Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Purchasing E-Books From Canada

I'm terribly disappointed.  I live in Canada and have received a Nook.  After having problems registering the device because of the Wi-Fi issue I was promised that someone would call me from technical support within 3 days.  That did not happen. 

With the help of someone from Best Buy (who have wi-fi available) I got the Nook registered.  Now I found I CANNOT buy the majority of e-books on the B&N website.  They are NOT available in Canada.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Purchasing E-Books From Canada

Ritat_ wrote:

I'm terribly disappointed.  I live in Canada and have received a Nook.  After having problems registering the device because of the Wi-Fi issue I was promised that someone would call me from technical support within 3 days.  That did not happen. 

With the help of someone from Best Buy (who have wi-fi available) I got the Nook registered.  Now I found I CANNOT buy the majority of e-books on the B&N website.  They are NOT available in Canada.

You will find this with any ereader.  The publishers must give B&N the rights to sell it internationally.  Some will refuse to.  Other may have a different affiliate publisher for Canada than in the US.

New User
Blast9239
0 Kudos

(whisper)Yes you can.  Go to us-unlocked and see blog.  There is an article there about ordering from Canada as well as how to purchase books.  If I remember correctly you download hotspot sheild which reroutes your ipp address to an american one.  This works.  Also, depending on how far from the border you live you may be able to download through 3g.

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

I have a Sony reader as well.  There are far fewer items that state they are available only in the U.S.  For instance I was able to purchase Innocent Traitor from Sony, but B & N lists it as available only in the U.S. 

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I'm going to check it out.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Blast9239 wrote:
(whisper)Yes you can.  Go to us-unlocked and see blog.  There is an article there about ordering from Canada as well as how to purchase books.  If I remember correctly you download hotspot sheild which reroutes your ipp address to an american one.  This works.  Also, depending on how far from the border you live you may be able to download through 3g.

The catch here is needing a US credit card with a US address on file.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Ritat_ wrote:

I'm terribly disappointed. 

But you (or whoever bought the nook for you) knew this going in.  Its clearly stated on the web page.

You can get proxy-free and use it from your home computer do buy and download books, but you may need to have a friend "host" a credit card for you in the states. (This may be illegal, I don't know).

There are many places you can buy ebooks.

Http://fictionwise.com/

Http://Ereader.com/

http://manybooks.com/

http://inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/?site=nook

http://www.baen.com/

http://www.kobobooks.com/

Google will find dozens more.  You are not limited to B&N.

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

"But you (or whoever bought the nook for you) knew this going in.  Its clearly stated on the web page."

No, not really.  It was stated that sales into Canada would start in December.  For heavens sake - even the FREE ebooks aren't available for download into Canada. 
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It was never stated that All ebooks would be available in Canada.

Canadian Copyrights must be honored by B&N.

You can't blame them for following Canadian Law can you?  You would be the first to complain if they ignored your country's laws and sold books which they had no right to sell there.

Many free books are free because they are not covered by US copyright law.  They may well be covered by other copyrights in other countries, countries that have treaties with Canada, but not with the US.  Copyright law is a patchwork quilt.

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Canadian Copyrights must be honored by B&N.

You can't blame them for following Canadian Law can you?  You would be the first to complain if they ignored your country's laws and sold books which they had no right to sell there.

If the issue is copyright , how does one explain the fact that most e-books are being sold in Canada by other book vendors but not by B & N?  For example Dean Koontz books, Dan Brown , James Patterson...

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of other vendor's e-books are sold in Canada -- 99% of B&N's e-books are not. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Ritat_ wrote:

If the issue is copyright , how does one explain the fact that most e-books are being sold in Canada by other book vendors but not by B & N?  For example Dean Koontz books, Dan Brown , James Patterson...

I'd hazard a guess that 90% of other vendor's e-books are sold in Canada -- 99% of B&N's e-books are not. 

Because those vendors, which may very well be native canadian vendors for all I know, have gone through the rigamarole/licensing fees to sell books in compliance with Canadian copyright law.  B&N may very well be working on this (and even the vaunted Amazon Kindle, which now has an "international" edition that covers a lot of the international fees, took at least a year after the initial kindle release to get that up and running), but they never promised anything on this front other than what they currently offer.  

Many writers use different publishers in different countries (i.e., JK Rowling uses a completely different publisher in the UK (Bloomsbury) and the US (Scholastic) - the UK publisher is not authorized to sell the UK version of the hard copy book here in the states, and vice-versa - if Rowling were to ever change her mind and actually allow e-books, UK sellers would have to negotiate with Bloomsbury for the UK sale rights and US sellers would have to negotiate with Scholastic for the US sale rights, both in compliance with their local copyright laws.  The fact that Scholastic authorizes the sale of the US version in the US has absolutely no bearing on what would become available in the UK).

Contributor
Ritat_
0 Kudos

Many writers use different publishers in different countries (i.e., JK Rowling uses a completely different publisher in the UK (Bloomsbury) and the US (Scholastic) - the UK publisher is not authorized to sell the UK version of the hard copy book here in the states, and vice-versa -

Thank you.  This is the best explanation I've heard yet and one I can ALMOST buy into.  Does that mean that somewhere down the road in the not too distant future, Canadians will be able to actually BUY books from B & N.? 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Ritat_ wrote:

Thank you.  This is the best explanation I've heard yet and one I can ALMOST buy into.  Does that mean that somewhere down the road in the not too distant future, Canadians will be able to actually BUY books from B & N.? 

That was non sequitur.

Nothing in the explanation suggested any impending change.

I doubt you will find much beside speculation on this forum.  The lawyers working on any copyright deals are not permitted to talk, and the B&N executives do not want to pre-announce anything until the ink is dried.

We are just nook users like you. We have no crystal ball.  Even the forum Admins are a LONG way from management.  

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:19 members 308 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: