Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
DrDick
0 Kudos

Recharging using 240 volts

Can I recharge using 220-240 volt wall plug?  I'll be visiting Europe soon.

DrDick
Correspondent
Large_Marge

Re: Recharging using 240 volts

Yes. It is hard to read, but on the end of the charger you can find the rating.  100-240 volts.

You will need an adapter, of course.

New User
dbinaz

There are two basic requirements.  First, you will need a plug adapter, which allows you to plug a US style plug into the 240v outlet in Europe.  There are a couple of different types of plug used in Europe (UK is different than the rest of Europe), so be sure you have the right one for the country you are visiting.  Try a Radio Shack, a luggage store, or one of the stores at the airport before you leave to get the right adapter.  Some of the kits contain adapters for multiple countries.

Once you have that, you need to verify that your Nook charger can operate at 240v.  To do that, look at the label between the prongs of the plug on the adapter.  If it says "Input 100-240 VAC".  Mine says that and I've used it in the UK with no problems. 

If you are traveling with a laptop, you can also simply plug the Nook USB cord into the USB port on the laptop to charge it up.

Reader 2
DrDick
0 Kudos

Very helpful. Tnx.

DrDick
New User
patp1946VA
0 Kudos

I will be traveling to Italy and was wondering if I should also invest in a surge protector for the Nook Color. My Nook Color charging plug incates it can take 240v but I don't think it is also a surge protector

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Buying a surge protector would be a good idea.

patp1946VA wrote:

I will be traveling to Italy and was wondering if I should also invest in a surge protector for the Nook Color. My Nook Color charging plug incates it can take 240v but I don't think it is also a surge protector

Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

My best suggestion would be purchasing your adapter in Italy. In my own experience the adapters in the states don't always work as well as they advertise. We had that issue when we moved to Germany and had some adapters ahead of time and they all crapped out on us. They didn't screw up the electronics we used them on, but it was a pain having to buy new ones.

I don't think you'll need a surge protector though. I've never had a problem charging my nook with just an adapter in Germany.

Have fun in Italy!

Well behaved women rarely make history.
New User
Jim_Lewis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In Hong Kong, I didn't seem to have a problem in a hotel recharging but at an in-laws apartment, the Nook would flip back and forth between charging and not charging both with the LED light and the message displayed in Device Info.  Seemed to charge faster at 240 volts than when using 110 in States.  Might be all my imagination but even though the battery said charged to 80% to 100% did not seem to be as good a charge as via 110.  Had problems with Nook working and the problems seemed to resolve themselves when plugged in vs going on battery power.  Might be that I have a bad/not so great battery but (off topic) I wondered if there were housekeeping functions the Nook Simple Touch performs when on A/C power that it does not perform when on battery to save juice..

New User
SquirrelingDervish
0 Kudos

Can you charge on a foreign laptop? For example, if I bring my nook to Poland, can I leave it with my sister and her family???

If I download stuff on my nook here, will to replicate on her nook there???

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

SquirrelingDervish wrote:

Can you charge on a foreign laptop? For example, if I bring my nook to Poland, can I leave it with my sister and her family???

If the laptop accepts a standard USB cord and is powered I would think it would work just fine.  Also, as long as she has access to WiFi I believe whatever you purchase in the states will show up in Poland as long as the two devices are on the same account.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

SquirrelingDervish wrote:

If the laptop accepts a standard USB cord and is powered I would think it would work just fine.  Also, as long as she has access to WiFi I believe whatever you purchase in the states will show up in Poland as long as the two devices are on the same account.

This is how it's supposed to work, anyway.  I'd like to hear if this actually works once you try it, SquirrelingDervish.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nearly all digital devices run on direct current at modest voltages (12 volts or less). Most tower case computers convert the household alternating current to direct current in an metal enclosed power supply in the top of the case. Look for a metal panel with a fan grate around where the power cable connects. The rest of the components use direct current provided by that power supply. Notebook/laptop computers usually have an external "brick" power supply with a cable connecting the direct current to the computer.

USB connectors provide a standard voltage, but there might be limits on how much current devices can draw from the computer. With multiple devices the current they draw adds up. Back lit devices like the Nook Color and various Nook Tablets/HD/HD+ models will need more current to recharge (or even operate). Comparing electricity to water voltage is like pressure (or height of the storage tank) and current is like flow (gallons/liters per minute). Inadequate current capacity is the equivalent of a narrow tube/pipe. Of course the charger that comes with the device has adequate current capacity to charge the device, provided the charger is getting the alternating current voltage and frequency within the range specified by the charger's manufacturer.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 630 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: