Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jsatter
0 Kudos

Recovery of lost nook?

I recently left my nook in the back seat pocket of a plane (long flight, scrambled brain) and the airline says it was not turned in.  I changed my account password to prevent new purchases but am wondering if there is anything else that can be done.  For example, since the serial number was registered to my account, does B&N prevent another person from registering the nook to a new account?  If wifi is activated (it was in airplane mode when I left it), will B&N be able to locate the nook (a friend got his stolen cell phone back this way).  There doesn't seem to be a way to report lost or stolen nooks - you can only de-register them.  Just wondering.

thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Recovery of lost nook?

I doubt it can be located like the cell phone, that happens because of the cell phone gps...

You really need to call customer service on this one, let us know what they say.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

At least one other user posted that they could not register a nook because B&N records indicated that it had been previously registered.

So it might be slightly difficult for the new user to register it, but I suspect they will find a way, and you are just out of luck.

I would remove my default credit card so they could not purchase anything.  

I would call B&N CS to see what they say.  They may recommend leaving it registered so as to block any other user registering it, or they may suggest you deregister it from the web site so that it can't cost you any more.

I suspect your not likely to see that nook again unless the finder is a honest person and makes an effort to find you.

Frequent Contributor
jeffasaul
0 Kudos

In the future, you could use a service like Stuffback which you put a unique owner label on your product and if someone calls the number, they will be instructed to send it to Stuffbak.  Stuffbak will give them a cash reward and return the item to you.  I got this for my nook (got a small label that I put on the back panel) because I carry it with me to the mall when my wife is shopping and I fear losing it. 

The only probelm with this service is that you have to hope people are honest and will actually call the number rather than trying to keep the item for themselves.:smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

jsatter wrote:

I recently left my nook in the back seat pocket of a plane (long flight, scrambled brain) and the airline says it was not turned in.  I changed my account password to prevent new purchases but am wondering if there is anything else that can be done.  For example, since the serial number was registered to my account, does B&N prevent another person from registering the nook to a new account?  If wifi is activated (it was in airplane mode when I left it), will B&N be able to locate the nook (a friend got his stolen cell phone back this way).  There doesn't seem to be a way to report lost or stolen nooks - you can only de-register them.  Just wondering.

thanks!

I would do more than just change your account password, it doesn't ask me my password when I purchase books so if someone has stolen it they could be purchasing whatever they want.    I would at the very least remove your CC from your account, at least until you contact B&N customer service and ask them what steps they advice you to take from there.

Linda

Contributor
jsatter
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone.  Just off the phone with B&N support. They said changing your account password is sufficient to protect your credit card.  The nook will prompt the user for the new password before any purchase can be made.  (You only have to enter the password once and the nook remembers it unless you change it again.)  Tech support de-activated the SIM card so the lost nook can no longer access 3G network either.  It can still use wifi in B&N stores and preview books but cannot make purchases to a new account unless the device is registered.  If the finder tries to register the nook online, they "should" get an error message.  If the finder calls B&N to register the nook, the agent "should" see an alert that says this nook was lost or stolen.  The tech support guy was very honest and said he wasn't sure if that system would really work or not.  He said they haven't really tested it out yet since nook is new and there haven't been too many reports of lost or stolen nooks.  I asked him what B&N would do if an honest person showed showed up in a store to hand in a found nook.  He said he didn't know what would happen but hoped the store employee would be motivated to help locate the owner.  It would be interesting to see how Amazon manages lost Kindle's since they have been around longer.  Oh well.  I think B&N handled it ok.  My account is safe with little fuss.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Good Info jsatter.

This thread prompted me to add a contact in the nook's contacts named "Reward for Return of this Nook" with my email address.

I think i'll add a sticker to the back to that effect as well.  

Contributor
BadWine

The troubleshoot FAQ says:

What happens if I lose my device or someone steals it?  

Call Customer Service toll-free at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) to unregister the device from your account.

Chris Rippel

New User
tamrich
0 Kudos

I left mine on a plane today...glad to know I am not the only one that rushes off a plane!  Thanks for the help, I deleted my credit card just now and will call customer service tomorrow.  For other users, beware!  The seat pocket in front of you is not the place for your Nook!

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

:smileysad:  Hopefully it will turn up.  This one got all of us to thinking a bit.  Even a pdf file on my documents titled "If I am found" and then some basic contact info on the pdf might work. 

My students are constantly leaving usb drives in computers, but one of the first things we have them do is create a file "I belong to.....".

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

I put my phone number as part of my nook's name.

New User
nhudson
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting info on what to do if you leave your nook on the plane. I just did the same thing and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one. I've done everything to include trace where the plane went next, calling all those airports to leave my contact info. Hopefully it'll turn up. I've changed my account password and removed credit card number as well. I sent an email to B&N customer service and will follow up with a phone call. Has anyone recovered theirs yet?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

nhudson wrote:

I sent an email to B&N customer service and will follow up with a phone call.

Never use email for urgent matters. B&N's email Customer Service is for routine inquiries and has a 48-hour response window.

Call them. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support. B&N's phone support operation is one of the best I've worked with in many years.

Reader
KimballSK
0 Kudos

I couldn't agree more. I just left mine in the pocket on a plane and am heartbroken. Thanks for all of the great advice on this thread. I was feeling lost in the world. I feel a little better now knowing someone can't go on a shopping spree since I changed my password and deleted my credit card info.

I do have a password just to access my Nook (to keep my nephew from going crazy on it). I hope this might be enough to deter a morally ambiguous person from keeping it. Nevertheless, if they do get past that, it's good to know they won't be able to buy anything and hopefully not even re-register it.

Sad..So sad...

New User
Sventare
0 Kudos

It was great to read all the advice on this; thanks to everyone who posted!

I left my Nook in the seat pocket on a flight yesterday. I am giving it a few days to see whether anyone hands it in, but after that I will call B&N and have the wifi deactivated.

I am prompted for my password every time I purchase a new book (sadly, I had deactivated the setting that makes it so that you can't start it up without the password) so I'm not too worried about that someone will buy more books from it, but I will change my password just in case.

I have some non-B&N purchases on it, so I am glad that I happened to have backed it up just a few days ago.

I am really upset at losing it. I am just hoping that the person who found it was honest enough to turn it in.

New User
Foofoo823
0 Kudos

I thought I was the only one super attached to my nook and so heart broken.  I guess I am not alone!  I can't remember whether I left mine on the plane or in the terminal but the point is...I lost it :smileysad:  Just called the two airports to report it missing.  Crossing my fingers and hoping to get a call back within the next 10 days! 

I also deleted my CC info from my account and changed my password to be on the safe side. 

*I miss my nook* :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:

Reader 2
doogie66
0 Kudos

I came across this page because I really am surprised that Barnes and Noble has offered no mechanism WITHIN the Nook itself to make your contact information available if a stranger finds your Nook.  I just got a Nook Simple Touch, and was traveling with it the other day.  It occurred to me that I'd hate to lose it, and if I did, would a casual stranger finding the thing be able to figure out how to pull my email address off it?  Probably not.

I came up with a reasonably good solution, but one that unformately requires a little bit of work on your part.  I created a Microsoft Powerpoint slide that has the information I want, and then coverted that from Powerpoint to a JPG file (edited, then "save as" and choose a JPG file as the format).  I then had to store that file on my Nook as a Screensaver, which I did by connecting the Nook to my computer, making a folder within the "Screensavers" folder of my Nook that's called "Return Me screensaver".  Then, when you are traveling, make this one your screensaver.  Here's an image of what it looks like, with blanks for your email address, your phone number, and your name.  (It looks non-distorted on my nook, displays funny here...)Return Me ScreensaverYou're welcome to download the PPT.  Hope this is useful of other Nook users...It would be great if B&N coded something like this DIRECTLY into the firmware... but I guess they sell more Nooks if we lose ours, right?  Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15397556/return_me_to_personalize.ppt

New User
racks
0 Kudos

Ok.. at least I'm not the only one that have done this. And I only left it for like 5 minutes. Got off the plane walked through the exit gate to baggage claim. Then I remembered, but of course couldn't re-enter. So went to the lost baggage claim area. They called for a check on the plane and it was gone. People are so quick and dishonest it scares me. i whole heartedly believe in karma. So the person will get their just due soon enough.  sigh...

-Racks

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Did you check back a second time to see if your reader had been turned in? If an honest person found it there might be a few hours or even a day or two before it showing up in any sort of lost property system that could be checked from a remote point like the baggage claim desk.

New User
racks
0 Kudos

I left my name and number and address and email. They made me fill out a slip for lost property and said that if someone turns it in, they will contact me... so far nothing...

I do hope someone does return it. It's not the cost of it that matters. It's that I do alot of tinkering with it for the nook community myself over on XDA. And without one, i'm kinda limited. Ah well. Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Racks

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 292 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: