Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MiguelV
0 Kudos

PDF and Epub files not visible on Nook?

Hi all,

I downloaded some .pdf and .epub files from guttenberg, and while I can see and read them via windows explorer, I can't see them on the nook.

The strange thing is that I WAS able to see/read them several weeks ago, but now for the life of me all I can see are the items I purchased/borrowed from bn.com......

Is this a setting issue?  If so, what do I need to do?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: PDF and Epub files not visible on Nook?

[ Edited ]

MiguelV wrote:

Hi all,

I downloaded some .pdf and .epub files from guttenberg, and while I can see and read them via windows explorer, I can't see them on the nook.

The strange thing is that I WAS able to see/read them several weeks ago, but now for the life of me all I can see are the items I purchased/borrowed from bn.com......

Is this a setting issue?  If so, what do I need to do?

Unless it is a file that is downloaded directly to the nok from B&N, you will need to sideload it to the nook. This means pdf files, epubs, etc.

Remember that anything YOU add goes into the My Documents folder, NOT the B&N Library folder. Then you tap on the library icon, and select Go to My Documents. You may also need to do a Check for new content.

Review sideloading in your manual, or view the video from the nook support page.

Hope this helps

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
CrankyCalamari
0 Kudos

I have a similar problem. Kind of. Really, my problem is organizational. Is there anway to force files from "My Stuff" to appear in the other categories. Namely, books that I have downloaded NOT from bn.com, can I get those to appear in the "Books" tab? Failing that, can I somehow move the "My Files" up to replace, say, "Kids" or "Newspapers"?

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

CrankyCalamari wrote:

I have a similar problem. Kind of. Really, my problem is organizational. Is there anway to force files from "My Stuff" to appear in the other categories. Namely, books that I have downloaded NOT from bn.com, can I get those to appear in the "Books" tab? Failing that, can I somehow move the "My Files" up to replace, say, "Kids" or "Newspapers"?

It looks like you're using one of the Simple Touch models. There might be more readers capable of answering your inwuiry in the E-Ink Support section http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-E-Ink-Support/bd-p/STReader.

Some PDF files are actually grey scale pictures of scanned pages onstead of actual text. In other cases a PDF could contain photos, illustrations or diagrams. If you attempt to view such files with the font size set larger than "small" the graphics/pictures might not be displayed. Unfortunately when you do manage to display the graphics they may be too small to be usable or truncated on the right side or bottom.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 518 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: