Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
bookhugger
0 Kudos

Re: Partial Download of ebook on Nook

My book only partially downloaded.  Has anyone successfully gotten this problem fixed?  I'm having the same issue (since Dec 28th).  I paid for it but can't read past pg 31.  The problem really is that I want to read this book in the series before the next.  I've been on hold for over an hour 3 separate times and have given up.  Is it a waste of my time or will they fix it when they finally get to me?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

First, Download it to your computer, just as a backup.

Then Archive the book.

If you had a sample of this book, hook up to your computer and delete that sample, and maybe delete it from your On-lin B&N library too.

Reboot the nook (clean up its database).

Then check for New B&N Content on the nook, and re-download.

Or wait till new software comes out.... 

Frequent Contributor
woodword
0 Kudos

I had this problem with The Lovely Bones as well. I had downloaded the sample first, and I knew there had been reports of problems with samples, so I went to B&N online library and deleted the sample there. Even so, the actual book only downloaded 65 pages. I archived and unarchived the book - no go. I ended up hooking up the nook to the computer and manually deleting the local copy of the book. I then rebooted my nook for good measure and then checked for new B&N content. The book redownloaded in its entirety and I was able to read all of it. Hope this helps.

Contributor
Spanish_IT
0 Kudos

I had the same issue, here is the fix until they get a new update pushed to the devices. I found it extremely frustrating to be searching for a fix and everyone kept saying to delete the sample before buying in the future, it wasn't helpful as it wasn't going to help me fix the current problem. So here you go, the thread should be found by clicking on the link below, this is the fix for getting all of your current book.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Sample-chapter-purchase-issue-Semi-Official...

Please share this with others, its on the discussion board.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

Perhaps they have very recently put out a new  improved ebook version of lovely bones. I have tried what was suggested on a book I have problems with and it did not help. No response yet from CS - maybe they think the new firmware upgrade will fix the problem.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I had the same thing happen with Dear John.  I wanted to see why my students were enthralled with it, so I downloaded the sample and decided to buy the book.  I could only get 38 pages.  When I looked at it with the e-reader on my computer, the whole book was there.  After looking at the boards, I tried all the tricks that were mentioned and even got into where it kept formatting.  Finally, I downloaded it to my documents and that worked.  Everything else I've purchased worked fine.

New User
Sport8
0 Kudos

I have purchased Shutter Island and the Nook keeps reading formatting - this has been going on for several days now. I've archived and unarchived with no luck.  I can read it just fine on my Blackberry but for some reason it will not load on my Nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had a problem with the Lovely Bones.  I'd been able to download it fully to my nook, but it was stuck formatting.  The nook wasn't frozen, just this book wouldn't format.  I went on my computer to my account at BN.com, downloaded the book from digital management-library to my pc.  Then I sideloaded it into my documents on my nook.  Now I can read it just fine.

I had tried everything else before and the book would work fine in the bn ereader.  I tried manually deleting it and sideloading it into my library.  I tried archiving and unarchiving, re-downloading, this was the only thing that worked.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
crTX
0 Kudos

We are having the same problem.  We paid for Dear John and only received 103 pages.  Deleted it after paying for it downloaded again and paid again only to receive the same 103 pages.  We bought another ebook that was different title and it happened again to that book.  Now have paid for 3 books that are only partial and cannot be read.  Tried calling Tech support stayed on hold for almost an hour and tried a gain later to find them closed for the day.  Very frustrating at this point. 

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

crTX wrote:

We are having the same problem.  We paid for Dear John and only received 103 pages.  Deleted it after paying for it downloaded again and paid again only to receive the same 103 pages.  We bought another ebook that was different title and it happened again to that book.  Now have paid for 3 books that are only partial and cannot be read.  Tried calling Tech support stayed on hold for almost an hour and tried a gain later to find them closed for the day.  Very frustrating at this point. 

Have you tried downloading the books to your computer from your bn account?  Then sideload into your my documents folder if sideloading into your library folder doesn't work.  As I said that is what worked for me for a book that wouldn't stop formatting.   Read the first paragraph of my previous post.  I didn't mean re-downloading it worked, but downloading onto my pc and sideloading to my documents on the nook did.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

It happened to me again!  I got a sample of J.A. Jance's Dismissed with Prejudice.  When I went to the sample and tried to "buy", it didn't let me.  I had to go back to the shopping function and do it that way.  I got 37 pages.  I bet it has to do with the sample.  I'll go through all the archiving suggestions but will probably just download it to my documents.

For the person who has had this happen to three books:  Download the B&N e-reader.  Then, try to read the books there from your online account.  You should have the complete copy, but it's not completely downloading to the Nook.  It's a problem, but there's a way around it.  However, they should fix it. 

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

Some books do indeed have problems, not being formatted correctly by the publishers for the Nook, such as Lovely Bones and the Gail Z Martin Necromancer series etc. I got refunds and then bought them from Fictionwise in ePub or PDB format. Never had a problem with Fictionwise, ref incomplete books.

Frequent Contributor
AshleyDel
0 Kudos

Have about 50 books on my Nook now, that I purchased from B and N , Fictionwise, Baen or free from Baen. About a third of these I had the formatting issue but hardly ever from anyone but the B and N store. I got them all to format correctly: If it takes longer than 30 seconds to format then I exit out of the book, go back in again, but this time adjust the font size-after doing this a couple(or three) of times, I find that the formatting completes in a few seconds. It's not that the formatting takes forever-not true-the formatting itself is fast, however the Nook 'hangs' after the formatting is complete, hence the continuous 'formatting...' message on your screen. The trick is getting the Nook to recognize that formatting is complete and opening up the book.

I would like to state that this is as annoying as hell, but with this workaround I can at least get the books that are only available at B and N for a decent price, downloaded and pleasantly readable. Another point to mention is that for those who seem to get incomplete books frequently....well they are not incomplete. It can take up to 10 minutes for all the chapters to show. So you may see chaps 1- 5 in the Index pages and cannot scroll down further. Exit the book, go back in...and suddenly you see chaps 6-20 etc.

Again, this is very annoying, but I know for a fact that future software updates will indeed be able to solve these problems. Though there are some books which just haven't been formatted corrrectly by the publishers yet. I read all my books on the Nook now, since the screen is beautiful compared o the Kindle 2(which I also own). Also the price and selection has improved a thosand per cent in the last month. I'm prepared to give it time. To echo one of my fellow contributors: We should all know that this is a new product and will have problems. If you are not somewhat of a techno nerd/geek or whatever and did not do your research, then why would you spend almost $300.00 on a device that was not even available in the stores for most of us? You may expect B and N to sell a perfect product, but in my experience that rarely happens in reality.

Betatesting can only take you so far. People use the Nook in real life very differently-with other stores, badly formatted books by the publisher, varied charging habits, not following correct setup instructions and....well the list is endless. But my point is, that you cannot expect anything close to perfection this quickly. However, the knowledge of the customer service reps is atrocious and often very discourteous. That is because they know nothing about the Nook, unless they transfer you to the digital reps...who are so overwhelmed with complaints...that I have held on for about 90 minutes or more....not exactly ideal...

I have obtained refunds on 2 of my books and am waiting on a 3rd one-all were incorrectly formatted by the publisher-confirmed in the forums. Refunds CAN be given for any digital Nook book that is having problems by regular B and N reps. This was confirmed to me by the supervisor in Digital Services. I am not putting her name and extension here for obvious reasons. However, if any of you do have issues with refunds, then I suggest you ask for the supervisor in Digital services who was very courtous and professional.Just the way it should be.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if the new update fixed the problem of partial downloads of books which had a free sample?  I got a sample last night and need to either delete the sample off or take my chances.  If it doesn't work, I can still put it in my downloads, but I wondered if anyone knows for sure?

Frequent Contributor
lindag8r
0 Kudos

Wow!  I am sorry that you are having a horrible experience!  

I had a similar problem with a Sookie Stackhouse book.  I ended up downloading it to my computer, verified the entire book was there, and then I used Calibre to sideload the book into my documents on my nook.  

It was a pain to do it that way, but at least I got the book and was able to read it.

If Lovely Bones is a publisher's issue, then they should remove it as an ebook until it is resolved.  AND,  B&N should refund all purchasers of the ebook.  

Good luck!

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I got brave and tried buying a book that I had a sample of without deleting the sample.  It worked!  I got the whole book!  Yes!:smileyvery-happy:

New User
colorguardna
0 Kudos

Try archieving thebook. Unarchieve it, then power off your nook. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

colorguardna wrote:

I'm guessing they might have figured out something that works over the last 3 years.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

colorguardna wrote:

I'm guessing they might have figured out something that works over the last 3 years.

:smileylol:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: