Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
EHL8994
0 Kudos

Nook won't turn on...

My nook won't turn on. I've pressed the button for 20 seconds and then pressed again. Also it's plugged into the charger but no light is on.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook won't turn on...

Chances are your nook battery is TOTALLY depleted.  It won't even show a charge light for a while if it is completely drained.

Charge it for an hour.

If that does not work:
Remove back (little tab by power cord)
Remove battery
Plug into wall outlet with battery still OUT
Nook reboots. Wait..... do not unplug
After reboot, reinsert battery with nook still plugged in.
Charge nook completely.  Do not turn off.

Nook can't charge when turned off.

New User
mep64
0 Kudos

I'm having a similar problem, but my Nook will not restart/reboot/do anything when the battery is out and the device is plugged in. I have attempted to use my iPhone adapter to see if there is a problem there, as well as plugging it into the computer, but nothing seems to work. Is this something only customer service can help with? Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

Remove the battery.

Let the nook rest (dissipate any internal charge) for a minute or 5.  Push some buttons, etc.

Then, (and only then), plug it in to the wall charger (battery still out).  Light should come on immediately.

Give it a minute or 3 to reboot.  (Battery still out).

Also, there is a recommendation you leave the battery OUT for 4 hours or over night to recover if it has been totally drained.  (Batteries have a built in protection circuit which takes that long to reset, allegedly).

I've seen this problem with one nook, and the only thing that got it going again was swapping in a fresh battery from another nook.  Then, with it plugged in, swapping batteries back to the original allowed the original to charge.

About the only thing I can think of that would cause this is that something in the boot up sequence can cause the power draw to exceed what the wall charger can actually deliver, and it needs a kick from the battery.  But with a dead battery, there is nothing to supply that kick.  A catch 22.

This is just another reason to live with airplane mode on ALL the time.   If the radio's are on, I suspect it tries to fire these up at some high draw portion of the boot process and over-runs the wall charger's capacity.  B&N needs to carefully look at this power demand during boot to make sure they can boot on wall power with a totally dead (or removed) battery.  I'm not convinced it can do that since release 1.4. 

Luckily, in our situation, we had another nook nearby and the fresh battery jumpstarted the nook.  

So maybe visit a B&N store and sweet talk the book seller into using their battery long enough to boot up and turn the radio off, and plug into an outlet and swap back to your old battery. 

---Edit:

I've just run some tests on this with my nook.

Since release 1.4, my nook will not boot on the wall charger alone.  It won't even try.  Even with a more powerful wall charger.  

B&N:  WE ARE SO SCREWED!  

ANY BATTERY EXHAUSTION IS A DEATH SENTENCE FOR THE NOOK SINCE V1.4 !!!

Used to be you could boot with battery out.  Not any more.  

Can others run this test and verify?  Power down.  Pull battery.  Plug in.

Contributor
cinful
0 Kudos

My mom's Nook has done the same thing, and it did reboot on the plug with battery out. she does have the 1.4 update. so i am not sure what the prb might be. The good News for her is she is getting a new Nook to replace hers due to cracked buttons.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm hoping more people can test this out and post results here, because I have two 3G nooks that won't boot on wall power alone.  

Going to test the wifi only version next.

----  Edit:  WiFi only nook refuses to boot with no battery.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

---Edit:

Since release 1.4, my nook will not boot on the wall charger alone.  It won't even try.  Even with a more powerful wall charger.  

@icebike

I've just run the test and confirm your results.  The amber light is on, but my Nook on the charger with the battery removed no longer reboots.  It has been on the charger for 15 minutes.  My Nook is the original 3G+WiFi.

This is very bad.

B&N:  This requires a maintenance patch, and requires it right away.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

icebike wrote:

---Edit:

@icebike

I've just run the test and confirm your results.  The amber light is on, but my Nook on the charger with the battery removed no longer reboots.  It has been on the charger for 15 minutes.  My Nook is the original 3G+WiFi.

This is very bad.

B&N:  This requires a maintenance patch, and requires it right away.

Just cheked my original replacement (SID# 1002 ie. a new 3G nook with fixed bezels) and it will not start up by AC alone.

yes B&N we need a maintenance patch ASAP... time to try one of those x.1!!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
EHL8994
0 Kudos

Thank you so much! It turned on after the hour charging. I do find it odd that the battery still dies if it's turned off.... because I know it was half charged when I turned it off a few days ago since I knew I wouldn't have time to read.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

It shouldn't have drained when OFF. (white screen).  Not in a few days.  

If there was an image on the screen, it wasn't OFF, it was just sleeping, and that takes some power, especially if airplane mode was OFF.  It would wake up daily and check in with B&N for updates.

But if it ever gets to a state of total depletion you may not be able to charge it at all as we discovered up-thread.

Contributor
EHL8994
0 Kudos

It was definitely completely turned off. And do these previous comments indicate that I have to charge it every day? That is going to get a little annoying...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Bumping this thread to warn people to watch out for rapidly draining nooks, and to check their battery levels due to problem mentioned in post #4 above.

People are still getting caught by this daily.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Surprised that there has been no response from B&N about this yet.  I at least expected the standard, "Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience..." line.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Ozman69 wrote:

Surprised that there has been no response from B&N about this yet.  I at least expected the standard, "Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience..." line.

There are two BIG problems right now, Unexplained Rapid Battery Drain, and this Inability to dead-start with wall power.

They have asked for input on this thread and have seemingly forgotten this thread.

One of these problems would be bad enough, but together they are a perfect storm for nook users.    

We have two nooks in the house, so we can always rob one to get the other booted, and then swap in the dead battery without unplugging, but this is just ridiculous.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@icebike

It's even worse -- B&N is still presenting "take out the battery and plug it in" as a solution.  This was posted two hours ago:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Frozen-Nook/m-p/569867#M16528

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Ozman69 wrote:

There are two BIG problems right now, Unexplained Rapid Battery Drain, and this Inability to dead-start with wall power.

They have asked for input on this thread and have seemingly forgotten this thread.

One of these problems would be bad enough, but together they are a perfect storm for nook users.    

We have two nooks in the house, so we can always rob one to get the other booted, and then swap in the dead battery without unplugging, but this is just ridiculous.  

Same here, two Nooks so I think we'll be safe, but I'd be pissed if I only had one and this happened to me.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
New User
snowcherry
0 Kudos

this has happened to me. nook just sits on standby screen with message about turning it back on. i have done all the troubleshooting i can possibly find inc the battery removal (4 hours plus) and charge from wall, and even leaving it to charge for a whole 48 hours. i finally have bought a new battery and still nothing (left overnight to). i never even get an indicator light. it is possible the new battery was not pre-charged i guess and therefore no juice to charge but i think it might just be dead. 

out of warranty of course. and yes i had updated to 1.4 firmware at some point. :smileysad:

i live in australia so the cost to send it to the US just to find out if it can be rebooted is a bit silly.

i'm debating what to do with it now. cos just 'maybe' it's not dead, just depleted/frozen. 

anyone know if there is any places in brisbane, aus that can look at it? 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 308 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: