Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MacLeod1518
0 Kudos

Re: Registering your nook

thank you the new up date allowed me to register my nook.  the only trouble now is that i can purchase new books anywhere i can get a wifi connection. lol

Frequent Contributor
lparsons21
0 Kudos

My Nook registered just fine but if I go to my account and select 'my Nook' it doesn't show anything.  Yet I can buy books and do everything I need to do it seems.

New User
MercyMI
0 Kudos

I am having a problem with my Nook.  I've had it since April.  I had no problem with it up until now.  It registered fine, shows as being register on my B&N account, but this morning I started it up and it's telling me I need to register it.  All the books I have purchased that are under the B&N Library cannot be viewed, which makes highly ticked off because I bought quite a few of them over the last few months.

I called customer service.  The guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about.  He kept asking me to make sure my password was right.  He even had me change my password, which didn't do anything, but that's about all he could offer me.  He didn't even wait to see if the password change worked.  He went on his merry way, as if he knew it would and it didn't.  ]=<

My wifi spot is fine.  I live around the Detroit area, so there shouldn't be a problem with connectivity, which is the error that I keep receiving.  I'm receiving error c7851...whatever that means, but I'm sure it's to do with connectivity, since it keeps telling me to confirm my network connection.

Any advice?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ MerciMI,

Are you receiving that error in multiple areas?  Is there a B&N nearby where you can try?

Sometimes you get a knowledgeable CS person, sometimes not.  It may be worth your while to try again, making sure to choose option 2 -

Customer Service 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

Contributor
genie23
0 Kudos

I have a question about registering a nook.

I live outside of the US and planning to buy a nook. I called customer service today to confirm if all other features will work aside from downloading ebooks directly from BN, the rep said yes but I was told that I need to get a US IP address for WI-FI connection to be able to register nook.

Anyone here tried to register nook internationally?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@genie23,

You do need a US IP address for WiFi connection to be able to register your NOOK.  If you have a friend/family member in the U.S.  you can either send your NOOK to them and have it registered that way (or if you are visiting the U.S.)

Once it is registered, you don't have to do it again and your Wi-Fi® connectivity is possible globally. I

Also, your NOOK can connect to B&N Fast & Free Wireless networks in the United States. These networks are AT&T cellular data networks that are widely available. Your NOOK cannot connect to other cellular data networks in the United States. It cannot connect to any international cellular data networks, including those in Canada and Mexico.

New User
REDDAM
0 Kudos

New User
newleader
0 Kudos

I am attempting to register my nook.  I have been trying all day!  It keeps giving me error messages.

newleader

Reader 2
sherrypg
0 Kudos

Same here, but I never called support. I called them for another problem and was on the phone with a woman who barely spoke English, put me on hold about six times and then gave me a phone number to call. After I hung up, I realized it was the customer service number I had just been talking to for the last hour.

New User
Shamanistic
0 Kudos

I just bought a used Nook 3g to give to my grandmother.  When I attempt to register it it says "Re-Registering please unregister first...etc."  I called customer service, they had me fallback to factory settings 4 times.  I kept telling them their servers were associating the device with the old owner and I needed them to clear that on their system so it would accept my new registration.  They refused to help (got very rude, saying since I didn't buy it from them they didn't have to help).   Finally my 4th customer service guy offered to replace the device... however only with a Nook WiFi, they have no 3gs available.  I explained that my Grandmother doesn't have wifi or even internet at home so we needed the 3g.  He dismissed me and said fine try calling back in a week to see if we get any in.

The device seems like if it gets working it would be very neat.  However the BN customer service is for crap.   I'm wishing I'd bought a kindle for her now.  Instead it appears I've got a 3 pound paper weight on my hands...

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Shamanistic wrote:

I just bought a used Nook 3g to give to my grandmother.  When I attempt to register it it says "Re-Registering please unregister first...etc."  I called customer service, they had me fallback to factory settings 4 times.  I kept telling them their servers were associating the device with the old owner and I needed them to clear that on their system so it would accept my new registration.  They refused to help (got very rude, saying since I didn't buy it from them they didn't have to help).   Finally my 4th customer service guy offered to replace the device... however only with a Nook WiFi, they have no 3gs available.  I explained that my Grandmother doesn't have wifi or even internet at home so we needed the 3g.  He dismissed me and said fine try calling back in a week to see if we get any in.

The device seems like if it gets working it would be very neat.  However the BN customer service is for crap.   I'm wishing I'd bought a kindle for her now.  Instead it appears I've got a 3 pound paper weight on my hands...

This has nothing to do with the quality of B&N support.

You need to contact the person you bought the NOOK from. They will need to tell B&N to unregister the device.

Only the registered owner of the NOOK is allowed to unregister it.

This prevents someone from registering a stolen NOOK.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 578 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: