Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Registering your nook

Just wanted to bounce in here to confirm that we have people looking at the registering-over-Wi-Fi issue.

I don't have answers yet, but will report in as soon as I do.

New User
Leaves
0 Kudos

Thought this might be my problem, but entered the wifi network password on my nook and it still can't connect!

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Leaves, do yourself a favor and sideload some books so you can at least be reading from your nook rather than be so frustrated.  Really, it's so simple to do .....

Frequent Contributor
my4luvbugzmissing1angel
0 Kudos

vinnyc wrote:

I noticed in an above reply that CS is telling people that they can't register via wifi? This is incorrect--I registered via my wifi network the first day I had my nook.

yes but for some reason now it's not working for A LOT of people! I've talked to 3 different cs reps and they have had me do all of the same things and have confirmed that I have connectivity yet it won't register!

Contributor
loves2readPJ
0 Kudos

I am running out of ways to get registered.  i wonder about the little bars that tell you if you are receiving a signal.  in the instructions it shows that they are to the left of the battery thing  i don't have  any bars at all on my nook  could that be my problem???

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

I can confirm the issue with registering over wifi.

There is no ATT in my area and I have rowking wifi connection - BN content is visible and searchable on my nook.

I also have no issues with my account - the credit card is regiestered and some ebooks have been purchased with this card, then downloaded via USB and unblocked on my nook.

Fimrware ver 1.1.1

Canot register for several days. Possiible reasons:

1) Wifi connection is ALWAYS droppped or disregarded when you try to register your nook

2) There is misdetection of ATT - wifi connection is droppped or disregarded when you try to register your nook and you are in the area covered by other ATT-like cellurar provider.

3) Probably it is ATT roaming issue - ATT has many roaming agreements with other prividers that work great for cellphones but not that great for the nook. Nook think it is in the ATT area but it is not.

4) BN has IP filters allowing to register from certaing IP ranges only (presumably based on country it exclusively belongs to). If some Inernet providers have ranges that cover several countries like USA + Canada + something else they migh not be included into BN whitelists of IP ranges allowed for registration

5) It a local routing issue. The router in your house might need some port-forwarding adjustments before the nook can register thorugh your router. While ordinary internet connections migh work over your wifi on your nook, the registration process might involve  non-standard response from the BN site using non-standard port that cannot go back to your nook without changes in your router settings.

Which one is true.

I am wondering if anyone is able to re-register their nook through wifi, if ATT sim-card is removed.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

furoley (and all),

it is very unlikely you are going to solve this by some miracle cure you're all looking for. 

there's a problem, they're trying to fix it, and why not sideload books from your PC for now (as has been mentioned a bazillion times by myself and others) rather than flail away expecting an immediate solution?  you could be reading your books rather than being frustrated.

just my 2 cents.

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

Steve,

"We are trying to fix it" is a standard answer that a rep can give you. They don't actually know that much about what is being worked on and what is next on the list to do. That answer doesn't necessarily mean that BN team is  actaully working on this very issue.

It doesn't actually mean they have recognized that there is a problem at all...

I got that impression from Administrator's response there, as he asked us to confirm that there are some (!) people who cannot register their nook over wifi. After all these complains and topics about inability to register the nook, after  hundred of thousands of frustrated users were given the standard "We are trying to fix it", the BN team is actually not sure if there is a problem at all!

I spent more than two hours today on the phone and was NOT able to speak to the digital support team. The are overwelmed with calls. The waiting time was more than 1.5 hours

Wouldn't it be a bit strange to hear "Are you sure there is a problem? Can anyone confirm it please?"

I am not complaining, but answering that very strange question - YES!!! THERE IS A PROBLEM! And here it is!

That is all that I can do in the situation like this.

I suppose that everybody who have the same problem should do the same just to be heard.

In general, I am very dissapointed in how BN reacted to the problem. No official news, no press-releases, no apologies, not a single publically released word that they know about the problem and they are trying to fix it.

All that we have is a rumor we share "I heard that yesterday someone spoke to the support team and was told that the problem is being worked on ...".

It is very interesting info when you have nothing.

It is just not normal.

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

Unable to register my nook as well.  :smileysad:

Got mine on Christmas eve day... have been trying to register ever since.  I thought that maybe it was my Wi-Fi connection in my home, even though I was able to browse shopping.

Took my nook to the local B&N on Sunday, connected there with no problems.  Was prompted with the in-store pop-up about shopping, etc....   Still unable to register.   Spoke to customer service there at the desk.  We popped the battery and reset the device... still no go.  Called customer service on their phone and waited for about 45 mins before I gave up and went home.

I downloaded and manually installed the 1.1.1 update, because the reps at the store said that they thought it had to be updated to be able to register.  Still unable to register.

Called customer support last night.  Waited on hold for 1:20 mins and spoke to a CS rep in the Digital help department.  I was on the phone with her for all of 3 mins, and this is the answer that I got... which I'm pretty sure is BS.

"We sent out 22,000 nooks over the holidays and they are all trying to register, our servers are 'freaking out'... just keep trying over the next few days and call back if it's still not working."

I'm a very patient person... but seriously, wtf is going on here?

Contributor
loves2readPJ
0 Kudos

as i am STILL try to register my Nook, i notice that people refer to the "bars"  i do not have any bars on the top of my screen, no bars to either get black or white  am i suppose to have them  i guess they tell you the strength of your signal  does this mean i have no signal???  i am ready to toss this thing into the nearest snowbank but will refrain for a while

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

There are the Wi-Fi bars, and there are the 3g bars.

The 3g bars look like your typical, cellphone connection bars.  Progressively larger towers in a row.

The Wi-Fi bars are different... they look like progressively larger half circle bars stacked on top of each other.

I've noticed that when I try to register my nook... the 3g bars temporarily pop up.  They are all greyed out since I live in an area with virtually no AT&T 3g coverage.  AT&T coverage is total garbage.

It's as if my nook is attempting to register via 3g connection and failing... and not even attempting the Wi-Fi.

Frequent Contributor
my4luvbugzmissing1angel
0 Kudos

loves2readPJ wrote:

as i am STILL try to register my Nook, i notice that people refer to the "bars"  i do not have any bars on the top of my screen, no bars to either get black or white  am i suppose to have them  i guess they tell you the strength of your signal  does this mean i have no signal???  i am ready to toss this thing into the nearest snowbank but will refrain for a while

If you have no bars then no. you don't have a 3G connection OR a wifi connection and so therefore you will not be able to register.

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

I also tried to register with ATT sim card removed with sole wifi connection (to address possible ATT roaming issues).

It didn' work either.

Still, I am not able to register my nook.

It looks like BN is giving us inconsistent answers:

- "We know about this poblem we are trying to solve it"

- "People who cannot register just didn setup their credit card on their account"

- "There is no problem with registration over wifi - we just sent out too many nooks and they are all trying to register at the same time"

- "Are you sure there is a problem? Can anyone else (on this board) confirm they cannot register over wifi?"

WTF guys?

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've posted this before (on the 25th). Does anybody who has not been able to register have a special character (some symbol) in their B and N password? If you do, try changing your BN password online to something without special characters (just alphanumeric) and see if that works. It did the trick for me after 5-10 failed attempts on Christmas.

(I'm not sure if I had set up Wifi before or after I successfully registered to know if it may be related to the Wifi bug.)

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

I have no special characters in my password or name.

It is not a reason for me.

I am wondering how long we will be guessing what is going on?

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

furoley (and others discussing this issue today), please see the very first comment on this thread.

We are aware of the Wi-Fi registration issue, and are working on it. Some people can register over their Wi-Fi; others can't. The engineers are trying to figure out what is going on. We're sorry about the inconvenience, and will update when we have more details.

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

Doc_Nukem,

If you wanna help you could report the results of following

1. Switch off the nook, remove the ATT SIM card (easily accessible, remember the position of the card).

2. Switch on and reset to default factory settings (now you have to register again)

3. Setup and test your wifi connection

4. Try to register your nook again (now over wifi only for sure).

If you cannot resgister we all DO have this issue - it cannot register over wifi in general

If you can register over wifi, it could be something else - BN's ip range filtering, users' router settings etc.

5. Switch off the nook

6. Put the SIM card back (no need to re-reset or re-register again)

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

Thanks Kevin.

I suppose that is the official statement reflecting the real situation.

We should be just ingoring other than that responses from the digital support team people are still getiing.

New User
DrLauraforExecs
0 Kudos

I got it to work!  It was not finding my home wi-fi, and then it just froze up.  Thank you to the person who suggested I re-boot.  I did, and then I drove down the hill until I got to an AT&T service area and then tried registering.  It worked.  (I had done all the other suggestions on this board.)  When I returned home, I went to "Wi-Fi" and then told it to "add wi-fi hotspot."  Input the SSID, security code and password, and it's now working with my home wi-fi.  Not sure if this will work for all -- I may have just been lucky -- but thought I'd pass it along. 

Frequent Contributor
my4luvbugzmissing1angel
0 Kudos

DrLauraforExecs wrote:

I got it to work!  It was not finding my home wi-fi, and then it just froze up.  Thank you to the person who suggested I re-boot.  I did, and then I drove down the hill until I got to an AT&T service area and then tried registering.  It worked.  (I had done all the other suggestions on this board.)  When I returned home, I went to "Wi-Fi" and then told it to "add wi-fi hotspot."  Input the SSID, security code and password, and it's now working with my home wi-fi.  Not sure if this will work for all -- I may have just been lucky -- but thought I'd pass it along. 

So did you totally restore the system or just hold the power button and reset it that way? My problem is driving to my closest 3g network is 1.5 hours away! :smileysad:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 1,132 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: