Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Miltrans
0 Kudos

Problem Ejecting

I am new to Nook, but think I understand the instructions to "eject" the drive if it's attached to the USB of my computer. But when I try, I get a message that the Nook drive "is currently in use. If you eject this disk now, you may lose data in any open files. Before ejecting this disk, make sure all files are closed and no multimedia files (such as music or video) are playing." I do not have any music or video files. My options consist of the "X" in the upper right or an "OK" button, both of which close the box with nothing happening. Am I doing something wrong? 

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: Problem Ejecting

[ Edited ]

When you eject the nook from within windows explorer, make sure that the nook drive is not the open drive in windows explorer.  For example, highlight your My Documents or the C: drive, then right click on the nook drive and choose eject.  That should avoid the message.

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

I had this issue with a Vista laptop and probably a reason why I was haivng such trouble with the content I copied over.

I would highly suggest you use Calibre, it can eject the nook without issue.  Download link

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

I use Vista and in the lower right corner of the bottom tool bar is the icon for the nook drive. When I am done, I close the window I was using for the Nook folders. Then I left click the icon and it will pop up about Safely remove hardware, then I click it and it will pop-up message something about you can now safely remove or something to that effect. One time it did not allow me to, but I waited a minute and then tried the left icon and it worked fine.

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

Safely Remove Hardware isn't really the recommended way to "eject" the nook's drive. Plenty of people have run into problems using that option. It seems to safest way to do it is to double click on My Computer and right click on the Nook's Removable Drive (and the Nook's expansion card drive, if you have one) and select Eject....

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 714 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: