Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BadWine
0 Kudos

Pressing "View my documents" doesn't work

I have sideloaded more than 300 titles into "my documents" folder.

In the past, many times I have switched to "My B&N documents" and back to "My documents" with no problem.

Beginning last night the nook will only show B&N titles. It will not show sideloaded titles.

Pressing "View my documents" darkens that button showing that the press was noted, but the nook does nothing more.

When I press "Hide archived items" or "Show archived items" the list titles "My documents" and "My B&N documents" will switch back and forth, but the list of titles does not change.

I have connected the Nook to my computer and copied the titles in My Documents to a folder on my computer. Deleted the titles on the nook. Then copied the titles back into My documents. No effect.

Right before this problem I did several things.

1. I deleted two hundred Google books from online nook store.

2. I moved one mp3 audiobook into My audiobooks.

The only thing I have not tried is reinstalling nook's software.

Chris Rippel

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Pressing "View my documents" doesn't work

When done sideloading did you select eject for the nook in my computer?  Then safely remove hardware?

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
BadWine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I finally figured out what was wrong.

Through some mysterious error, all my sideloaded titles had been copied a second time, and maybe a third time, into one of the other file folders. So instead of having 300 titles, I had 600 or 900 titles. Either this confused the Nook so that it did not respond or the number of titles so overwhelmed it it did not even show the "Loading" message.

Now that I have deleted the titles in the other folder, the Nook works fine.

Chris

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

You probably have a PDF with bad metadata among your documents.  (search for metadata in the search box).  

When you remove all of your documents be careful that your operating system does not create a trash (recycle bin) on the nook, which will be found when you try to list your documents.  Remove any such recycle bin that gets created on the nook.

Then eject (don't trust the "safely remove button in the tray), and power off, and power back on the nook. 

Then restore side loaded content, avoiding PDF files till the last.  Check that it works,  then add PDF files a few at a time, so that when you encounter the offending one(s) you can remove that group easily.   

You can fix your broken PDFs with a free download of Calibre.  Most of these are simply missing metadata such as sort author, or dates or something.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 471 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: