Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
QueenMumof4
0 Kudos

Oh, boy...seeing this many posts frightens me!!! Help

I have plans to go to my local store and pick out my horribly needed NOOK tomorrow...Just one thing that worries me. I have many books that are in epub format~ from the website Project Guetenberg. I am a homeschooling parent and the NOOK is my dream come true, provided it can support the PDF files and the EPUB files that I have ready and waiting to send on over to it for immediate use.

I was hoping this would be a wonderfully simple tool for our homeschool, however seeing many of the problem/issues posted here has made me a little frightened. Can you please tell me there is a simple reason that the people who are haivng problems loading/reading their EPUB format books are having problems. Please :smileysurprised:  I really want to make this purchase, however if it doesn't support the EPUB file format it would really be a waste of time/money and energy on my part.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'd rather know now than wait until after I purchase.

"Preach Christ at all times, when necessary, use words." St. Francis Assisi
Wordsmith
gandalf1369

Re: Oh, boy...seeing this many posts frightens me!!! Help

The nook definitely supports the EPUB format.  It also supports PDF but depending on the formatting of the PDF file not as well.  I would just convert he PDF files to EPUB using calibre.

As far as reading about problems here in the forums, remember that the forums are places that people go to to seek help.  What this means is that the majority of people who own nooks probably never post here because they don't encounter any problems.  The nook is like any other electronic device - glitches, hang-ups, etc. can happen.  The good thing is that they happen fairly infrequently to most people.

Go ahead and buy the nook if that is the ereader that you want.  Use it, read books on it, download from B&N, sideload books from other sources.  Try EPUB and PDF files.  If you aren't satisfied or encounter a problem, post a message here, visit your local B&N for help, or call Customer Support.  As a last resort return it, although I'm pretty sure you will be happy with your purchase.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
tana928
0 Kudos

Almost all of the books I've read on  my Nook (160 this year) have been sideloaded to the Nook and are in EPub form.  I convert them using Calibre and I've never had a problem reading them.  I love my Nook!!!!

I am definately one of the satisfied customers out there.  Like the other poster said, just try to remember that there will be a lot more people who complain than there will be who compliment.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You shouldn't come to a problem and support site and be surprised when you find problems and support.

Find the most reliable product in you house, go to the support site for that product, and guess what you will find?  

People without problems seldom show up here.  Most nook users don't know this site exists. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

What the others said. Your Gutenberg EPUBs will work just fine on NOOK.

PDF can be a bit annoying because PDF is a page-layout format, not an e-book format. If you scrunch the page down to fit the screen (by selecting Small font size), it's probably going to be impossible to read. But to make it larger, you have to break the layout and that isn't always a pretty sight. See item #21 in this posting: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Didn-t-read-the-manual-A-list-of-thin...

My wife and I have both had NOOKs for over 7 months now. We haven't had a single problem with either of them. The bulk of my library is EPUBs from Smashwords, which I sideload with no problems.

New User
QueenMumof4
0 Kudos

OK, thanks all....What had worried me was when I was origionally looking I just searched the word epub and nothing but problems came up. Glad to hear you have not had problems. Now, how do you convert a PDF to an EPUB? Is there a simple way to do this? I am not super computer savvy, but can figure most things out with a little help. Thanks again for the encouragement.

"Preach Christ at all times, when necessary, use words." St. Francis Assisi
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You can simpy sideload your epub files.  nook.com has a video on sideloading under FAQ and Support.

Calibre's a free download you can use to convert non DRM files.  Google it.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

QueenMumof4 wrote:

OK, thanks all....What had worried me was when I was origionally looking I just searched the word epub and nothing but problems came up. Glad to hear you have not had problems. Now, how do you convert a PDF to an EPUB? Is there a simple way to do this? I am not super computer savvy, but can figure most things out with a little help. Thanks again for the encouragement.

I use the free program called "calibre".  Not sure if we can post direct links to the web sites on this forum but if you Google "calibre" you should get the link.

Simply download the program (it's free) and install it on your PC.  Add your PDF's to the calibre library and then convert them either singly or as a batch to EPUB.  Then you can either use calibre to transfer them to your nook or just use Windows Explorer to "drag and drop" the EPUB files into the "My Documents" directory on the nook.

Explaining it is actually more involved than doing it!! :smileyhappy:

Good luck.  Any problems or questions just post again.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

PDFs

QueenMumof4 wrote:

how do you convert a PDF to an EPUB?

It's probably not worth the trouble. The problem with PDFs is that fundamental information like where paragraphs start and end, and where pages start and end, has been removed from the file. A PDF is formatted as a series of lines of text. The converter has to try to guess where new paragraphs start, and whether a page break was intended or just happened because the current page ran out of space. It's also hard to tell page header and footer text from "real" text. It's all very messy. Multi-column PDFs are really messy.

Your best bet is to just sideload the PDF and live with the limitations that PDF imposes. If you have a PDF that's really important to you and worth the effort, you can use various tools to convert to EPUB, then use an EPUB editor like Sigil to work your way through the e-book and clean it up. It's a lot of work, though.

Note: it's not just NOOK that has trouble with PDF. All e-readers do. PDF isn't an e-book format, it's a page-layout format. When a PDF is created, the person creating it says how big the pages are going to be printed/viewed at, and most PDFs are created for letter/A4 size paper. Trying to view one on a 6" screen is going to be a challenge.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@QueenMumof4,

I also wanted to add if you have an issue you would rather not post directly on the forums you can always send me a Private Message for assistance. 
The board members here are great and always willing to help. 
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Here's another perspective (mine :smileywink:) on seeing all these "frightening" posts. 

Before I bought my NOOK, I, too, came to these boards.  I knew I would find problems here. So, sure,  I came to see what problems people were talking about, but MORE IMPORTANTLY,  I wanted to see how the problems were dealt with on these boards.

I found B&N boards to be a really friendly place, lots of knowledgeable, patient people and there was lots of humor.  These boards, with all their problems dealt with in such a manner, were my final deciding factor before I bought NOOK.

I LOVE my NOOK :smileyhappy:!

Frequent Contributor
KaufmanGirl
0 Kudos

I hope that you were able to make your decision on your Nook purchase. I have had mine since December of last year and love it. Have had only a few challenges with my Nook but they were simple fixes.

I have about 100 B&N books and 1,600 + sideloaded books.

:smileyvery-happy:

Happy reading

PS.

Buy the warranty.... just in case. I am a clutz and am afraid of dropping it and breaking.

Contributor
battyjac
0 Kudos

I'm a homeschooling mom too. I got my Nook as a birthday present on Friday. I had been lurking on these boards a couple weeks first, while deciding between the various ereaders. I obviously chose the Nook. Open format trumps all.  I haven't had any problems with mine. I had a folder of homeschooling ebooks in both pdf and epub formats and moved them over on Saturday. I haven't done a lot with them but they have been fine. Most of my homeschool pdfs were pretty simple documents and they read just fine.  My husband had some IT-related pdfs that are too difficult to read on it.

As a homeschooler I'm loving the gutenberg ebooks.  Since most of the books I use are classics, it will be much cheaper in the long run.  It's also so much easier to nurse my youngest while doing read-alouds with my older kids.  I can use the Nook completely one-handed, paper books aren't exactly difficult but after a few days with the Nook i don't want to go back. I got the latest Riordan book in paper form the same day I got my Nook. I haven't even cracked it yet.  But since I'm not getting the kids Nooks I'll still be buying kid books  in paper. And kid books are one of my favorite genres.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 235 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: