Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: On my third nook. Battery question

@2010bc,

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery

Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader 2
zip1234
0 Kudos

I have had the same battery issue since I got my nook at Christmas. After about 2 hours of reading I'm down to 87%. I don't get 10 hours of reading let alone 10 days. I do know that with Airplane mode on I can plug the nook in and the charge light will come on but the charging symbol on the battery doesn't show and the battery doesn't charge. I'm always careful to check once its charging that that symbol shows otherwise the battery drains instead of charging. \ I've just been charging my nook everyday but I'm going away on vacation so I'd really like this cleared up. I've never taken the battery out. Has this helped other people?

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

OK, so now I'm waiting for my FOURTH Nook to arrive.  The replacement battery arrived a couple of days ago.  With the new battery the problem has not been resolved.  When I plug in my Nook, the charging light goes on and it appears to be charging.  After 10 or 15 minutes the battery light goes off and the battery no longer charges--it discharges instead.

This time I took my Nook back to the B&N store where I got it.  Penelope again came to the rescue and called customer service for me.  Because I have the extended warranty, I could not exchange the Nook in the store; rather, I have--for the third time--exchanged it by mail.  

I got my original Nook in December.  The first had a cracked bezel.  The second one had a defective screen.  The third one had a charging problem.  The fourth is in the mail--three defective Nooks in five months. I'm beginning to think maybe B&N has a little quality control problem.  

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me troubleshoot through my battery problem.

New User
CaptionGirl
0 Kudos

Looks like I'm going to be on my third one, too.  First one had a crack AND the screen problem where the words disappeared in the sun.  Now second one has a crack on the left instead of the right.  Hoping for the charm on the third because I LOVE my Nook.

Reader
cunjx
0 Kudos

Hi, I have had the nook for about 3 weeks now,

and I've had the freeze problem (solved by removing battery, keeping the nook pluged in wall socket for 4 hours, then richarged nook with battery until it hit 100%...pain in the neck!) and I have had the battery problem; by experimenting, I found the following: nook battery lasts about 1700 pages in medium size front IF I keep it in airplane mode; it goes down to slightely less than 1000 with the Wi-Fi off, and then to a stunning less then 600 with the Wi-Fi on. For comparison, the Kindle (my daughter has one, so I did the same experiment) lasts through 3000 pages, no sweat (and no freezing). Now the question is, do I have a defective battery or this is the truth of thethings? Will call customer service to find out...

Frequent Contributor
2010bc
0 Kudos

To CaptionGirl--  

For what its worth, my fourth nook is working just fine--no more cracks, no disappearing letters, no battery problems.  You've gotta give B&N credit though.  They kept on replacing them until they got it right.  Good luck with number three.

--2010bc

New User
gaileigh
0 Kudos

I have a brand new Nook and also have a battery "conern". A fully charged battery lasts only 12 - 15 hours, reading only, wi-fi is not on, this is not what I was told to expect. I was also told it would last approx. 10 days. Can I do anything to improve this?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@gaileigh,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

New User
ambabs
0 Kudos

I just got my nook yesterday and charged it all night with the power on.  Ths morning the yellow light was still on so I plugged it back in and left it on charging for the rest of the day.  I did not turn it off.  After the whole night and day of charging, the yellow light is still on and the battery is reading 87% charged.  Is this a defective unit?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ambabs: No, just use it until it runs down to maybe 15-25%, then charge it back up, and it'll be fine. The battery percent readout is approximate and it takes a few charge/discharge cycles for it to get a feel for how the particular battery behaves.

New User
fogbert
0 Kudos

As some here, I am also on my 3rd nook (in about 6 months). I also cannot get more than about 8 or 10 hours of reading on one charge. Haven't with any of the three. When I talk to my Kindle friends, they are aghast! They go weeks without a charge at a heaving reading level. When I exhaust the books in my library, I will be a new Kindle owner.

New User
ambabs
0 Kudos

Doug,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I will let it run down as you suggested and see what happens.  Also, thank you for the 'didn't read manual.'  I think it will be very helpful.

Babs

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

fogbert wrote:

As some here, I am also on my 3rd nook (in about 6 months). I also cannot get more than about 8 or 10 hours of reading on one charge. Haven't with any of the three. When I talk to my Kindle friends, they are aghast! They go weeks without a charge at a heaving reading level. When I exhaust the books in my library, I will be a new Kindle owner.

Enjoy your Kindle...bye

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 684 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: