Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MamaGriff
0 Kudos

Old Files Reappear After Upgrade to 1.3

After I upgraded my Nook, a bunch of old, previously-deleted documents re-appeared in my "my documents" list on the nook. I can access them and read them, just as before. However, I don't want these files on my nook - and I can't find them when I connect my nook to my PC with the USB cable. They don't show up in any of the folders on my F:/ (the drive assigned to the Nook). I even ran a search of my entire computer (all drives) for these files, which turned up nothing. I'm rather confused. Can someone tell me how to get these files off my nook?

Thanks.

MG

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Old Files Reappear After Upgrade to 1.3

[ Edited ]

You don;t say whether you are on a Mac or Windows computer.

In either case what you are experiencing is the fact that when you deleted the files they were placed in a trash can folder on the nook.

To your computer this is a hidden folder and won;t normally be visible to you. However to the nook it is just another folder and it is finding those books/documents in there.

There should be some way of setting your file browser (windows explorer or finder) to show hidden folders. Then you will be able to delete the wastebasket or trashcan as the case may be.

In the future when deleting from the nook and your computer asks if you want to move the item to the trash, say no.

Update:

After rereading your post I see the nook is drive F: so I assume you are on a windows computer.

1. In the file browser select folder options from the tools menu.
  2. Select the View tab.
  3. Under Hidden files and folders select Show hidden files and folders.
  4. Click on OK

You are looking for a folder that is probably named RECYCLER to delete.

It should be locarted in the root of teh nook drive (F:\)

New User
MamaGriff
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice, Larry. I know I deleted a similar folder before, but that didn't seem to do any good. Now I cannot locate any such folder anywhere on my nook. I have also performed a search (including searching for hidden files and folders) for some of the deleted files that are still showing up on my nook - to no avail. My computer fails to locate them. As you note, I am a Windows XP user. Any suggestions?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

OK, I have to admit that you are stumping me now.

The nook reads the contents of the "my documents" folder on the internal SD card to build the list.

When you add new items to your nook you select "check for new content" in the "my documents" section of your library to tell it to rebuild the list.

I suggest connecting the nook once again to your computer and:

1. Perform a search (start menu->search) for all files and folders on your nook drive (drive F:smileyhappy:
  2. Delete the documents you no longer want that are still showing up.
  3. Disconnect your nook from the computer by selecting Eject for the nook drive from the my computer window.
  4. Navigate to my library -> my documents on the nook and select check for new content.

If that doesn't work I will concede defeat and suggest your call B&N tech support.

Just to confirm: you do NOT have an additional microSD card installed in your nook that the documents might be on?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS

LarryOnLI wrote:

OK, I have to admit that you are stumping me now.

The nook reads the contents of the "my documents" folder on the internal SD card to build the list.

When you add new items to your nook you select "check for new content" in the "my documents" section of your library to tell it to rebuild the list.

I suggest connecting the nook once again to your computer and:

1. Perform a search (start menu->search) for all files and folders on your nook drive (drive F:smileyhappy:
  2. Delete the documents you no longer want that are still showing up.
  3. Disconnect your nook from the computer by selecting Eject for the nook drive from the my computer window.
  4. Navigate to my library -> my documents on the nook and select check for new content.

If that doesn't work I will concede defeat and suggest your call B&N tech support.

Just to confirm: you do NOT have an additional microSD card installed in your nook that the documents might be on?

Actually the nook now reads other direcories including the "root" in finding books.    So if there is a hidden directory but there say by windows for deleted files, they may be being found.  So it might be necessary to make sure to set windows explorer to show system and hidden files to see if the books are out there.

New User
MamaGriff
0 Kudos

Fixed the problem!

So this time, instead of just ticking "Show hidden files and folders," I also UNticked "Hide protected operating system files". Finally, a "Recycled" bin showed up on the F:/, but it merely contained all the items in the Recycle bin on my laptop, and none of the supposed files I was trying to get rid of. I emptied it, ejected the nook, checked for new content - it still listed the old files.

Finally I deleted the Recycled folder altogether. This took care of the problem. The files are gone!!! What I still find interesting is that none of the files EVER showed up ANYWHERE on the F:/ - not even in the Recycled folder itself. They were apparently there, but Windows Explorer did not show them (even with "show hidden files and folders" checked). Highly strange. At least those files are finally gone. Thanks to everyone for their help!

MG

New User
jjelacic
0 Kudos

Good to know. I was having the same problem. My solution was to restore the NOOK to the original factory settings, which also worked. But your solution seems to be less of a hassle.

New User
Sherlock_G6
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for figuring this out!  It was driving me up a wall. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 753 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: