Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MichWriter
0 Kudos

Question Mark on Battery.

[ Edited ]

I just received my Nook (Giles) the first week of Feb. and yesterday as I woke it up from sleep mode I noticed that there was a question mark on the battery. It did finally go away, but I had this happen once when I plugged it in to the charger.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could cause this or is it a problem that can only be fixed by replacing the Nook?

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Re: Question Mark on Battery.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the question mark means that the nook has a problem with the battery. Such as not recognizing it as a battery. That's as much as I know and I realize it isn't much. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in and splain it to both of us.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I think it just does not yet know the battery state.

The charge measuring circuit (usually a separate power management chip) periodically, or upon demand, tests the battery charge state.  (This by the way, actually depletes the battery a little bit).  It hold the last measurement in its chipset until the Operating system gets around to reading it.

The Battery daemon (bit of software) running in the OS periodically reads the chip to get the battery state, and posts it in memory someplace for any other part of the system that wants to know: The top of the screen, the settings page, etc.  That way you don't have to test battery state with each page turn. 

If the battery daemon craps out, the value in memory never gets updated.  The system reports that it simply does not know the state.

I've had the daemon crash on my iPhone, and the stupid phone shows full battery for a day and a half, then shuts down when the battery finally fails.

If you see the battery question mark for a long time, I would reboot the nook.  Probably the battery daemon died.

Inspired Contributor
WarBrand
0 Kudos

The only time that I have seen the question mark on the battery is immediately after coming out of sleep or after booting. I assume that it is displayed because the nook has not fully discovered all of the state of battery. On my nook the question mark goes away in a matter of seconds.

Don't give up, don't ever give up.
New User
Syl23
0 Kudos

My nook works fine (the good one).  My husband's nook has the question mark on the battery.  The nook was frozen so I've reset and recharged to no avail.  Tech support gave me the same instructions to reset & recharge.  No longer frozen but his nook still has the question mark.and connectivity issue with this nook.  I'm ready to send this evil nook back to B&N for a replacement.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

Nook will show ? on the battery if you have the battery removed (and the Nook is running off wall power).  Your battery may be making inconsistent contact with the device in which case, I recommend the battery shim technique that you can find by searching around this forum.

New User
adele-1934
0 Kudos

replace battery

can you replace battery on nook

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: replace battery

@adele-1934,

I have attached a video link on how to replace your battery...(see below):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

Michael-V

New User
Anubis02
0 Kudos

Here is what you do:

1. Remove battery

2. Press and hold power button for 60 seconds.

3. Wait 30 minutes then re-inseret battery

4. Plug in device to wall charger for a minimum of 3 hours without unplugging it or using it.

Everything should be fine with it as you just did a hard battery reset.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 584 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: