Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
jts3uga
0 Kudos

Reading screen black on new nook

I received my Feb. 12 order today, Feb. 5.  The good news is that the nook came earlier than expected.  Unfortunately it comes on the same day as the software update and 45 minute hold times are not very productive.  The reading screen is very dark (almost black) and has a white line down the left side.  There is no way to read anything.  I can tell the pages are changing and there are boxes to register, but not readable.

Is there any adjustment that I can make myself of with digital support over the phone?  Alternatively should I write this up to a defect and return the store and reorder?

Contributor
bleekbleek
0 Kudos

Re: Reading screen black on new nook

you should bring it to a Barnes & Noble for an exchange, if possible. Sounds like you have a bum unit.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

This is a defective unit.

You might see if a local store can help you out for a quick exchange.  Otherwise, you will just have to deal with customer service.

Sorry.

Contributor
SoftMelancholy
0 Kudos

Very well described.  I am having the same problem except that my "dead line" is on the right side of my screen.  When I turn pages, the screen briefly flashes white but then goes back to a dark screen.  You can barely read anything on the screen and you can see another page underlying the one that is selected to read.

I find it curious that both of us received our Nook yesterday and are experiencing the same problem following the software update. 

Contributor
SoftMelancholy
0 Kudos

Just got off the phone w/ customer service.  Sounds like the battery didn't charge properly.  He gave me some pointers to see if we could fix it, but we won't know for a few hours.  I would suggest to keep trying to get through to customer service.  I was on hold for 56 minutes before I got to someone, but at least I feel like I've made some progress.

Reader
jts3uga
0 Kudos

What were the pointers? Please post any success.  I am planning a trip to a bricks and mortar today or tomorrow.

Contributor
SoftMelancholy
0 Kudos

It ended up not working for me, which is why I wasn't back here earlier.  Sorry about that.  We ended up concluding that it probably wasn't really a problem with the battery. 

But,  I'll tell you what we did - maybe it will work for you.  He had me remove the back cover & the battery.  Then, he had me plug the nook into the wall which was supposed to cause a hard restart.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  Then he had me put the battery in while it was plugged in.  He had hoped that would work.  It didn't.  So, then we kept it plugged in for 3 hours hoping that would help.  It didn't.

I've ended up needing to replace the unit.  Hopefully you have better luck!  If it's any consolation, he told me that I was the only person that he knew of that they had talked to about this problem.  So you & I must just have bad luck I guess.

Best of luck!

Reader
jts3uga
0 Kudos

I tried some of these same things based on other posts with no luck.  Yesterday I returned at a store with no trouble and ordered another unit.

New User
MimiA
0 Kudos

Ordered my Nook Dec. 14, got it on January 26. Worked great, loved it. Two days ago it developed a thin white line down the center, a dark screen, and previous page or screen saver visible beneath current text. No drops or accidents of any kind with it. Called B & N after reading here about others having same problem, they immediately issued a "Rapid Replacement". Should have it in a few days--but what if it happens again???
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 228 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: