Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
edhoel
0 Kudos

PDF to epub and calibre

I am considering getting a color nook to use for sideloading magazines. I downloaded a PDF of a magazine and added it to Calibre and then converted it to an epub. I then opened it using Calibre's viewer and the cover of the magazine was accurate but all of the pictures in the articles were reversed (like a color negative). I didn't have a chance to loaded on my nook to see if the pictures looked like a black and white negative.

What happened? and what can I do to correct this before I purchase a color nook?

Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: PDF to epub and calibre

edhoel wrote:

I am considering getting a color nook to use for sideloading magazines. I downloaded a PDF of a magazine and added it to Calibre and then converted it to an epub. I then opened it using Calibre's viewer and the cover of the magazine was accurate but all of the pictures in the articles were reversed (like a color negative). I didn't have a chance to loaded on my nook to see if the pictures looked like a black and white negative.

What happened? and what can I do to correct this before I purchase a color nook?

Thanks

Someone on the NookColor Support board might have more relevant information for you (this is the Nook [e-ink display] Support board) but in general, Calibre conversions of PDFs are spotty at best.  As has been posted many times before, PDF is a page-design format, it contains a lot of extraneous data to maintain the pages as originally laid out, and much of that data is beyond Calibre's ability to handle.

Calibre can handle a PDF that's pretty much straight ahead text, but the above considerations mean that text flow will probably be pretty bad.  A text interspersed with illustrations, decorative fonts and embellishments -- like a glossy magazine article -- is pretty much guaranteed to be a mashup.  :smileyindifferent:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
KnitKicky
0 Kudos

Re: PDF to epub and calibre

Hi, perhaps depending on the magazine you buy, it would make sense to switch your subscription to B&N. Then you can download directly to your color nook.  One of the selling features is directly magazine download for the color (not the classic) nook.  But the folks over at the NookColor boards can tell you better.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 270 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: