Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
contimali
0 Kudos

Question about EPUB files on the Nook

Hello I just received the all-new Nook. I copied a book that is EPUB format, the file also has a JPG and OPF along with it. Can I delete those JPG and OPF files? Are those files used by Nook to handle the EPUB?

Thanks!

Mike

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Question about EPUB files on the Nook

contimali wrote:

Can I delete those JPG and OPF files? Are those files used by Nook to handle the EPUB?

You don't want to delete them.  

The .jpg is the book's cover art and the .opf is the metadata.  The book might (will?) "work" without the cover art, but I believe that if you delete the .opf, you won't have title, author, etc... info withthe book listing.

New User
contimali
0 Kudos

Ah thank you! I like to sort and view my books through Nook's file list and the OPF's icon showed up with a "?" unsupported type, which confused me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

contimali wrote:

Can I delete those JPG and OPF files? Are those files used by Nook to handle the EPUB?

You don't want to delete them.  

The .jpg is the book's cover art and the .opf is the metadata.  The book might (will?) "work" without the cover art, but I believe that if you delete the .opf, you won't have title, author, etc... info withthe book listing.

I don't think the nook uses the .jpg and .opf files for the book.  It's my understanding that if the metadata and cover art aren't embedded in the .epub file the nook won't include that data with the book.  I haven't actually tested this out though.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur is way more technically inclined than I, so I'll defer to her.  

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Just to confirm, in my tests, my N2E ignored the JPG and OPF files completely.

I had been messing with them to try and trick my Nook.  Editing or deleting them had no affect on the cover shown or information under book-details.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 694 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: