Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
RR618
0 Kudos

Re: eReader Unusable on Macbook Pro

So it's not just that I am computer stupid.  Not only does the ereader crash every time I try to use it, I can't get the software update to open on my Mac.  And it doesn't automatically update when I hit My Library.  The battery is also not good - it was 100% charged yesterday - I used the book for 30 minutes and 5% of the charge was gone - 3% has gone just in the time I've tried to update the software.  Here's the good part - I just got this nook 10 days ago.

It's not worth the trouble - I'm taking it back.  I wonder if the Kindle works better with a Mac.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

You don't open the software update when you download it to your Mac.  You drag it to your NOOK and let the NOOK open it.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you talking about the ereader for mac software or the nook software update?  Your message is confusing and unclear.

There is no desktop software that is used to "manage" your nook, unless you want to use calibre or ADE to sideload content.

The ereader for mac software has NOTHING to do with the nook.  It is strictly software that allows you (if it will open) to read your ebooks on your computer.

If you are talking about the nook software update, you don't open it at all.  You download it, save the .dat file to your desktop (right click or cntrl-click for the menu) and then drag that file to the nook drive (assuming you have plugged in your nook to your computer).  Once unplugged, the nook will install the software itself.  

Oh, just to be clear, I have a Mac and have NEVER had a problem vis-a-vis mac and nook.  I find that they work together very well, and in some cases, even more easily than a windows computer (i.e., ejecting the nook seems to be much simpler on the mac).

New User
Sergiow
0 Kudos

Why not just use the Kindle Reader? I have it on my iPad and also my Macbook Pro (snowleapord)

It works great on both. And what's nice is that both apps automatically sync all of your books and even where you left off reading. If I read from my iPad at night and pick up again the next day on my Macbook Pro at work, it takes me right to the page I left off on.

Contributor
popov
0 Kudos

That's not the problem. I downloaded the Nook app for Mac and it won't work after I installed it. When I clicked on it the first time, I got the license agreement, which I agreed to. Then, it just sat there displaying the Nook Barnes and Noble splash screen. I clicked on "Nook for Mac" in the upper left and executed "Update Software", however, it indicated that my app was up to date.

The 2nd time I clicked on the Nook for Mac, it showed the splash screen and did nothing. I waited 5 minutes and closed it.

The 3rd time I clicked on Nook for Mac, it popped up an authentication screen asking me for my Nook credentials, i.e. email and pw. Now it works. Makes you wonder if anyone in India bothered to actually test the installation procedure.

BTW, calling or emailing support is like contacting the inmates at an insane asylum. For example, email:

I have this version: <v> and my problem is <1> and <2> ... <very complete problem description>.

Reply: Here is a list of our most commonly encountered problems. If none of these apply, CALL US.

In other words, STOP BOTHERING US. We're too lazy to even read your email. GO AWAY.

Ok, so then you call them... except you can't get through... wait... wait. Try another day... wait wait wait. It's USELESS. You can't get through. Why? Since they are not responding w/meaningful answers via email, everyone calls them which is jamming their phone lines.

I have never seen such poor technical support and I've been a software engineer for 20 years. But then, Indian support is infamous anyway, isn't it?

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

I have varying success with the Mac reader.  Usually it locks up in some useless way.  I use Calibre on my Mac.

By the way, you are not on Lion are you?  I would expect that to have problems given that it is a new release.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

I've been using the nook app for most of the year on a 1st gen. unibody MacBook Pro with 10.6, and now with Lion ever since the first day 10.7 was available for download.  I have no problems - it installed fine, asked me for my account info, then sync'd my library.  Every since, it auto-syncs every time I open and close it, although it does not download the full epub file unless you click on the book cover and download it.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Good to hear.  (Not a Nook comment, but) I've been holding off on Lion to get a better feel of what has broken...

Contributor
Mike0301
0 Kudos

I am using both Calibre AND the Nook eReader on a MacPro running 10.7,  I've had no technical trouble using either program.  I converted from 10.5 to 10.7 seamlessly.  I had hoped the software for the ereader would be more useful than the N1E's software.  Alas, B&N uses the same low level of programming for the ereader as they do for the NOOK.  

I seriously doubt that an adult is in charge of overseeing the development side of the NOOK.  I've seen the complaints about N2E and they appear to be worse regarding shelves, upload / sideload issues etc.  Beside the moderators on these boards, WHO is paying attention?  

Nook, in concept, is a superior product because I can load other source material on here.  And this is what I'm doing now.   I have bought 5 of these machines for family members.  We all love to read.

But since seeing the remarks about iPad, I'm considering that route w/ the Kindle & Nook ereaders.

It is a dead solid certainty that B&N's Nook programming is far behind Amazon's Kindle.

The NOOK programmers, I firmly believe, do not read. Or if they do, only have ONE book on their machine.

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

Never could get the beta version of Nook for Mac to work (never would open a book to read) but was successful with Nook Study for Mac - works fine with syncing and reading. At least for me, Nook for Mac isn't ready.

MacBoy
Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

I've had extremely uneven success with the Nook for Mac "product."  I cured the most recent fit by deleting it from my Applications folder and reinstalling it.  (I did not do a "proper" uninstall - all the non-applications folder bits were left intact.)

New User
Vandy-
0 Kudos

Partial uninstall didn't work for me.  What did was right clicking the splash screen, chosing back, clicking again and chosing forward.  After another view of the splash screen it came right up.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 758 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: