Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Wyllowdaemon
0 Kudos

Probably the most idiotic question ever asked but...

Exactly how are you supposed to turn a nook on... now before you click ....close this thread get me out of here she's a nut, hear me out.

I try to turn on tmy  Nook and sometimes the screen just flashes and doesn't actually boot up the Nook....I simply press the power button and the top screen may flicker from grey to black but the loading  screen but fails to boot.. Usually if I press the on button twice I get vertical lines on the screen then the proper Nook loading screen.  Is this normal?  Is there a number of seconds you are supposed to hold the button to turn the reader on... I just got this Nook and if this is odd I would rather exchange it for another one that isn't defective.  Has anyone else had this problem?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Re: Probably the most idiotic question ever asked but...

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Re: Probably the most idiotic question ever asked but...

Ha!  This is the first question I can answer, cuz I just got my Nook too.  According to the User Guide, "To turn your Nook on, display the touchscreen, awaken your Nook from sleep, or cause your Nook to sleep, press the power button for about one second and release it."  (Page 16, under Power and Charging.) 

Sometimes my Nook does the same thing you were complaining of.  I'm guessing that I'm just a little too quick on the power button,.  I KNOW I don't always hold for a full second.  And to the best of my knowledge, the lines are normal.  No problems yet!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 717 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: