Contributor
ukiacat
0 Kudos

Number of Pages?

Today I bought and downloaded a book. The information about the book said it was 418pp. When it downloaded, I opened it and found that it is 308 pages. Why is there a discrepancy?

Thanks

JM

Contributor
CuriousJo
0 Kudos

Re: Number of Pages?

Page numbers are sort of arbitrary figures even in hard copy books. The same book will have a different number of pages in paperback and hardcover formats, for example. Nook pages don't correspond to the number of pages in any given hard copy of a book so my guess is the book information had the page numbers based off of the hardcover or paperback. I'm sure the actual amount of content is the same.

Contributor
ukiacat
0 Kudos

Thanks. I knew the book was the same no matter what the number of pages. It's just frustrating because I like long books and lately it seems like everything I download is 190-250 pages. At least the book I downloaded yesterday is longer than that.

It seems like I'm going to have to start figuring out a correlation of KB file size to number of pages if I want to know that I'm getting a book that will last more than one or two evenings.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

ukiacat wrote:

Thanks. I knew the book was the same no matter what the number of pages. It's just frustrating because I like long books and lately it seems like everything I download is 190-250 pages. At least the book I downloaded yesterday is longer than that.

It seems like I'm going to have to start figuring out a correlation of KB file size to number of pages if I want to know that I'm getting a book that will last more than one or two evenings.

Using the file size can generally give you some kind of idea if the book is short/long, but if it has pictures/diagrams/illustrations it could be a large file size but only due to those graphics.  If you really need to know how many pages a book has look up a hardcover version first and then you will know.  The actual page numbers might not display the same, but at least you would know how many pages it would be in a paper format.  That is about as good as it gets.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Reader
JBurton
0 Kudos

Nook formats the pages based on user font size and font type-- if fonts are bigger more pages may be added-- Nook also reads every page including blanks so actual number may change.

Frequent Contributor
woodsonh
0 Kudos

your reply made me go look on my nook. font size does not change the number of pages shown on the bottem right. If you notice you might page several times before number acually changers. That way page 100 is the same no matter what text size you use. Instead you might page  5 times instead of 3 times on a given page number. Your index would not read correctly if they didn't do it this way.

woody

Contributor
krispin41
0 Kudos

^^^ Not necessarily. I have changed the font size on my nook, and the page number stays the same, although the amount of page turns I am on the same page number is longer.

Kristan in NorCal
Inspired Contributor
Paginate
0 Kudos

I have occasionally come across a book that does change the number of pages depending on the font size used.  For example, if the book is 300 pages with large font, it is 180 with small font.  I don't know why this happens on only a few books, while most books have the same number of pages no matter what the font size.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4

Paginate wrote:

I have occasionally come across a book that does change the number of pages depending on the font size used.  For example, if the book is 300 pages with large font, it is 180 with small font.  I don't know why this happens on only a few books, while most books have the same number of pages no matter what the font size.

Because there are different file types.  PDB books will change the number of pages depending on the font size, but EPUB books will keep the page numbers static.

Contributor
ukiacat
0 Kudos

I think I will take your advice and see if I can get an idea from the hardcover version of the book. It won't be a perfect solution but it would help prevent some disappointment on my part.

My thanks to everyone who answered.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:61 members 492 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: