Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
GlendaK
0 Kudos

Partial Download of ebook on Nook

I am extremely frustrated by spending ten dollars on a book when only 52 pages of it download successfully onto my nook. I am also frustrated by not being able to find anyone from B & N admitting to this problem and their lack of customer service representatives when so many things seem to be going wrong. So basically, I'm asking, how on earth can I get the book I paid for that is now in my library fully downloaded, rather than just a few pages of it. I've checked, I've been charged for it. I've tried putting it in my archive, then putting it back into my library. Nothing seems to work. Please help!

New User
Amynyny
0 Kudos

Re: Partial Download of ebook on Nook

I am having this same problem, and it is incredibly frustrating after paying so much for this equipment and book!

Frequent Contributor
Kitten83
0 Kudos

what books are you having problems with?

New User
bcounts11
0 Kudos

I'm having this issue with the Lovely Bones. I've paid for it and downloaded it to my nook and its only giving me 55 pages. i'm going to call support tomorrow, but after reading the forums this seems to be a common issue. In addition, the 55 pages i get is only if its in "extra small" font. If i turn the font up to medium (which i would rather have). Then i'm down to 43 pages. I've yet to find any resolution or any official statement on this topic, But I will say, if this is a common issue among ebooks on the nook, then thats a deal breaker for me and I'm exchanging this for a kindle.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Archive it, then re-download it.

Try changing your fonts too.

New User
OldbroadSH
0 Kudos

This is also happening to me.  I was reading away and the book ended in the middle of a word 2/3 of the way through the story!  I had gaps in an earlier book and that was fixed by downloading the 1.1.1 update.  But now I have 5 books I bought and have to finish reading using the e-reader program on my computer!  Makes me wonder if I should have bought a Kindle!!!

Reader 2
chloen28
0 Kudos

I also had this problem with a book.  Archiving it and re-downloading worked for me.  Make sure you have a good 3-G signal before trying to download.  Hope this works.

New User
Jimnjenny2
0 Kudos

I just downloaded The Lovely Bones & only got 38 pages. I tried to archive & download again. The end result was 38 pages!!! Arrrggg!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I'm on the phone with customer support & it's been 30 minutes of hold time so far. Talk about frustation!!!!!!!!!! 

New User
hilli64
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with The Lovely Bones.   Have talked to customer service.  They say it is the publishers problem and I am on a "list".   I am very frustrated.   Also have lost words and sentences in the 65 pages I did receive.   The solution to that, I am told, is to keep changing the size of the fonts.  Was told to try larger or smaller - very inconvenient.   So far my experience with the Nook has been unpleasant to say the least.   Using the keyboard is also frustrating.   I have  read the user guide, sent e-mails to customer service, called customer service three times before anyone could give me an answer about partial downloads and now I am wondering if that is true.   

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Wow.  I'm sorry to hear y'all are having problems with this!!  :smileysad:  Not cool.

But thanks for the heads up.  I'll hold off getting that book for my nook until this problem is resolved!

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
New User
Jimnjenny2
0 Kudos

I have already archived and re-downloaded and it does not work.  I don't understand why I have to sit on hold for 48 minutes and counting to resolve the issue.  I am going to DEMAND a refund...they apparently have known for sometime this was an issue specifically with The Lovely Bones so if it is indeed a publishers issue then why is it still available as an ebook.  So wrong...so far I am disappointed with my Nook and all of the issues with missing words and letters.  Apparently some have been told to change fonts but I also read on Barnes and Nobles site its an issue with a corrupt e-file.  The instructions on how to delete aren't even correct...it says to got to the Menu Icon in any ebook, which does not exist and "delete", which is not an option.  You actually have to archive.  They can't even give correct directions.  So sad and disappointed and now I am stuck with the Nook since you only have 14 days for a refund. 

New User
hilli64
0 Kudos

I just tried archiving The Lovely Bones and downloading it again.   I still get just 65 pages.     Thanks anyway.

New User
bcounts11
0 Kudos

I was told by support that I had to have a tech re-send the book to my device. They forwarded me to the tech department that was capable of doing this, but after being on hold for and Hour and a half, I gave up. I'm now reading Fearless by Max Lucado and that seems to be fine. Hopefully i can get through to them on another day so i can either get the lovely bones fixed or refunded. I hope this doesn't continue to happen with other ebooks...

New User
OldbroadSH
0 Kudos

Don't let them tell you this is a problem with just specific books.  I had the problem with a Krentz book I downloaded first and it was seeming corrected with installing 1.1.1.  However, I bought 5 other non best seller books and none downloaded completely.  I get 7/8 of the way through, turn the page, and it ends in the middle of a word. I downloaded the free e-reader to my laptop and can at least finish reading the books on it, but that is not why I wanted an e-reader. The only book so far to get all the way through was Witch & Wizard by Patterson. I am ordering a Kindle today.  The nook was a gift so I will let the giver of the gift know the problem and let them decide whether to keep the nook until this is resolved or returm it.  I am so disappointed because the features are so much better on the nook than the Kindle.

Reader 2
owl93
0 Kudos

I was able to get around this problem by downloading the book & putting it in My Documents.

Contributor
firetiger8706
0 Kudos

That happen to me too. It was with Golden Compass. I sideloaded, re-downloaded, changed font, etc. Nothing worked. 

Reader 2
SeaSiren
0 Kudos

I am having the EXACT same problem with The Lovely Bones.  55 pages is all I get whether I archive and re-load or download to My Documents (having the same font issues as well).  I've also been on hold for hours (literally) trying to get through to Tech Support.  I've loved my Nook so far, but am very disappointed in the lack of tech support from B&N, and I completely agree with you...this should not still be available as an E-Book if there are known issues with the download (they certainly are quick to charge me for the download, and I've yet to see any issues with their billing software).

Are we now going to have to search the forums before downloading books to make sure it's "safe"??

Sorry that you're having this trouble, but very glad to see that I'm not alone.

Reader 2
SaraCharm
0 Kudos

I got my nook on Friday, been "formatting" Food Rules ever since. Other books have downloaded fine, even from sideloading. I've tried archiving, resetting, draining battery, re-downloading. Every time, it gets to the formatting stage, and then bam-stuck there for hours/(days?). It opens fine in the library, but that's not where I want it to be! i'm going to try side-loading it into my documents. My music won't load either.

New User
kbennett79
0 Kudos

I had this problem yesterday with Dear John. I had downloaded the sample for the book and then purchased it but only the sample is downloaded to my nook. I've tried every trick mentioned and can't get it to download the book. I just wanted to add my example since I'm having the problem with a different book from most people on this thread. Has anyone heard of a resolution is to this problem from customer support? I don't want to waste hours on hold if they can't even fix it. Did everyone else download the sample before purchasing the book - I think that might be the problem...

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen, so before I purchase an eBook for which I have a sample, I just take a little extra time and delete the sample from my library ON bn.com, then have my nook check for new content, which removes the sample from the nook, and THEN purchase the book.  Haven't had a problem with partial downloads so far.

I don't know what to do about the ones that have already been purchased, but in the future, just take that extra little bit of time to save a lot of headache.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 569 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: