Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Chris_A
0 Kudos

Page turning slow after update

After installing the new update last week page turning was faster.  Just yesterday, there's now a lag.  There's a 2 second lag after finger swipe or use of arrows used to turn the page.  Anyone else having issues?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Page turning slow after update

On all books?

I see slowness when paging thru some PDFs especially when the next page has an image.

On everything else its way faster than it was before.  For me, finger swiping is slightly slower than button pressing. (But still sub-second).

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

I noticed that there is some sporadic lagging now. Before the update, I never had to wait really for the page to start turning. After the update, I've had to wait a few seconds several times. I've even pressed the button / swiped a second time thinking it didn't register, but then it turned two pages!

Another issue: the total number of pages for the book is gone! I loved seeing that I was on page 50 out of 350 pages (it was on the bottom right, looked like this:  current page | total pages). Now it just says what page I'm on. Does anyone know if there's a way to bring that back?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

dessine wrote:

Another issue: the total number of pages for the book is gone! I loved seeing that I was on page 50 out of 350 pages (it was on the bottom right, looked like this:  current page | total pages). Now it just says what page I'm on. Does anyone know if there's a way to bring that back?

I see current page and total pages.

Is this a new book?  They paginate the books in the background now, so you don't have to wait so long.  
Also what kind of book is it, (file format)?

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

I was reading before the update and it had both. It's an epub Overdrive book. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Change font size, then change back.  Others have reported this causes the page numbers to reset.

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

Haha! Restarted, that did the trick! Thanks icebike, for some reason your post made me think of trying it (changing font size and style didn't work). 

Frequent Contributor
Linda54660
0 Kudos

I have found the page turns to be faster since the OA update I did Sunday afternoon.

I was about 100 pages from the end of a book before the update.  When I started reading the book Sunday night, there were no page numbers on the bottom of the page (there had been before the update).  After reading approximately 30 to 40 pages, the page numbers suddenly appeared again in the same format as before the update, ie.:  340/461.  I did go and look at changing the font size and style, but did not actually change anything.  I don't know if that somehow triggered something, I know that sounds hinky, but who knows! The page numbers did NOT appear immediately after I looked at the font size and style.  They literally were not there one moment and there the next.  Weird!

Contributor
Allie1
0 Kudos

The page numbers were also gone on my book after the update.  I was reading on one of the other threads on how to fix the problem, so I tried it and it worked.  Open the book and set the nook down for a few minutes, do not put it in sleep mode just let is sit opened for 5-10 minutes.  After you do this, the page numbers magically come back.  I don't know why??? but it worked.  Good luck!

Contributor
mountainkimmie
0 Kudos

dessine wrote:

I've even pressed the button / swiped a second time thinking it didn't register, but then it turned two pages!

I've had this happen on one particular book, but I assumed there was something weird with the book.  At the last page of a chapter, when you go to turn a page it doesn't do anything, just sits there.  So then you hit the button again and it turns two pages.  I've tried just out-waiting it . . .but always give up and just hit the button again.  This doesn't seem to be happening on other books, just this one.
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

mountainkimmie wrote:

I've had this happen on one particular book, but I assumed there was something weird with the book.  At the last page of a chapter, when you go to turn a page it doesn't do anything, just sits there.  So then you hit the button again and it turns two pages.  I've tried just out-waiting it . . .but always give up and just hit the button again.  This doesn't seem to be happening on other books, just this one.

I've found that it takes longer when there's "special" formatting on the following page - so if it's the beginning of a new chapter, there's usually a bigger or different font headlining the chapter, and if i'm reading a periodical, if there are pictures.  Seems logical that it would take slightly longer for the e-ink screen to process something more complicated than plain text.  

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

I too have noticed it taking longer than usual to get the page numbers on the screen, but I have also noticed that the page turns take what seems to be a lot less time.  I used to have to turn the page at the beginning of the second to last line, I now have to wait until the beginning of the last line.  

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

I noticed that, too. In addition, though, sometimes two pages will turn.

Contributor
NookInquirer
0 Kudos

Page count issue. I noticed the total page count was missing when I was in the middle of the book, for some reason by the end of the book it was back. It wasn't a charging issue, because I didn't charge in the middle. It was just there, gone and back again. Hope yours come back, too.

Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

My page turning has become rahter slower in the past couple of days too.

It's funny but I've not had any problems whatsover with my Nook since I got it 3 weeks ago.  It has not frozen up on me, not even once.  I've never lost a bookmark or the last page read.  I've not had any problems buying books or adding books or PDFs.

My Nook has worked perfectly both before (except for the battery life) and after the last update.  I was perfectly happy with the page turn speed before the update and happy with it after the update, though I didn't see much difference.  But that's probably because it was pretty fast before the update.

But now I find that it's gotten slower.  So much so that I sometimes think it didn't work and try it again and then I end up moving 2 pages ahead.  I'll eventually get used to the slower speed but I hope it is something that can be fixed.

But all in all I am extremely pleased with my Nook.

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

My nook has also worked very well but now the page turn does seem to be slower after the update and no improvment in battery length.  I have noticed that if I move my finger faster then the page does turn faster but it is inconsistent as to how fast or slow the page turns so it can be annoying.  No other problems with my nook.

Contributor
RhinoDR
0 Kudos

My nook got really slow this weekend, upwards of 10 seconds to turn pages!  This seems to be happening the further I get into a book.  I found on a different thread that bookmarks are the culprit.  Remove the bookmarks, and pages turn fast again.  I have not tried it yet, just throwing it out there in case any of you want to give it a shot.

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

I and other people are seeing slow page turns with bookmarks on the book (discussed in another thread). I have seen the page turns got faster after I removed all bookmarks (slow page turns persisted for another 5-10 minutes after removing bookmarks though)

Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

I said upthread my page turning had become very slow.  It did that for a few days. But now for some reason or another it has gone back to normal and my page turning is as fast as it was before the update.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 728 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: