Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
sonadom
0 Kudos

Overdrive & Nook

I finally had success with reading a book from Overdrive (via the library) on my Nook.  Nook is on 1.1.0

Posting these steps to help anyone who was as frustrated as I was with the 'instructions' out there and also to see if it works repeatedly or was just a fluke for me!

1) make sure that Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is downloaded to your computer that syncs with the nook.  Make sure nook is authorized under the same ADE id (email address) as the computer. 

2) find ebook at library and check it out.

3) download it (should auto open with Adobe Digital Editions)

4) It should play fine on the pc with ADE open.

5) connect the Nook.

6) ADE recognizes the Nook as a device and you can click on the Nook in the library bookshelf and see what is on there.

7) go back to 'borrowed' in ADE and drag the downloaded book to the word Nook on the left screen.  You can see the book in the Nook. 

8)  NOTE - this simply seems to store the book in the Nook's Digital Editions folder.  This is only step 1.  If you disconnect the nook and try to read it, you will not see it in your library listings on the Nook.

9) While connected to the pc, you must go to my computer, find the nook, go to its DE folder.  LEAVE THE pdf or epub file IN THAT FOLDER.  BUT you must copy it and paste it to the Nook's My Documents folder. 

If you copy to My Documents but don't also leave it in the DE folder, you can see the book on the Nook but you get an authorized read error and you can't access.

10) With Overdrive book in 2 places on the Nook (DE and My Documents folders), close ADE software and disconnect your Nook from PC.

11) On Nook, click My Library.  Then click View My Documents.  It will refresh and the Overdrive title appears.  Now you can read the book.

This worked with Overdrive epub and the Overdrive non-epub (PDF) books.

So basically it is a 2 step process once you have it checked out / downloaded from the Library.  You have to validate the digital rights (dragging it via ADE software to the Nook) - this puts a copy in the DE folder on the Nook.  Then you have to make a copy of the book and paste it into the Nook's My Documents. 

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

Re: Overdrive & Nook

Thanks for the tips! I have a huge wish list from my Overdrive library (and they just added Elizabeth Kostova's Swan Thieves for "preorder"). This is one of the major reasons I chose the nook.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Seems like something is wrong....

You might search around the forum for other Overdrive users and compare notes.

Maybe the book entry is copied (like with Windows "copy"), but there is a delay in the copy function

and if you exit or disconnect immediately, the book never gets "pasted" across...

Contributor
sonadom
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

Seems like something is wrong....

You might search around the forum for other Overdrive users and compare notes.

Maybe the book entry is copied (like with Windows "copy"), but there is a delay in the copy function

and if you exit or disconnect immediately, the book never gets "pasted" across...

On one of the threads, someone posted that that v 1.1.0 has this glitch and that 1.1.1 fixed it (only those of us with 1.1.0 can't get the 1.1.1 fix - we have to wait for the next one).  Some have dragged the DE folder into the My Documents folder.  I didn't try that, mainly because somewhere else I read this might cause other problems.  My fix just puts a copy in both folders and didn't seem to alter anything else (esp. the B&N books I'd bought).

Contributor
Mildew
0 Kudos

I've had my nook since mid December and have successfully borrowed and read 7 e-books from my local library using Overdrive. 

I agree with your steps 1-7.  But once the books have been dragged onto the nook using ADE I just eject the nook from the computer.  Then, go to "my library" and select "View My Documents".  If your new e-book isn't visible on the list, just select "check for new content" and it will appear.

I've never had to copy/paste any Overdrive book.

Contributor
sonadom
0 Kudos

Mildew wrote:

I've had my nook since mid December and have successfully borrowed and read 7 e-books from my local library using Overdrive. 

I agree with your steps 1-7.  But once the books have been dragged onto the nook using ADE I just eject the nook from the computer.  Then, go to "my library" and select "View My Documents".  If your new e-book isn't visible on the list, just select "check for new content" and it will appear.

I've never had to copy/paste any Overdrive book.

I'm guessing if you've had yours since December that you are on firmware version 1.1.1.  I am on 1.1.0 (mine shipped in early January with this version) and this seems to be a problem on other 1.1.0 Nooks.  

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

There are reports that 1.1.1 is now rolling out to at least some 1.1.0 Nooks.  Essentially the only thing it fixed was the recognition of the Digital editions folder..

New User
AndesMMH
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!!  I spent hours trying to figure out how to get a library book onto the nook.  My PC folder kept showing that the book was there but i wasn't seeing it on the nook.  I finally came across your step-by-step directions and it worked.  Thanks for taking the time and having the patience to write this down.

I would like to reiterate that you need to have the file in both the Digital Editions folder AND the My Documents folder - that was the key from my experience.  A huge thank you. 

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

for those posting that it either works or not as it should with ADE, 

please let us know what firmware version you have.

As it appears that 1.1.0 does NOT work -

yet the later 1.1.1 does FIX the problem...

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

I have firmware versions 1.1.0 - On 1.0.0 my nook had no problem reading library books in the Adobe Digital folder.   When I upgraded to 1.1.0 it no longer read that folder.  I move the book from the Adobe Digital folder to My Documents and I have no problem seeing and reading the book (I do not keep 2 copies on my nook).

Frequent Contributor
Snowie
0 Kudos

For me ADE recognizes my device when it's connected to my computer and all I have to do is drag and drop the books from my ADE library to my Nook and everything is taken care of for me. ADE set up a folder in my documents for those files.  I can do this from with in ADE because I needed to authenticate my eReader device and once I did that it made a simple process even simpler. I did try putting the books directly into my documents and for some reason they wouldn't open.

I'm not sure if this is my library or not but they give me a link which triggers ADE to download the content. The first time I tried to download a book I did not have ADE installed. So the link didn't work. I thought that the link was the book actually. Once I downloaded ADE I couldn't get the link to work, but that was easily fixed by clearing my cache on computer and trying again. The techs at my library helped with that one. I only wish that they had more books, or at least if they could match the audio books with an eBook too.

Over all I'm very pleased that I choose Nook, I hadn't done my homework very well and I would've been sorely disappointed Kindle because it doesn't work with overdrive from what I understand. I was going to buy a Kindle until the Nook came out with all it's shiny new bells and whistles. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
sonadom
0 Kudos

MusicmanGG wrote:

ps56k wrote:

I have firmware versions 1.1.0 - On 1.0.0 my nook had no problem reading library books in the Adobe Digital folder.   When I upgraded to 1.1.0 it no longer read that folder.  I move the book from the Adobe Digital folder to My Documents and I have no problem seeing and reading the book (I do not keep 2 copies on my nook).

MusicMan - I had tried doing just that - moving from ADE folder to My Documents.  It would show in the Nook but would not open - it wasn't recognizing that I had the digital rights to read it.  I understand one solution is to move the entire ADE folder as a subfolder of My Documents, but did read that this method could cause other issues.

Contributor
sonadom
0 Kudos

Snowie wrote:

For me ADE recognizes my device when it's connected to my computer and all I have to do is drag and drop the books from my ADE library to my Nook and everything is taken care of for me. ADE set up a folder in my documents for those files.  I can do this from with in ADE because I needed to authenticate my eReader device and once I did that it made a simple process even simpler. I did try putting the books directly into my documents and for some reason they wouldn't open.

I'm not sure if this is my library or not but they give me a link which triggers ADE to download the content. The first time I tried to download a book I did not have ADE installed. So the link didn't work. I thought that the link was the book actually. Once I downloaded ADE I couldn't get the link to work, but that was easily fixed by clearing my cache on computer and trying again. The techs at my library helped with that one. I only wish that they had more books, or at least if they could match the audio books with an eBook too.

Over all I'm very pleased that I choose Nook, I hadn't done my homework very well and I would've been sorely disappointed Kindle because it doesn't work with overdrive from what I understand. I was going to buy a Kindle until the Nook came out with all it's shiny new bells and whistles. :smileyhappy:

What firmware do you have?  I'm guessing 1.1.1, not the 'broken' 1.1.0. 
For me it was between a Nook and the Sony.  Once I heard Nook worked with Overdrive (just like Sony), I was sold.  I hear you about the 'more books' (being a library director).  You wouldn't believe the price we are charged for digital editions - esp. when only one person at a time can 'read'.  Libraries generally have limited financial resources and - at least in my case - want to make sure the use of the service justifies the significant expense.  With the new kindles, the Sony, and Nook all being Christmas bestsellers, I'm hopeful that the time has finally come for digital books & portable e-readers.  Now Apple is jumping into the fray and rumors abound about ebooks via the itunes store.
Issues with copyright or author's exclusive publishing rights impact selection as well, but we are starting to see more titles available from Overdrive. 
Contributor
sonadom
0 Kudos

The  v1.2 update resolved the issue I was having (the work around solution for 1.1.0 described in the first post in this thread).  Using the Adobe Digital Editions software, connecting the Nook to the pc running ADE, and dragging the downloaded Overdrive ebook icon to the Nook device in the ADE device list works just fine now.

So far, liking the improvements made in v 1.2.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I got the Adobe product installed on my computer.  It recognized the books I had in my documents.  Where I'm stuck is with Number 2 on your list, find a book and check it out.  I spent over an hour last night on my library's site and could not find one book that was available to check out.  All I could do was put myself on the wait list.  I think they only have one digital copy of each book.

I think I can get a library card in the next county over without living in that county, so I'm going to check that out, I think they may have a somewhat bigger collection.

Reader
Laugh13
0 Kudos

So to simplify what you said, do I have to put the DE software on the Nook as well as my MAC before the Overdrive edition will be readable on the nook?

Reader
Laugh13
0 Kudos

PS I somehow got two copies downloaded and tried to drag one to the Nook folder on the left and got a message that said "Not authorized for this device."  How do I "authorize" the nook. I'd like to take this book with me on a day trip tomorrow!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Laugh13 wrote:

So to simplify what you said, do I have to put the DE software on the Nook as well as my MAC before the Overdrive edition will be readable on the nook?

No, it's already there.  You have to have it on your computer though.

As far as authorizing on the MAC, I think I've ready where others who have experienced problems getting authorize on the MAC and they had to authorize on a PC, then it seemed to be ok on the MAC.  But don't quote me on that, try a search of the boards or maybe someone will come here who truly knows the answer.

Reader 4
Mishy48
0 Kudos

My library offers Adobe PDF and Overdrive Media files..I cant get the overdrive to work..it says it is not compatible with the nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Mishy48 wrote:

My library offers Adobe PDF and Overdrive Media files..I cant get the overdrive to work..it says it is not compatible with the nook.

I'm not sure what Overdrive media files are.  The files should be pdf, epub, mobipocket, Microsoft eBook and the audio files, Overdrive wmv files.  The audio files are books on tape, no what you are looking for.

The only two other files you can use are pdf and ePub.  Mobipocket and Microsoft eBook are not compatible.

You need to download, install and authorize Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) first.  Then, check out a library book, download it to your computer, and open it in ADE.  

Look in my signature for links to FrogAlum's installing ADE and getting library books on your Nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 335 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: