kudos

I have two nooks. Purchased one before Christmas and the other arrived a week ago. I have updated both to the new revision. I have about 6 books that will not open. Basically the same as the old formatting problem except now it freezes while "opening your book" rather than the old formatting message. I did speak with CS. (I have found the wait times greatly reduced) They finally said to side load the books which is the same fix as before. At least now the My documents directory can be sorted which is very helpful. I had sideloaded my books on my older nook so when I updated my immediate reaction was positive. Many of the bugs had been resolved. Then I decided to go to my B&N library and see if the formatting issue was resolved. It was not. I fired up my newer nook, which did not have sideloaded books, and the same books would not open on it. From my standpoint, the primary issue, books not opening is the same as it was before the update.

I am really pleased with the rest of the fixes and the improvements in CS wait times. I liked the old icons better but could really care less about that.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the problem currently on two books.  With software version 1.1.1 it would say formatting forever instead.  Now at 1.2.

Over time I have seen my books that cannot be read changed.  For example I cannot currently read "Ben Hur" (google) and Pride and prejudice(B&N) in my B&N library.  at one time I could read Pride and prejudice but couldn't read two books The Magic Kingdom of Landover (vol1 and vol 2).  The later 2 worked when originally downloaded, then stopped working for awhile, and then started working again.  All my books that don't work in B&N work fine if I copy them to My Documents.

New User
Reader50
0 Kudos

I have not completed the download of the new version so I am stuck with the Formatting message. Someone mentioned opening the back of the nook and taking out the battery. Did this work for anyone? Has anyone tried taking it to a B&N store? Any assistance there?

Contributor
MrsAmanda7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I also completed the update this morning.  I am not able to open a book.  It just sits there and says "Opening Your Book"

Perhaps I'll take off the cover and remove and reset the battery.

Okay- It helped.  I can now open books again.  Hopefully that will be the only glitch for me.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I may have found a way to fix some books that will not open, at least under 1.2.

In addition to the books I mentioned before, Ben Hur and Pride and Prejudice, I started to have another one not open.  It was David Copperfield, I had been looking at it on the PC and switched it back to the beginning.

Syncing of position is now suppose to be working between the Nook and the PC (not sure if it is but thats another possible problem).

I went in to each of the books that was not working, on the PC DESKTOP, and switched the current read point to the beginning of chapter 2.  Then had the PC Desktop do a sync.  I then went to the Nook had it check for new B&N content and each of them now opens, not at the same read point, but they now opened.  I think it was getting lost finding the last read point.  As I mentioned these same books had read when copied from the B&N directory to the My Documents directory.

Reader
ChrissyRN
0 Kudos

I didn't have any problems withe the nook until this recent update. Now when I try to open a book it gets stuck on "opening your book" has anyone been able to get a hold of customer service? I removed the battery but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I did a soft reset(powering down) 3 times before my book would finally load.

Reader
rwhalen57
0 Kudos

exact same issue - I have taken out the battery so often due to frozen screens and trying to fix this issue that now my front cover has cracked!

Got tired of listening to bad elevator music while on hold with c.s. - what a joke

I do not know if this issue is a result of the new software download or not, as I downloaded the new software and then could not get some (not all) of my books open). 

I got this as an XMAS gift - personally I would have waited until all the bugs were worked out.

I do not know if this was fixed in latest s.w update, but I was having a problem with nook remembering last page read and had to manually forward - also page turns slow.

Frequent Contributor
LessPaul
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have two books from B&N ("Dracula" and "My Soul to Lose" by Rachel Vincent) that refused to open under 1.1.1 and still won't open under 1.2.0.

Moving them to "My Documents" allows me to open and read them. Seems like an easy thing for B&N to fix, but apparently not. Since the book search and coverflow only work in the B&N folder, I'd like to see this corrected. 

Frequent Contributor
harrier47
0 Kudos

MrPine wrote:

I bought a book on B & N. It showed up and downloaded just fine to my library on the nook. 

But when i go to open it it jsut stays on the "opening your book" forever. it wont go off that page.

i moved it to my archive, then unarchived it, and that didnt work.

Yeah, this is the only bug I've had which 1.2.0 didn't fix for me. One single BN purchased book won't open unless moved to the Documents folder. Every suggested trick has failed.

At least now it sticks on "Opening your book" instead of "Formatting....etc"

harrier

p.s. By the way, belated kudos to the nook software team for a great patch; this is one great e-reader!

New User
kat13c
0 Kudos

I just received my nook in the mail two days ago.  I had purchased 7 books before it had arrived, knowing they would be available to me when I first turned it on.  There they were, on my b&n content.  I downloaded the first and then hit 'read'.  As you all know... the 'opening book' screen stayed on there.  That's when I found this page.  I did as each of you suggested and nothing was working.  Yeah, I sideloaded and was able to read the books I bought.  But I just spent $259 on something that I should be able to have all the features for.  I've been bragging about this purchase to everyone and the last thing I want is to show it to my friends and say "This is how it's supposed to work, but for now I have to do this."  So, I kept trying and finally hit something that worked for me.  See if you can do the same.  First I erased everything off my Nook.  By that I mean I went into the b&n downloads file and deleted everthing and did the same for the my documents file.  Then I sideloaded all the books into My Documents.  Before you open any of them on your nook.  Use the pc e-reader and open each book.  Page forward a couple of pages as if you've read a little.  Then sync.  Then go to your nook and open all of the books in My Documents.  Page forward until the nook finally shows the page number at the bottom of the screen.  Then go to the B&N content and download each.  Each of the books opened up to the exact page I left off in My Documents.  After that, I just went back in and deleted them off of My Documents and I have a fully functional Nook.  Hope it works for you too.

New User
LAKOH
0 Kudos

Love that update!! Completed it a couple days ago, then bought another book and it won't open it. It opens all my old books but not that one. The battery thing didn't help. Any luck finding a simple way to fix this? I've read all the tips about syncing with a PC, moving books to documents etc. Perhaps they need an update for the update!

Contributor
Macran
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with some of my books. I went to a B&N store today and archived and unarchived the books I was having trouble with...including checking for updates after each archive/unarchive function in order to sync things. Still no luck.

I downloaded 3 new books today and 2 out of 3 did download and open properly but the third did not. I have them all sideloaded and they work fine from the My documents section but as with everyone else, the problem seems to be in the My B&N section.

I am sure B&N software engineers are aware of this issue now and will have it fixed soon.

I guess that what bothers me is that it appears like there is no quality control taking place prior to the software drop being sent out. I say this because this problem is too obvious. I hope the next drop has a bit more testing done before it hits the nooks.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 197 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: