Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
AdvRider
0 Kudos

Not able to buy an eBook either with Nook or on the website

After buying many eBooks on the B&N website, and via both the original nook and color nook, starting a month back my ability to purchase has stopped working. No matter how I order the message I receive is:

"You've placed an order with an invalid credit card, so you cannot download at this time."

So, I've tried deleting my credit card then adding it back and added a different card all with no success. Same error every time. Of course the credit cards I've tried work just fine making purchases either in stores or online elsewhere.

I contacted B&N customer support to resolve the problem. They could not directly help me but transferred me to the "audit department". The phone system at that department answers with the message "they are busy" and cannot help at this time. And, there is no voicemail or other means to leave a message. I've called that department three times on different days within their stated hours of operation but always get the "too busy" message.

Next, I tried using the B&N support website to send the audit department a message about my problem. I did receive an automated email response that someone would get back to me, but nothing after more than a week. Back to the website and sent another message explaining that I cannot buy from the B&N business and need their help to spend my money. Again, automated email response that someone would get back to me. Two weeks and still nothing.

Now, this is my last attempt. I've been a B&N customer for years--years of paper books and now eBooks. When the nook became available I bought one immediately and love it. Bought the color nook when that was released and like it even more. Now I can no longer complete a transaction with B&N and they seem to have no interest in resolving the issue. Guess they don't need my money.

For anyone with similar problems, I've found numerous other sources for eBooks that work fine on the nook and have switched my purchasing to these other sources. You need not be stuck buying from a firm that has no interest in their customers. Consider buying with Google Books, goodreads, Kobo or ManyBooks.net.

Thanks for listening.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Not able to buy an eBook either with Nook or on the website

Given what you've described, I'd try PMing one of the board mods here (Alex or Sam). They have seriously expedited some issues for me & others in the past.

They probably won't check their mail til Monday, but then given what you describe I doubt if this mysterious audit department will either.

As a side note, have you had any real or virtual identity theft issues recently? This may be some security measure that's kicked in with either B&N or your CC company. With those type of things it is a better safe than sorry situation, but they can be a pain to untangle when it's a false alarm.

Reader 2
AdvRider
0 Kudos

Good point. I did have a fraud situation on one CC that was resolved quickly by the bank. But, I updated the CC info in BN and added another card. No matter what information I provide ordering does not function on cards that are fine elsewhere.

While it might be possible to get "special help" from the board mods, what troubles me is the lack of interest in the "normal" BN support channels to resolve the problem. I've tried using the tools made available multiple times (phone support, email via support web site, all multiple times). Sad that a long term customer cannot get any responsiveness via multiple support channels. I posted to assure others with similar problems there are many great alternatives. I've found there is no need to buy ebooks from BN to work well on the nook.

I'll take advantage of your suggest and seek the board mods when I have some time. In the interim, I've now found many great sources outside BN for a rich selection of ebooks. It's the path of least effort over wrestling with BN over issues in their systems.

John

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Assuming you haven't changed any information on your account recently, BN won't be able to tell you anything other than the transaction was denied.

Your bank uses software programs to monitor transactions for suspcious activity. If the program flags a vendor for suspcious activity it will block transactions for that vendor.

Most of the time these are false alerts. Call your credit card company to find out what's going on and\or re-authorize purchases from BN.

Reader 2
AdvRider
0 Kudos

I've switched CC in the BN system. The card being used has never had a problem so it can't be the CC's system.

Contributor
CountryDarlin
0 Kudos

I've been having the same issue since mid-October. I have 2 gift cards on my account as well as a valid credit card. Suddenly one day I started receiving the "invalid credit card message" whenever I attempted to make a purchase. I have changed my credit card information twice and still receive the error. All I have received from B&N CS is automated responses stating someone from the audit department will get back to me within 48 hours. It is now February and I haven't received word of communication from the audit department. Have not yet attempted calling customer service because with so many things going on in my life I have been unable to carve out several hours/a whole day to spend on the phone with customer service because I know thats how long it would take for them to attempt to resolve my issue. Interestingly enough I made a physical book purchase through the B&N website using the same default credit card and had no issues. It is incredibly frustrating not to be able to purchase new ebooks for my nook, especially since I was halfway through a series when the error occured. Sadly I was on vacation and attempting to purchase the final 2 books of the series. Has anyone had a similar issue and had it resolved?

New User
madKow
0 Kudos

Has there been any resolution to this? Just started having this problem.

Rather frustrating.

Contributor
CountryDarlin
0 Kudos

I have had absolutely no resolution to this issue, and it has been ongoing since October 2011. I have tried four different credit cards, including a prepaid Visa card that is in no way connected to my bank, and still I'm not able to purchase eBooks through B&N. All I have received from both B&N customer service and the Sales Audit Department after multiple emails is automated responses. Interestingly enough I just used one of the credit cards to purchase the full Harry Potter eBook set from Pottermore and linked it to my B&N account with no problem. Still have not had time to call customer service yet, but will try to carve out time for that tomorrow even though I'm crazy busy getting ready for my wedding on Saturday. Also tonight for the first time I noticed on the My Nook portion of My Account a notice stating that my credit card expired in Jan 1970. All of the cards on my account have very valid expiration dates ranging from 2012 to 2020. Not sure if the 1970 error is what's causing the problem or not. I'm incredibly frustrated with this whole issue and hope I can get it resolved soon.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Have you tried sending Alex a PM?  He might be able to help.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
CountryDarlin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. I'm calling customer service now. If I can't get through then I'll PM a mod. It's just sad that this issue has been going on for so long with little to no response from B&N. It shouldn't take mods escalating issues from support boards on a regular basis to get help. That's what customer service is supposed to be for.

Contributor
CountryDarlin
0 Kudos

Holy cow wonders never cease! I called the Sales Audit Department and miraculously someone answered right away. She was very polite and helpful too. Turns out the problem actually began in September when I purchased but was unable to download two eBooks. I contacted customer service then and they removed the books from my account and canceled the charges on them. Somehow that put a block on my account where I could not purchase any eBooks even though I have changed credit cards since then. She is going to remove the block on the account and said within an hour I should be able to purchase and download eBooks again. I spent a total of just under 9 minutes on the phone, including about 2 min on hold while she unblocked the account from her end. After holding she even thanked me for being patient. A very different and much more pleasant experience than I was expecting. Now if they could provide this kind of customer service to everyone then we would all be happy campers. I'll post back later if the issue is truly resolved and I'm able to purchase eBooks again.

Contributor
CountryDarlin

Update: Sales Audit Department corrected the issue as promised. When I attempted to purchase an eBook 2 hours later, I didn't have a single problem. Well, other than excerising my willpower so I didn't buy too many at once lol.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

CountryDarlin wrote:

Update: Sales Audit Department corrected the issue as promised. When I attempted to purchase an eBook 2 hours later, I didn't have a single problem. Well, other than excerising my willpower so I didn't buy too many at once lol.

I'm glad you were able to finally get it resolved.

New User
Intermezzo
0 Kudos

I noticed the same under My NOOK. I have an error message like you had..Credit Card expired Jan 1970.

I will follow your lead and contact the Sales Audit Department.

Thanks

New User
captain535
0 Kudos

How were you able to get a hold of sales Audit? Customer Service refuses to transfer me. Instead I've been going round and round with tech support who keeps telling me it's not BN's problem it's my cc, even though I can order books with the same cc from Amazon and Googlebooks. I've even tried using different cc's still won't let me read the books. I'm about done with BN!!! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Contributor
CountryDarlin
0 Kudos

I had originally emailed customer service about the problem and somewhere in their response was the number for sales audit department. Unfortunately I can't find the number or the email to pass along to you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 206 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: