Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Melissa42
0 Kudos

Nook won't turn on.

I recently plugged my Nook in to recharge.  Initially when I plugged it in the light was yellow.  The next morning when I went to turn it on it wouldn't turn on.  I unplugged it from the socket and tried again and it still wouldn't turn on.  I tried my son's cord and still I can't get it to turn on.  Any suggestions?

Distinguished Correspondent
scotta316
0 Kudos

Re: Nook won't turn on.

If I remember correctly, the manual says if your Nook is unresponsive to hold the power button (on the back at the top) for 15-20 seconds to completely power it off. Then turn it back on by holding the power button for a few seconds.

If your Nook pops up asking if you want to power it off, ignore that pop-up and continue to hold the button for 15-20 seconds. When I've done this on my Nook, is doesn't look like it's turned off, as it leaves my book on the screen. But it really is off.

New User
lucyyy
0 Kudos

I have a new nook tablet  it is on the charger and charging. I was using it for a while and the screen went blank and now can't turn it on.  I did change the screen setting to go off after 5 minutes but that is all I did.

how can i turn it on?

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

You might have better luck inquiring in the Nook Tablet forum that's also on this site. There would propbably be more people who would know how to help you there. This forum is intended for people using the original Nooks (with the small color screen at the bottom for controling and large B&W eInk screen for reading).

Click the "Browse Book Clubs" link above for a list of all the forums.

Few rechargable devices ship with anywhere near a full chatge. If your tablet is right out of the gift wrap you will probably need to recharge it for several hours befor using it much. While that would only take about three hours for the classic Nooks, I don't know how long it would take for the tablet model.

New User
tigress98
0 Kudos

if you didnt carge your nook all the way when you first bought it it might cause problems

New User
kdgl
0 Kudos

Thanks!!  This worked.

Contributor
Cycosfireball
0 Kudos

I'm really dissappointed to see so many people with this problem, I had my Nook Tablet for 3 days and it started acting up, already.... Took me half an hour to get it to turn back on. Full charge. A 200 Dollar gadget should not have this many people havng the SAME issues.

New User
dms45
0 Kudos

I have had this problem twice.  the first time the B&N guru at the store took out the battery, did some smoke and mirrors fix of some sort, had me brfing it home and put it on the charger for 2 hours, then it started right up--6 months later-same issue-I tried the extended hold down of the power button and at least the charging light came on yellow when I plugged it into the usb port of my desktop.--we will see what happens after it charges up again.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 659 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: