Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
donna128
0 Kudos

Organizing Books on My Nook

I would like to know if there is a way to organize the ebooks I downloaded to my Nook.  Right now that are in order by the date I downloaded them.  Is there any way to organize them by author?  Or perhaps by read and unread?

Thanks!

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: Organizing Books on My Nook

At the moment, there is no way to organize that does not void your warranty.

Everybody is hoping that the next software update will include methods of organization.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

On the color touch screen there is an option to sort by different items - date, title, etc.  I'm not sure all of the options but I'm sure author is one of them.

- Zach
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Please note that I was referring to organizing them in the manner of putting them in folders or subfolders.

Sorry if I caused any confusion

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

For the books in the "My Documents" folders, you can do this easily by hand, or use the program called Calibre (google for it) which organizes your books in to folders by authors, etc.

However, this does you little good, because the books in my documents are not presented to you in folder order on the nook, the folders only appear on your computer.

However, when you transfer books directly to your nook you CAN'T organize them into folders, they all sit in one directory.  But, the nook provides sort by Author, title and most Recent, etc.  

So where you CAN make folders, do you no good, and where you CAN'T make folders, you don't need them.

Hopefully this will change in subsequent release.

Frequent Contributor
BENUI
0 Kudos

yes,  you can sort by most recent, title or by author.  just to to my b&n library and scroll down on the color screen to sort by.

We are all Shepherds
New User
Ciinen
0 Kudos

Unfortunately there is NO folder structure in "my documents" on the nook. however if you browse the the files on windows as an external hard drive...there they are, all neat and organized the way i left them.

DEVELOPERS: this is not a frivolous feature request. this should have been a core component of this device's operating system. i mean, you call it "my documents." people are going to want it to act like "my documents."

Contributor
iandix
0 Kudos

people have been asking for this since the nook first came out, and people keep saying "maybe it will be in the next firmware update"  But rather than respond to customers request, or even just reply to their requests with "we are working on it" or "sorry, that is something we have no plans for" they just ignore us .

I have decided to softroot my nook and install the catalogue system that comes with that hack. If it's the only way I can get what should have come standard with the nook, then that is what I must do.

It is funny that a professional team of software developers can not do, what one guy on his home computer did. If I knew B&N was working on something I would be more than happy to wait, but their silence seems to tell me that they have no plans to act on this request.

New User
nbays1975
0 Kudos

I just got my nook.  Loaded up a bunch of epubs and then realized I couldn't categorize them.  This is basic functionality.  I just assumed it would be there.  With more than 20 documents it is difficult to navigate.  I'm taking it back tomorrow.  It is not usable without some sort of tagging capability.

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

"I just got my nook.  Loaded up a bunch of epubs and then realized I couldn't categorize them. This is basic functionality.  I just assumed it would be there.  With more than 20 documents it is difficult to navigate.  I'm taking it back tomorrow.  It is not usable without some sort of tagging capability."

I usually pass up posts like this one but this is simply ludicrious. Good grief, is it THAT DIFFICULT to sort books by "most recent", "title" or "author" to access your ebook? It's not like people continually jump from one book to another. Most simply get a book loaded up and read it for hours, days or whatever. 20 books? I have hundreds of titles currently on my Nook, in both the B&N and My Documents folders and I sure don't see the problem here. Sort by author or title, a few button presses and I'm there.No biggie and I don't even get a cramp in my thumb ...

In the B&N content, one can also archive the books you're finished with and "hide" them. This reduces the number of items that are indexed and displayed.

So, toss the baby out with the bathwater if you must ...

Cheers.

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

[ Edited ]

TheRoadRunner wrote:

I usually pass up posts like this one but this is simply ludicrious. Good grief, is it THAT DIFFICULT to sort books by "most recent", "title" or "author" to access your ebook? It's not like people continually jump from one book to another. Most simply get a book loaded up and read it for hours, days or whatever. 20 books? I have hundreds of titles currently on my Nook, in both the B&N and My Documents folders and I sure don't see the problem here. Sort by author or title, a few button presses and I'm there.No biggie and I don't even get a cramp in my thumb ...

In the B&N content, one can also archive the books you're finished with and "hide" them. This reduces the number of items that are indexed and displayed.

Cheers.

What may not be a problem for YOU could be a problem for others (and is as reflected by the countless complaints/requests dealing with organizing and searching our libraries.  

I currently have 464 books in "My Documents" on my Nook.  If I happen to want to read a book by an author whose name starts with a "Z" I could be clicking that page button 47 times.  And after having already replaced two Nooks for cracked page turn buttons, I find this already tedious flaw even more annoying since I try to avoid using those buttons whenever possible.

Granted, 20 books isn't that bad to sort through, but that user already realizes that it WILL become and issue once they've added a few more.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

Ozman69 wrote:

TheRoadRunner wrote:

Cheers.

What may not be a problem for YOU could be a problem for others (and is as reflected by the countless complaints/requests dealing with organizing and searching our libraries.  

I currently have 464 books in "My Documents" on my Nook.  If I happen to want to read a book by an author whose name starts with a "Z" I could be clicking that page button 47 times.  And after having already replaced two Nooks for cracked page turn buttons, I find this already tedious flaw even more annoying since I try to avoid using those buttons whenever possible.

Granted, 20 books isn't that bad to sort through, but that user already realizes that it WILL become and issue once they've added a few more.

That's a lot of "Z"s ... LOL

As a former software designer, I see the issue from a different point of view. IMO, B&N did the right thing when they created such a rudimentary indexing system. Why? Because you can't please all the people all the time. Any file manager system they implement will not work for everyone, there will always be those who don't like this, don't like tjhat, etc. So, you now spend development time trying to reach a middle ground and satisfy the greatest number of users. When you start adding applications, you now get into a cycle of "adding features" and bug hunting.

The simple system they have now is robust and it's "what you get out of the box".

Cheers.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL

I'm also a software developer, and I have to disagree with you - this oversight is pretty egregious.

I can understand if this was 15 years ago, but in 2010 the folder/subfolder metaphor is ubiquitous and understood by everyone. And, since the books aren't *actually* in folders, a "view all" option would be easy enough to implement. I mean geez, all we're talking about is customizable meta tags here, this is kid's stuff.

Would anyone use iTunes if they couldn't view their music organized basically any way they want? Same applies here, even moreso. Everyone uses iTunes, even if they only have a few songs. Most people who buy an e-reader are going to have or wind up with a lot of books.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

TheRoadRunner wrote:

That's a lot of "Z"s ... LOL

As a former software designer, I see the issue from a different point of view. IMO, B&N did the right thing when they created such a rudimentary indexing system. Why? Because you can't please all the people all the time. Any file manager system they implement will not work for everyone, there will always be those who don't like this, don't like tjhat, etc. So, you now spend development time trying to reach a middle ground and satisfy the greatest number of users. When you start adding applications, you now get into a cycle of "adding features" and bug hunting.

The simple system they have now is robust and it's "what you get out of the box".

Cheers.

Not a lot of "Z"'s, more a case of a lot of A's, B's, C's, etc leading up to those Z's.  Even if B&N didn't want to bother with a simple filing system (or search even), the very least they could have done would have been allow you to use the keyboard to quickly go to the letter of choice (be it either by author or title).  That wouldn't have been difficult at all.  Or hell, if you want to get down to it, they simply could have allowed us to use the same crappy search features they have on the B&N library and been done with it.  It still wouldn't have been the best option, but at least it would have been something. 

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

MattFL wrote:

Would anyone use iTunes if they couldn't view their music organized basically any way they want? Same applies here, even moreso. Everyone uses iTunes, even if they only have a few songs. Most people who buy an e-reader are going to have or wind up with a lot of books.

I can't really answer that question. People's needs and requirements are as varied as the people themselves.

That being said: Do you remember the first ITunes apps? They were pretty basic, and they were fairly buggy too. They didn't incorporate every bell and whistle right off the bat. They needed to evolve to the needs of the market and the users. It will take time to add new features to the Nook as the platform matures so I stand by my previous opinion. Eventually, the Nook and it's software will have to evolve to keep it's market active and users happy.

BTW, saying "everyone uses ITunes" is not really correct. I don't use iTunes at all and I consider myself part of the "everyone" group. :smileywink:

Personally, I'd love to see B&N open up development of applications to programmers similar to what is happening for the IPhone and IPAD. Let users decide what they want to load up and let them take responsibility for their devices. It's a shame one needs to go to nookdevs and root their Nook (and even that's been temporarly thwarted by new firmware) to get the nookLibrarian or the nookManager applications.

Cheers.

Reader
TammiCole
0 Kudos

Here we are 3 years later and I still do not have the ability to organize my library on my iPad! This is such a simple feature that would make me VERY happy! I buy 95% of my ebooks from BN, but I have no way to organize them into sub-libraries! Why is that? PLEASE add this feature!!

New User
Mistery_Reader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nobody ever accused B&N management of being computer savvy.....

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 377 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: