Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Re: Registering your nook

furoley,

Responding to your reply to me from yesterday morning:

Yes, "we are trying to fix it" can be a standard answer that a rep can give you, however having watched Kevin (and participated myself) trying to help people with this issue on Christmas day, and the next day, and the next day, etc, and seeing and reading his followup with various bits of feedback over the course of those several holiday days, somehow I think the response you're getting from him is not a pat BS answer.

Secondly, I wasn't accusing anyone of complaining and I apologize if you took it that way.  I've responded to quite a number of people having problems and have virtually always said "I don't blame you for being upset".

My point was that rather than spending hours waiting on a phone for an answer that is not going to come, and rather than spending other numbers of hours trying one thing after another (since dozens of others have tried everything under the sun), why not download books from other sources and enjoy your Nook sooner, rather than later?

They are aware of the problem, they are trying to fix it, and no doubt Kevin will post the availability of the solution when it is, indeed, available.  It is not true that all you have is a rumor.  Kevin has been updating us with the official status all along.

Contributor
loves2readPJ
0 Kudos

i STILL CAN'T REGISTER, BUT i AM DOING WHAT YOU SAID==i'M DOWNLOADING BOOKS THRU THE COMPUTER AND ENJOYING MY nOOK.  wHEN YOU GET THE PROBLEM SOLVED i'LL TRY REGISTERING AGAIN!!

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

All,

Kevin (the moderator of this board) has been updating the status of the issue along with some of the known things to try in the first message on the board.   The fact is, at the present time, some people are having trouble registering via wifi (even while others are successful) and they don't yet know why.  I would check that first message periodically for updates.

bdw
Reader 2
bdw
0 Kudos

Definately!!!!  I purchased several E-books from B&N and downloaded them directly to my nook drive..I was able to happily read for a few days before I finally got it to register...YEA!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Here are some other sources of eBooks until (and even after) you get registered with B&N, including the following:

Free sites like:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

http://books.google.com/ 

http://www.free-ebooks.net/ (I think these are just HTML but can be converted to ePub using Calibre)

and pay sites like:

http://www.ereader.com/

http://www.ebook.com/

http://www.fictionwise.com/

and quite a few others.  You can also borrow books from OverDrive if you have a library card associated with them.

bdw
Reader 2
bdw
0 Kudos

I hadn't even considered my Overdrive acct, thanks Steve!!:smileyvery-happy:  I'm even happier with the nook now that its registered because my local wifi is no problem whatsoever when shopping or purchasing, however, my clock still isn't right...any ideas?

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

I'm really surprised at how very upset some are that they are unable to register their nooks.  Everyone is aware that you can download ebooks from the B&N ebook store (and other sources) to their computer and then transfer them to their nook via USB, right?  Of course, it's more convenient to be able to get ebooks directly on the device, but I'm surprised that some are actually considering returning the device for this issue alone.  I suppose it comes down to why you chose nook over other ereaders.

At any rate, B&N is very strongly motivated to resolve this issue.  Why?  Because the main advantage of a registered nook is that it's much easier to buy ebooks from B&N.  Whereas, on an unregistered nook, it's just as easy to buy your books elsewhere as it is to buy from B&N.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If the only solution for now for some is to register via an AT&T wireless connection, be aware that nook can connect to the slower EDGE and GPRS data networks as well as 3G.  So perhaps getting a wireless signal is closer than you might think?  AT&T claims (take that with at least a grain of salt) that their various data networks cover 97% of the U.S. population.

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

Just to reply to a few posts that I've seen...

I can't register in the store, and others are unable to as well.  If you were able to, kudos.

I live in an AT&T 2G edge area and still am unable to register.

Have tried B&N Wi-FI, home Wi-Fi and a friends Wi-Fi

I tried pre-1.1.1 update, reset to factory settings, and tried since updating to 1.1.1 (multiple times, day and night at each version, /sigh)

I didn't know that I could download books purchased from the B&N store to my computer and then side-load them to my nook.  Seems like that would circumvent the whole DRM thing, but I'll look into it and if it's possible... the whole registration thing won't even be that big a deal.

I'm guessing that the we won't have any good news on this till after Jan 4th.  I'd think that most of the B&N devs are on holiday after pushing out the 1.1.1 update.

New User
sassygirl1968
0 Kudos

Wow, I feel bad for those of you having such issues.  While I had a delay, and my Nook squeeked into my hands on Dec. 24 after delays, I did not have issues registering.  I did however, register it after first sync-ing the Nook with my wireless router.  Perhaps those of you who are using the broadband network could try that and see how it works?  Just a suggestion. 

I also have been using my account through the computer and my ipod touch a few weeks before my Nook arrived.  I downloaded a few books to my computer and Ipod touch, and they work great! 

Corin

Reader 2
smoopme
0 Kudos

I have also been having trouble registering my nook.  My friend just called me.  They had trouble with 2 of their 4 nooks.  They were contacted by customer service and offered new nooks.  Can I have someone contact me to get mine working?  Thanks.

Reader 2
smoopme
0 Kudos

Also been there, done that, doesn't work.

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

Steve I am not demanding anything any more, not insisting on anything any longer.

I am just depressed - I now have a clear understanding how serious this issue is.

It is a hardware bug.

It is very unlikely they will be able to fix it with just a firmware upgrade. So I stopped hoping and looking forward to the possible fix.

We all wanted this much better device for a quite low price, given all its claimed advancements.

But we have to learn something - you get exactly what you paid for. Simple, stupid.

PS. I am not going to return it.

It is still functional if we forget about the inconvenience and weird time settings...

But it is like having a scratch on you new Ferrari.

It still is functional - you can drive it still....

Contributor
Pym93
0 Kudos

My new nook is also not letting me register from my home wifi, though I still can get the Daily. I'll keep an eye on this forum for news!

Also, big thanks to Kevin for his diligence. New products are hell on the front lines. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

Here is the list of issues that I hae with my nook.

1. It cannot register via wifi meaning you cannot register it at all since there is no ATT

2. Weird time - on only is it off, but also seem stopping from time to time. There is no way to adjust it.

3. It doesn't keep the point where you are reading - Read book A, check book B and reopen book A and you will lose the point where you were reading. "Goto the furthest reading point" doesn't work either

4. The battery seems quickly discharging even in sleeping mode - like 25%-30% per day

5. When battery is  about 20% or lower, the nook starts doing strange things. For instane, any button pressed can kick you off to the main menu, or if you are typing somehting it can do the same at random. I double checked that effect to be sure I am pressing wrong buttons ocassionally.

I have not even tried to puschase and download the books via the nook - it doesn't allow you to download even a free stuff if you are not registered. So I am wondering how many problems I would have there

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

furoley wrote:

Steve I am not demanding anything any more, not insisting on anything any longer.

I am just depressed - I now have a clear understanding how serious this issue is.

It is a hardware bug.

It is very unlikely they will be able to fix it with just a firmware upgrade. So I stopped hoping and looking forward to the possible fix.

Just curious if B&N has stated this is officially a Nook hardware bug? 

Contributor
stradavarius
0 Kudos

I am in the FEB01 shipping group, so I don't have my nook yet, but having lived overseas and dealt with other media sites (Hulu, Playstation, Netflix streaming, etc etc) that restrict purchases/use to the US, my guess is that registration requires an AT&T 3G connection, which is used to verify that you are in the states.  Maybe you are still registering via wi-fi, but it also checks your 3G connection as part of the verification process.  it seems from reading the thread that the majority of the people with wi-fi registration issues live in rural areas w/o 3G.  Those that succeeded in their efforts to register via wi-fi may be in 3G range or using B&N's wi-fi (another great way to verify location).  Other sites tend to use your IP address or credit card billing address to verify your location, but there are ways around both of those. 

I apologize if this possibility was already given.  I have only made it through 5-6 pages of comments so far.

Contributor
mkhSD
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue.  Can't get the thing registered.  I went to the B&N store, and had a manager install the upgrade, and still could not even register in the store.  I'm VERY disappointed in the lack of support from B&N.  I was on hold with 1 1/2 hours and the tech support guy said it was because we were not in a good ATT 3G area.  It should have worked in the store though, right? If it isn't going to work in my city due to ATT 3G issues, why are they displaying it and promoting it in our local B&N!   If anyone has a solution, aside from sending the stupid thing back... Let me know 

Contributor
mkhSD
0 Kudos

I tried that and put in my network password, and it still would not let me register

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

furoley,

Hey, I seriously do feel for your disappointment and frustration.  But I will say it is highly unlikely this is a hardware issue, since there are so many with this issue who are driving to within ATT range, registering, and driving home to successfully use their wifi for everything else.  Hardware issues wouldn't likely just get in the way of registration.  The people who found two of their nooks would register and two would not may have had other issues identified during the support calls that lead to returning those two.  I'll believe it's a general hardware issue if Kevin comes back with that answer, but not before.

I and others have been able to register via wifi, though I like the suggestion that perhaps it might be checking 3G to verify location even if connected via wifi during the registration process, though if so it seems B&N would know that and it would have floated to the surface out here in the real world by now.   

It isn't true that you can't sideload the free books, and it certainly isn't true that you can't download from the other sites I posted.

It is true that your time will be off if you are not within ATT range.  I agree there ought to be a way to set it manually.

The issues you're describing with not returning to last read point only occur with certain books, not others, and only when you turn it off or synch up with USB.  I realize this will be an even bigger issue for anyone unregistered who is sideloading books.  Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this issue as well in a near-term update. 

You say you're losing 25-30% batter per day in sleep mode, but do you have airplane mode turned on?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 971 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: