Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

Please help to Sync Nook and Android Phone

Hi,

I just downloaded 1.5 on my nook (classic), and downloaded the android nook app to my phone a couple of weeks ago.   What do you have to do to sync the two?  If I read on the nook, it stays on the page I left off.  And the same thing with the phone.  I tried turning on the wireless on the nook when I finished reading (thinking that would somehow sync to the phone) but the page on the phone didn't change.  Sorry guys, I'm OLD.  (:  Can someone please tell me how to do it?  I can only find notices saying the nook will now sync to different devices but there are no directions telling how to do it.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  

Julie  

1. NEW! Stay in Sync Across Multiple Devices
Automatically sync the last page you read on your NOOK or NOOK app with another. For instance, if you stop reading on a certain page on your NOOK, you'll automatically open to the same exact place on your iPad, iPhone or Android-based Smartphone using our FREE NOOK apps.

Frequent Contributor
deb53WA
0 Kudos

Re: Please help to Sync Nook and Android Phone

Have you figured out how to get the two to sync?  I'm having the same issue.

Thanks

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

Open up a book on your Nook. You will see a button called Preferences. Select it and you should see an option for Auto Save Page on BN.com, turn that on. It then works for all your books. I didn't have to do anything on my Android phone app. Should work after that.

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

Hi yarn, thanks for the post.  I found the setting on my my (classic) nook but it still isn't syncing to my android (sprint hero) phone.  I even updated the nook app for android.  I was surprized there was an update already because I just downloaded it about 10 days ago.  I'll keep my eye on the topic in case anyone can help.  

Thanks, Julie

Currently reading:  The Other Boyleyn Girl

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Some suggest that this sync never happens till you exit the book back to the main menu.  You should then see a wifi/3G indicator at the top.  Without that wifi/3g symbol showing up, sync didn't happen.

I've tested this method on a nook and an iPhone. I'll re-install the android app and try it there.

Same on the phone.  Exit the book and hit the sync icon.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

No problem. Same here on the Android app. I have Motorola Blackflip and just recently upgraded it to 2.1 from 1.5 and therefore could finally install the Nook app. Have now installed the upgrade for Nook on there too and I think that Icebike is right on that you have to have opened and closed the books on each device as well as watching for the sync signals before it kicks in. It took a bit of opening and closing on my devices and my Nook for PC for them to start syncing but they seem to be working now.

Reader 2
rlyell
0 Kudos

Not true! The sync across Nook for PC, Nook for Android, and Nook does not work on my 2 PC's, Nook, and Droid 2. Latest updates installed. Settings for automatically saving 'on'. Lots of hype to go with lots of frustration.

Reader 4
JuneT
0 Kudos

I'm having trouble too.  Preferences set to auto save page on BN.com, airplane mode off.  Read book on android phone - end on page farther than read on nook and see the library syncing icon spin as I exit the book on phone.  Continues to open nook at last page read there - even though it should have been farther.

I see that this is working for some people - is there anything else we can try?

Thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JuneT wrote:

I'm having trouble too.  Preferences set to auto save page on BN.com, airplane mode off.  Read book on android phone - end on page farther than read on nook and see the library syncing icon spin as I exit the book on phone.  Continues to open nook at last page read there - even though it should have been farther.

I see that this is working for some people - is there anything else we can try?

Thanks

Are you exiting the book on the nook (backward Arrow in touch screen)?  When I do that, with airplane mode off, I can see nook's radio (wifi or 3g) come on.  Then I give it a couple minutes.

Then on the the iPhone (I de-installed the Android Nook client - to big), after if fires up it says its synchronizing position (and notes and bookmarks) and then it works.

But I had to exit the book on the nook for this to work.

Maybe you could try this and report back?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

If you've been reading on your phone or other device, when you are finished reading, exit by returning to the library and making sure the "sync" button spins.   When you open the book on the nook it does not automatically go to the last page read on the other device, you need to tap on "GO TO" in the menu and then tap on "Last Page Saved on BN.com".  That will get you synchronized.

When you've finished reading on the nook it is not necessary to do anything.  As the nook prepares to go to sleep it will contact the BN server and update the last page read.  When you then open your other device make sure it does a sync from the library, open your book and give it few seconds to update.

This routine has been working for me on a nook, nookcolor and android phone.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

My nook's auto sleep interval is 15 minutes.  I didn't wait for it in my tests.

I simply exited the book, and watched for the 3g symbol to light up and show bars.

So I can't say for sure that it works as you say.

Still I find it VERY finicky syncing pages.

And although the iPhone app claims it is syncing highlights and bookmarks, it really doesn't. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I tested my nook and nookcolor again.  If I leave them to go to sleep on their own, they sync.  If I manually put them to sleep, they don't sync. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

What about if you exit the book Ed?  Do they sync then?

Lots of us are in the habit of manually sleeping the nook (for no good reason).  Maybe you have hit on the crux of the matter here.

By the way, how long is your automatic sleep time?

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I ran a quick test.  I advanced my page by four pages on the nook, exited the book, waited for the connection symbol to appear, gave another 20 seconds or so and put the nook to sleep.  Then I opened the nook app on my android phone, tapped the sync button waited for it to finish and tapped on 'reading now' - it opened to the proper page.

Autosleep on the nook is 5 minutes, on the nookcolor it's 2 minutes.

I just found out that the nookcolor will not sync while it's on the charger, once removed from the charger it sync's normally.  Hmmmm...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Please help to Sync Nook and Android Phone - SOLVED

Ok so the rule is EITHER:

Exit the book

or

Let it fall asleep

We need to get out of the habit of manually sleeping the nook if we want Sync to work.

Reader 4
JuneT
0 Kudos

Re: Please help to Sync Nook and Android Phone - SOLVED

Just now had opportunity to check out all the suggestions and lo and behold~!  Success.  I wasn't aware when going to nook to open a book that I'd read further on my android phone that I needed to use the "go to last page read on BN.com" option.  That did it.  Then I turned airplane mode off, read for a while on the nook (beyond where I'd gone on the android phone), let the nook go to sleep normally, then waited a beat.  Opened the book on android, sync'd up and it went to the farther page I'd read on nook. 

Hooray!  Thanks everyone for the help!

Reader
pbgibson
0 Kudos

I can't find the "Last Page Saved on BN.com on my nook color.  When I tap on Go To Page I can only put in a page number.  Help!

New User
DiamondG
0 Kudos

Re: Open up a book on your Nook. You will see a button called Preferences. 

I do not see a button called Preferences. I have a Simple Touch.

The ability to sync across devices was one of the major selling pionts for buying the Nook. I'll be so disappointed if i can't do this. Presently, i am in different places on two devices and have different notes on each as well. 

Thanks

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

DiamondG wrote:

I do not see a button called Preferences. I have a Simple Touch.

This forum is for the original NOOK, not the Simple Touch. For help with the Simple Touch, go the the NOOK Simple Touch Support forum: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-Support/bd-p/STReader

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 423 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: