Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

On my third nook. Battery question

OK.  I'm going to try not to rant here.  First a little background.  I got my first Nook before Christmas.  After about a month it developed a crack in the area of the page turn button.  I called BN and they cheerfully replaced my Nook via overnight UPS.  

My second Nook arrived four days later.  It worked fine EXCEPT that in bright light or sunlight the page looked like a photocopy made in a machine that was running out of toner.  You could put it half in the shade and half in the sun and the sunny half would have deformed words but the shady half would be just fine.  So.....I called customer support.  They cheerfully replaced my Nook.

Nook #3 has a "charging issue" (their words).  If my Nook has a 35% charge, for example, and I plug it in to charge (at the wall, not the computer) the charging light may or may not go on.  If I fiddle with it, turning it of and on, plugging and unplugging it, the charging light will eventually come on, and the Nook may charge normally and fully; however, it may charge for a while--several minutes or as much as an hour--then stop charging.   The charge light is out, but there may be a 30% charge--less than when I plugged it in.  I thought it could be a software issue so I waited for the 1.3 update.  It made no difference.  So.....I called customer support.
 The tech told me I should "monitor" my Nook.  I told him he problem is intermittent and has happened several times, and that I wasn't sure what good that would do.  The tech wasn't sure either.  I asked for his supervisor.  The supervisor, Danny I think, told me it could be the USB cable.  I told him it is the same USB cable that worked just fine on the first two Nooks.  He said it could be the battery.  Are battery problems ever intermittent?  
When I told him I plugged my Nook in last night and it was not charged this morning, he told me that you should never leave the Nook plugged in over night.  He said it is only meant to charge 3-4 hours and charging it longer will ruin the battery!  Really?  He said, "yes, really."  What the heck kind of battery does this thing have?  Has anyone else ever heard of this?
The result of this is they will be sending me a new battery and charger.  It will arrive in 1-2 weeks.  I am within walking distance of a Barnes and Noble store where I could easily exchange the battery or the cable, or the Nook.  But that would be too easy.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: On my third nook. Battery question

While it may not be your USB cord (since you've used it with two other nooks with no problems), it may be the USB port on your nook.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

2010bc wrote:

When I told him I plugged my Nook in last night and it was not charged this morning, he told me that you should never leave the Nook plugged in over night.  He said it is only meant to charge 3-4 hours and charging it longer will ruin the battery!  Really?  He said, "yes, really."  What the heck kind of battery does this thing have?  Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Actually, yes. In fact, when I purchased my phone about a month ago, the lady at the Verizon store gave me that exact same advice -- Do not charge the phone overnight because overcharging can ruin the battery.

Apparently, with recharagable batteries, overcharging them can seriously deplete the overall life of the battery.

Here are some links/quotes (note: they apply to charging batteries in general, not specifically to the nook - but this shows that not overcharging batteries is pretty common)

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/safety/ae1022w.htm Do not overcharge the battery, or it will be damaged.

http://www.1800mobiles.com/cell-phone-battery-safety.html - • Do not overcharge the battery. This might swell the battery and cause rupture.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5106716_charge-sealed-atv-battery.html - It is important that you do not overcharge the battery.

Basically, the general concensus in regards to rechargable batteries of any type is that you do not want to overcharge them. :smileyhappy:

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

Swell the battery?  You're kidding, right?

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, Rasyr.  Apparently overcharging is a problem on iphones too.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Rasyr wrote:

2010bc wrote:

Actually, yes. In fact, when I purchased my phone about a month ago, the lady at the Verizon store gave me that exact same advice -- Do not charge the phone overnight because overcharging can ruin the battery.

Apparently, with recharagable batteries, overcharging them can seriously deplete the overall life of the battery.

Here are some links/quotes (note: they apply to charging batteries in general, not specifically to the nook - but this shows that not overcharging batteries is pretty common)

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/safety/ae1022w.htm Do not overcharge the battery, or it will be damaged.

http://www.1800mobiles.com/cell-phone-battery-safety.html - • Do not overcharge the battery. This might swell the battery and cause rupture.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5106716_charge-sealed-atv-battery.html - It is important that you do not overcharge the battery.

Basically, the general concensus in regards to rechargable batteries of any type is that you do not want to overcharge them. :smileyhappy:

You have to define overcharging first.   Overcharging is the excessive charging of a battery, at too high a charge current and/or voltage for too long a period of time.    A typical rechargeable battery/charger combination will NOT overcharge the battery.  It will taper off the voltage and current to 'float' the battery rather than continue to charge it. 

Specifically, when the Nook thinks it is charged, the charge circuitry will shut OFF....that's why the yellow LED goes out even if the unit is left plugged in all night long.

The same is true of cell phones using proper chargers.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Wow, I had no idea. I leave my nook charging overnight all the time.  In fact, I leave my cell plugged in overnight too and every cell we've ever had has been left to charge overnight.

Linda

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

2010bc wrote:
Are battery problems ever intermittent?  

I would have to say that yes, battery problems can be intermittent.  A week or so ago, my fully charged (umm, left it plugged in all night) Nook was unplugged in the morning, but not used.  10 hours later, I finally woke it up and the charge was down to 55% (wifi off and airplane mode on).  In the ten minutes I had it on while talking to customer service, it droped another few % points.  They offered to replace my battery (and also offered to let me go to the store to get a new battery which would be refunded).

But...after taking the battery out, plugging it in to the wall and then putting the battery back in and charging it fully, I've had absolutely the best battery experience ever.  Up until that "bad day" I would only get two days' worth of use of the Nook (maybe 2 hours a day).  Ever since then, I get at least a week.  So, for me it was an intermittent battery problem.

Regarding the "overcharging" issue - I've heard a couple of schools of thought regarding this.  One thing I've heard is that charging the battery heats the battery.  Batteries die with heat, so the best thing is to charge to full and then unplug because otherwise, the battery continues to be heated which wreaks havoc with the life of the battery.  Don't know if this is true, but it's something I heard on the Samsung website when I got my last phone.

In any event, I feel so bad for you having three Nooks with three problems.  But in each instance, it sounds like customer service did the right thing.  Even telling you to monitor the situation is reasonable - keep track of how often something happens, then call back and they'd deal with it. 

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

Thanks DiAnne,

You're right.  Customer service has been good about doing the right thing, and they are trying to resolve my battery problem too.  The only reason I wasn't thrilled when they told me to monitor my Nook is that I have been having the problem off and on since I got Nook #3, and I didn't think watching it do the same thing one more time was going to be much help.

You would think if the Nook is smart enough to know when it is fully charged (It turns off the charge light) it would be smart enough to switch off the charger.  I don't think that's the case though since apparently the iphone and other devices seem to have the same problem.

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

Um, Rasyr-- I think I owe you an appology re my "battery might swell" remark.  My husband just showed me a picture of a lithium ion battery in an article in one of his model airplane magazines.  The battery had been overcharged and was puffed up like it was on steroids :smileysurprised:

Contributor
bobbelieu
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I'm buying this.  I routinely "over-charge" my cell phone overnight and I've never had a problem with its battery in the five years I've owned it.  I've also never had any problems with my Nook if I charge it overnight...which I have done numerous times.

In fact, I regularly leave some of my electronica charging longer than neccessary since I often forget about them.  Plus, what about those emergency flashlights that are intentionally left in charging mode?  Why are their batteries swelling and doing all sorts of nasty things?

B~

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

See my other post: What I have learned about Nook batteries.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/What-I-ve-learned-about-Nook-batterie...  

I've always left my stuff plugged in too; however, now I'm not so sure.  I know NiCads and Li-ion, and Li-Po (the ones we have in our Nooks) behave differently.

New User
cdsmith
0 Kudos

Overcharging a battery is impossible if the device’s electronics are working properly. The very fact that the device has a charging light that goes out at full charge indicates that the unit cuts off or drastically reduces voltage being sent to the battery when the charge is complete. Anyone telling you anything different is giving you a load of BS. Cut off circuits have been standard for several years now.

Now if the circuitry is faulty then a battery can easily be over charged. If they EVER try and not replace because you ‘overcharged’ your battery take them to task about faulty cut-off circuitry.

My problem could not have been caused by their so called overcharging because it has never been plugged in for much longer than it takes the light to go off.

Now, on to what I was going to post originally. I am also on my third nook (arriving soon). Like you my first nook cracked at the page turn button. The one that is going back ASAP will no longer turn on. Yes, we tried ALL the tricks and the unit is dead.

I am getting VERY disappointed in the nook as a viable product. So far since I got the first one I have been able to read a total of one book and partials of a few more. If the third one does not perform up to satisfaction I will invoke my State’s lemon law and get a full refund. After 3 problems it becomes MY choice as to remedy.

While I think that the idea and design of the nook is great I do not think that their product lives up to standards. I will hope that the third time is a charm as they say.

Contributor
bobbelieu
0 Kudos

Ah, cdsmith, I hope third time's a charm for you too.  The Nook (when it cooperates) is really a neat little item.  I hope that it's just that you were very (and strangely) unlucky with yours.

B~

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

cdsmith wrote:
. If the third one does not perform up to satisfaction I will invoke my State’s lemon law and get a full refund. After 3 problems it becomes MY choice as to remedy.

I definitely agree that if I had a product that had to be replaced three times, I'd be with you...I'd give up and try to get my money back.  But just as a forewarning, most lemon laws work differently than the way you describe.  After three repairs for the same problem (battery won't charge OR the screen won't come on OR the buttons crack and become unusable), then the lemon law becomes an option on the fourth instance, and then, usually you can only get a new one.  In this case, it was three different issues which means that it probably won't count.  On top of that, they have replaced it each time, not repaired it.

All of that being said, I think if you deal with B&N customer service and become vocal enough, they will probably refund your money rather than have a justifiably unhappy customer.  I hope that's the case.  I'm with you, with that many problems, it's just not fair to the consumer.  I've been one of the lucky ones.  I hope your next Nook turns out like mine.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. 

Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

So, Michael, you are telling me exactly the opposite of what your own service department told me?  I wish you guys would work this out and then tell me which one is right.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I've always heard what Michael said regarding charging batteries.  That's what I've done with my other electronic devices as well and have never had a problem.  I periodically let my iPhone as well as my Nano die completely before recharging for the same reason. 

AND, I always charge my iPhone overnight.  I use it too much while I'm awake to charge it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

I emailed customer service with these questions re Nook battery charging.  Here is the reply from Barnes and Noble Customer Service:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding battery care.

Answers;

Question (1) can you overcharge the Nook battery and will charging the 
battery too long (overnight) damage it? 
Answer: Yes

Question (2) can you discharge the Nook battery too deeply and will deep
cycling damage it
Answer: No

Question (3) is it necessary or not advisable to cycle the batteries 
every 30 charges or so?
Answer: No

Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper 
right-hand corner to view information about your order.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Ray
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

From my experience I completely disagree with #'s 1 & 3.  #2 sounds reasonable enough.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 648 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: