Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Reading45215
0 Kudos

Read In Store? When does it start??

[ Edited ]

After one month of Nook ownership, and about 10 hopefull trips to my local (Kenwood, Cinti, Ohio) store, I've yet (but once for 15 mins) to experience the joys of Read In Store.

Each time I politely ask a Bookseller about the problem. The answer has become so familiar that it now sounds rehearsed, "They're having a network problem."

I ask if it's just the local store or if it's company-wide. "It's the whole network," is the usual response.

Usually at this time, someone will offer to call "Jason." I assume Jason is the behind-the-scenes techie guy with all the answers. Jason's response never varies, "They're having a network problem." By the way, my nook does see and connect to the in-store network.

I studied and compared the Nook vs the "other" eReader for over a month before my purchase. Read In Store, plus the proximity of real people in a real book store, were the major selling points.

Is this a common tale? Reading some of the other posts here sure points that way. The nook usually does pretty much everything else it's supposed to...so far.

B&N, you're losing sales because of this.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Re: Read In Store? When does it start??

Mine works in store (at least it has the few times I've been in the store to try).  The only thing that bothered me last time was that the two books I wanted to read weren't available to read in store.  Someone suggested checking on the B&N site before hand to see which ones you can use this with.  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
BNDavid
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for posting.  When you are actually in the store do you see the Shop icon as having an 'In-store' sash?  Are you able to browse with the browser.  I'm curious if your device is even seeing the store network.  The 'network being' down does occasionally happen, but I would guess that you are not afflicted with bad luck every time. :smileyhappy:  Also, when you are in the store your device is expected to automatically connect to the store WiFi.  If this is not the case then you must go into the WiFi app and select the store network if it is listed.

The 'Read In Store' is a great feature and I hope  you get this resolved quickly!  If you have further problems then I would call the Customer Service line for assistance and details.  The number is 1.800.843.2665 (1-800-THE-BOOK).

Best Regards,

David

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

It's always worked for me. Since they introduced it, of course.

In fact, I get a little annoyed when I'm in the store and touch "Reading Now" and it takes me to the last Read-In-Store that I did instead of the e-book I was reading. :smileytongue: Fortunately(?), that doesn't happen much because the stores near me have removed most of the chairs.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Fortunately(?), that doesn't happen much because the stores near me have removed most of the chairs.

You should bring your own.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Doug, the HB stores has a whole row of nice, uncomfortable wooden chairs over by the wall upstairs.  I sat there on Saturday and read for about an hour.  I don't remember if they were there before or not.

Reader
Reading45215
0 Kudos

Yes, the In-Store symbol appears and my nook does see and connect to the store network. I can also browse online and see the specials (including the 10% off any purchase...which no one has been able to get the computer system to accept...yet). 

I can locate and see the cover and description of most books I search for. But...when I select Read In Store, I get an "error contacting server try again later" message every time.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 84 members 756 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: