Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
elisabec
0 Kudos

Nook won't start up

Yesterday afternoon, my nook worked fine.  Last night, I tried to turn it on to read and it wouldn't go past the "your device is starting up" page.  The little chevron symbols just kept going back and forth...  I've tried turning it off which doesn't work.  Actually, I can't even get it to turn off so I can try removing the battery (which is how the instructions say to do it).  I hold the power button for 30 seconds, the chevrons stopped moving and the screen freezes.  I release the power button and it stays on, though frozen.  I push the power button again for a few seconds, then it goes off.  However, about five seconds later, it cycles back on again and this starts all over again.  I've gone through the automatic "installing updates" screen twice now and it doesn't seem to do anything either.  I've tried plugging it in and it still won't get past the start up screen.  This is extremely frustrating. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Re: Nook won't start up

Did you try removing the battery then putting it back it?

Contributor
elisabec
0 Kudos

Not yet because (1) I didn't know last night how since I can't read the B&N blog on my home computer since Netscape doesn't like it and (2) all the instructions I've read says to have the nook turned off before removing.  However, I will try this when I get home from work this evening as I don't have the appropriate screwdriver at work.

Contributor
elisabec
0 Kudos

I found a screwdriver and tried removing and replacing the battery.  Now it's frozen on the start up screen entirely and the screen won't change/turn off.  Of course, at this point, the battery may be dead since it's been trying to turn on for so many hours. And the charging cord is at home.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

elisabec wrote:

I found a screwdriver and tried removing and replacing the battery.  Now it's frozen on the start up screen entirely and the screen won't change/turn off.  Of course, at this point, the battery may be dead since it's been trying to turn on for so many hours. And the charging cord is at home.

When you get home, try plugging it into the wall while the battery is out, I understand this has worked for a great number of people.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I just -- as in, an hour ago -- went through the same problem with Digital Support.  What finally got my Nook going again was holding the On Button down six times in succession, for 20 seconds each time.  This will cause the Nook to reset to factory specs. 

When you do it, it will reload the original software version, then download the current version, then uprev itself.  Then you'll be good to go.

In the process, you'll lose any books or documents you've sideloaded into My Documents, as well as any customized Wallpaper or Screensavers; you'll have to reload them from your backups.  Your B&N Library will still show up, but you'll have to download the books again.

Good luck. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
elisabec
0 Kudos

I've actually tried that process.  Twice.  Didn't work; wouldn't go past the eternal start-up screen.  I've got another hour to go at work but when I get home this evening, I'm going to try a few other things before I have to call for help.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

It didn't work for me until the third try.  Hope you can work it out.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Try these steps, one at a time to get your nook fully functioning again:

1.  Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds and then release.  Then press it again for about 4 seconds to power up your nook. 

2.  The battery on your nook may be completely drained. Connect your nook to a wall outlet using the nook AC-Adapter and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.  In some cases, re-charging may require the following steps below:

-Unplug the nook.

-Remove the battery (if you don't know how, I have attached a video page on how to remove the battery: 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=30195#vid3

-The Nook should begin to go through its booting process.  Once booted, replace the battery (don't turn the nook off or unplug) and charge your nook for at least 2 hours.   

If you are unable to access your eBooks, you may want to go to your eBooks library online at BN.com and archive and then unarchive the eBooks in question.  Then on your nook, check for new content and see if you still receive the same message. 

There also may be an issue with your log in info. You may want to double check your account online to make sure you have a default payment and billing address set up.  Sometimes retyping your credit card number helps.  Also, if you have a middle initial in your billing info, try taking that out.  

If you are still having any problems with your nook, please call Customer Service to help troubleshoot your unit. You may call toll-free in the United States at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and ask for Digital Support.  

I hope this helps.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Contributor
elisabec
0 Kudos

I tried all these solutions.  As did the tech I called at Digital Support.  In the end, nothing would make the nook get past the start-up screen - it simply just froze and then stayed that way even if unplugged and battery removed (meaning the screen would stay there and frozen even with no power, like a permanent watermark).  So the Nook is being replaced.

Thank you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Glad you are getting it replaced.

elisabec wrote:

it simply just froze and then stayed that way even if unplugged and battery removed (meaning the screen would stay there and frozen even with no power, like a permanent watermark).   

That is part of the magic of EInk.  It uses no power to display an image or a page of text.  

This is not a bug, its a feature.  It takes power to put an image on the screen, but once there, it takes no power to continue to show it.

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

I just went through calling Customer Support because i thought my Nook had "froze" on me.

Turns out, the battery was dead, but because the e-Ink screen requires no power, it was just stuck on my screensaver. I got concerned when I took my battery out and it was still stuck on my screensaver, so I called Customer Service. Then, I learned about the whole e-Ink and how it doesn't need any power, but that because the battery was dead it couldn't actually change the screen to a blank screen when it was off.

So, we could tell it was working okay when I took the battery out completely & then plugged the device in and turned it on.. viola!

So I put my battery back in and plugged it in for a bit and once it had enough juice, I was good to go. Letting it charge fully now.

So it may be a lot of these "Freeze" issues, may just be dead batteries.

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
New User
thorinescudo
0 Kudos

Hi, I had the same problem and proved to push six times (20 secons each time) power button and it worked. I lost all my documents but my Nook back to life.

Thanks for solution!!!

Contributor
elisabec
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, for me, it wasn't a dead battery issue since the Nook was fully charged.  In the end, my nook was replaced.  I've wondered if just that particular device was faulty to begin with since it froze quite often when I would open a new book and I would have to turn it off and reboot for it to work.  ~shrug~ 

New User
helenmoon
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me but I was at the airport waiting for my flight to Russia and was going away for two weeks. I read this forum only when I got to Russia and the only thing that worked for me was restoring my Nook to the factory settings by pressing and holding the power button 6 times for 20 seconds after what I had to reregister Nook which I wasn't able to do since I was overseas. So I was stuck on the flight there and back with 12 and 6 hrs of layovers without anything to read. Good thing I am Russian and was able to buy some books at the airport. Very disappointed!!! Can't Christmas present which will be iPad!

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

helenmoon wrote:

The same thing happened to me but I was at the airport waiting for my flight to Russia and was going away for two weeks. I read this forum only when I got to Russia and the only thing that worked for me was restoring my Nook to the factory settings by pressing and holding the power button 6 times for 20 seconds after what I had to reregister Nook which I wasn't able to do since I was overseas. So I was stuck on the flight there and back with 12 and 6 hrs of layovers without anything to read. Good thing I am Russian and was able to buy some books at the airport. Very disappointed!!! Can't Christmas present which will be iPad!

First, if you have access to Wi-Fi, then you can re-register and re-download previously purchased B&N ebooks even overseas.

Second, you can sideload your B&N ebooks to an unregistered Nook.

Third, if you have ebooks sideloaded onto a microSD card, they should survive a factory reset.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@lkmiller,

That is correct. 

NOOK can be registered while overseas and you can also sync the device with what is in your locker, including any eBooks that were purchased while in the USA.  You cannot however purchase any new eBooks onto NOOK while the NOOK is overseas.

New User
SeaTheWorld
0 Kudos

I tried the holding the on botton for 6 times for 20-30 seconds each time, didn't work. 

So, I took the battery out for about 3 mins., put it back in and it started going through the "Factory Fallback" reloading.  It's been doing that for about the past 15 mins. - turning on, turning off, showing a blue bar that it's loading, getting to the fully loaded part, then starting all over again, then turning off, turning on and being stuck at the "Your Device is Starting Up" screen where it was originally stuck.   It's turned on and off now at least 40 times and has never gotten past the stuck "Your Device is Starting Up" screen.

Now it's back to "Installing the Software Update" box that appears with the blue loading bar for the third or fourth time.  What do I do know?

Reader 4
ducky_love
0 Kudos

Well- I put my Nook on the shelf since I haven't been traveling as much.  I plugged it in and it tried to start up while plugged in and froze.  I have pulled the battery and tried to restart while it was plugged in - still no luck.  It won't even "turn on and turn off" it is just stuck.  I've tried all the different ways to hold down the reset button.

It looks like after a very buggy life and cracked buttons it may really be dead.  I don't think I will buy another Nook... 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

ducky_love wrote:

Well- I put my Nook on the shelf since I haven't been traveling as much.  I plugged it in and it tried to start up while plugged in and froze.  I have pulled the battery and tried to restart while it was plugged in - still no luck.  It won't even "turn on and turn off" it is just stuck.  I've tried all the different ways to hold down the reset button.

It looks like after a very buggy life and cracked buttons it may really be dead.  I don't think I will buy another Nook... 

Have you tried to simply plug it in and leave it for awhile?  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 57 members 788 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: