Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dmdcissp
0 Kudos

Question about my Nook

First off, let me just say that I love my Nook. I seem to be reading much more than I ever have without it. And that may be the reason for my question....

It seems that I have to recharge the battery after only a couple days of usage. Even with the wireless off, I do not even come close to the 10 days advertised.

I am using it 3 - 6 hours a day. Is this normal for battery usage or am I experiencing a problem with it.

How many hours of contant usage should I expect from the battery?

Thanks

Dave D.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Re: Question about my Nook

I have never got mine to last more than 4 days without being charged. I have notice the more I use it the longer the battery seems to last, but still nowhere close to ten days. It helps if you use it with airplane mode on. 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

If I had to guess from what I have read here and other forums.

For continuous reading would put the reading time at 12hrs. +/- 1hr.

I read between 2-3hrs per day and find every 5 or 6 days for a charge.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
dmdcissp
0 Kudos

Thanks guys!

At least now I know that I am in the ball park.........

Dave D.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@dmdcissp,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 285 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: