Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Loren38
0 Kudos

Problems Unregistering Nook

After changing my password on my account, I realized that I should have unregistered my Nook first.  Of course, I tried to unregister after changing my password - and Nook gave me an error message when I tried to unregister.

So I changed my password back to the original password and tried to unregister.  It won't let me do that either.  AND it won't let me restore to factory settings until I unregister.

Help?

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

Re: Problems Unregistering Nook

First off would can you tell us the error number that the nook itself is giving?

Secondly you should be able to go to Account > My Nook and unregister it online.

Contributor
bookshelfcat
0 Kudos

I know this is an old post, but I had a similar issue when I changed my email address for my bn.com account.  Unfortunately, If you go to Account> my nook> unregister, you are not able to actually unregister the nook online. It only gives you instructions to unregister from the device itself.  (And a link to change your password for security purposes if you don't have access to the device.)

I had to change my email back to my old email, unregister it, and then go back and change my online account to my new email, and re-register it.  But I see this didn't work for you with your password.  I'm curious as to how the problem was resolved!

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@bookshelfcat

Chances are, that person's long gone -- his/her last post was in March. :smileysad:

Did what you did work for you?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

@Abthree,

According to the user guide, that is what you have to do if you want/need to change your email address or password.  You have to unregister the Nook, change the information on B&N.com and the register with the new information.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

@Abthree,

According to the user guide, that is what you have to do if you want/need to change your email address or password.  You have to unregister the Nook, change the information on B&N.com and the register with the new information.

Yep, I wanted to make sure that it worked for bookshelfcat, who's posting on a dead thread.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
flipflopfly584
0 Kudos

Okay. My nook is broken ( i went in Barns & Noble) and they told me i had to first unregister my broken nook online before i could get a new one. and i cant seem to figure out how to unregister it online. please help ? :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

You don't need to unregister your old NOOK to register your new one. It's nice if you can, but don't worry about it if you can't. Customer Service should take care of it when they get your old NOOK, or you can call them at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

New User
CgullSV
0 Kudos

So far I have not been impressed with customer service for Nook.  Both reps I spoke to had communication issues.  Neither rep seemed very familiar with software. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised if there is a next time.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

CgullSV: It's the Christmas rush. All of the people who got NOOKs for Christmas were calling in to learn how to use them (because reading the manual isn't "reading"), and the demand hasn't been helped by the on-going problems at the BN.com server farm.

B&N had to add a whole bunch of outsourced Customer Service people, probably with some training but little or no hands-on experience, to handle the flood of calls from new NOOK and NOOKcolor owners. It's unfortunate, but there's really no alternative when you've got a new tech product that's selling quite well.

The same thing happened last year at Christmas time. Within a month or two, things settled down and B&N Customer Service became quick, efficient, and pleasant. I'm expecting the same this year.

New User
kk72
0 Kudos

Mine does that same exact thing but with the user name it says to put in the registered username but the whole reason why i changed it is becuase i forgot the registered usernames password so i made a new one and i go to log in and it says i need the old password but i FORGOT IT! :smileysurprised: so yes HELP!!!!!!

New User
kk72
0 Kudos

And my old username (email) is broken and cannot recieve any messages so i cant just change the password but sending the email to reset

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

kk72 wrote:

And my old username (email) is broken and cannot recieve any messages so i cant just change the password but sending the email to reset

In that case there's nothing that we can do. You'll need to talk to B&N Customer Support. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

New User
Patticake1111
0 Kudos

take it to Barnes and Noble their nook expert will help you

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 510 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: