Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
janetg501
0 Kudos

Notes/Export

Is there the ablitity to:

Annotate, export notes and export quotes to make a quote when writing a paper. If so, is there a limit on the size of the export.  Also, do quotes come with footnotes when exported?

Frequent Contributor
KevinCK
0 Kudos

Re: Notes/Export

Janetg501,

I relate to your question. I'm a PhD student who has been using my kindle and sony as a reseasrch tool. I will tell you that you can export quotes from the sony (as you can plug it into the computer and see your books on the PC. Then, you can cut and paste your quotes to a seperate document.

But let me also warn that one big problem with citing ebooks in papers is that unless your ebook operates by page number (the type that is fixed), you really can't do it. That's why I got a sony after getting a kindle because location numbers don't mean anything to someone who doesn't have an ebook reader.

I asked sony this question: whether they operate by page number. They said they do not operate by FIXED page numbers (which means that you might be on page 5 of 100 in small font but 10 of 200 in medium font!).

That is going to make citing quotes gotten from BN ebooks absolutely impossible as there is no way to tell what page the quote is actually on. (Unless you go to google books, type in part of the quote, and get the page number that way.)

New User
Lis77
0 Kudos

No, you can not export notes. That was the answer of customer service.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

That's sad. I have a reading journal in which I collect all my notes - from dead tree books and from my kindle. Why would I even want notes if I can't export them into other applications? Are you sure they can't be exported via USB connection? By now I don't trust a lot of the posts that come from B&N reps, since every customer service rep seems to be working from a different set of instructions.

Lis77 wrote:

No, you can not export notes. That was the answer of customer service.

New User
RevPask
0 Kudos

I am using B&N eReader ver 1.0.1 

This version has an export option on the File drop down menu.  It opens a window that allows you to select the location where you want to save your exported notes, and the ability to name the file  (the default name has the ISBN number of your electronic book)  It is a plain text file, which most programs like Word or Open Office can "read". 

I use my e-books on both a net book and my desktop.   I'd love to be able to "synchronize" my notes or at least copy them from one machine to another so that they show up in the book when you are reading it.  I realize that dynamic page numbers presents an issue here.  Screen size which affects the page numbers is different on each of my computers......sigh.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 231 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: