Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Registering your nook

mkhSD wrote:

I received my replacement Nook... Took it to the B&N store to register, and still wont register.  We are not in an ATT 3 G area, and it looks like registering at a store wont work if your city is not in a 3 G area.

Oh, forgot to say...

You don't need 3G you just need True AT&T, or any solid (not slashed) blue on this map:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data&lat=43.85120291112661&lon=-101.04660454101563...

So If SD in your sig means south dakota, look for solid blue and drive there.

Or wait for the update, which should come soon.

Reader 2
SDnookOwner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

***PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING YOUR NOOK****

Alright, I live in eastern SD and received my nook just in time for Christmas.  Unfortunately, like a lot of others posting in this thread, I could not get my nook to register, even at the B&N store in Sioux Falls, SD. 

Before someone assumes that I had a setting that was incorrect...........YES, I did confirm the following and even had B&N technical support hold my hand through every process and every check:

-airplane mode "off"

-active credit card on file

-active e-mail address on file

-used correct password

-software V1.1 loaded to nook

-etc, etc, etc

Between four different conversations, I spent approx. 5 hours, not including being on hold, with the B&N technical support crew.  I couldn't get a straight answer from them regarding what the issue could be.  I was told to wait for a patch or software update, the design team is looking into it, yadda-yadda-yadda.  After getting tired of making calls from home and not getting action, I spent another 2 hours at the B&N store  in SF SD while the in-store CS rep called B&N technical support.  All attempts to get the nook to register failed.  The end result, B&N offered to replace my nook.  Suprisingly, I actually received my replacement in less than 1 week.

Once I received my replacement nook, I took it into the SF, SD B&N hoping that it would register.  I wasn't going to hold my breath since this area does not have 3G.  Amazingly, the nook registered on the first try!!!  So basically, I had a defective nook that would have never registered, EVER. 

Now, my gripe with those on this forum who stated "Is it really an issue?  You can sideload books to the nook, it's not a problem. They will have a software update soon."  I am curious if these same people making these statements are the same people who got their nook to register.  Would they be as patient and passive if it was their nook that would not register?  What would have happened if I had waited for this software update?  Would I have seen one?  Would they replace my nook three months from now when I still wouldn't be able to register?  When I purchase a product, I expect it to work 100%, not 99%. 

Look at it in another situation.  When driving, I do not listen to the radio very much, but it's nice to have the option.  I would not be satisfied if I purchased a new vehicle that had a radio that did not work, and the salesman told me it's not an issue since I can listen to CDs or MP3s.

All in all, I am happy with my nook.  BUT, I think the way that B&N is handling this issue is completely inappropriate.  My question for B&N is; For those that cannot register their nook, how is it possible for them to confirm if it is their nook (like my situation) or a 3G connectivity issue?  Like I said, the area that I registered is not 3G.

Frequent Contributor
RebeccaJ
0 Kudos

Hum, well I went to the work of getting the picture of the Sioux Falls AT&T map, but alas can not get it to load as a picture here.

But anyway SDnookOwner I to am very very interested in a response from B&N to this issue. I find it even more interesting because Sioux Falls shows as medium blue without stripes in the coverage map, so they should be part of the EDGE network, but not a partner edge......Which would suggest that registration is linked to the Data Connection pass.

It is even more interesting that your first nook would not register at all which as you point out is an obvious nook issue. So many people who can not register will not know which issue they are having unless they wish to take their unregistered nooks no a drive.

So B&N would appear to have 2 very major issues, or at least major issues if you live in the Midwest and expected a fully functional nook. Which I completely agree with you about the expectations of ordering a product and having at least the same features as people in other parts of the country.Yes I lived with sideloading, but was still sad not to be able to register until I went for a long drive.

Or maybe I just feel abused since AT&T and B&N are both ignoring the less densely populated areas I call home.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I'm guessing this is really an AT&T issue.

I suspect that the sim cards supplied to B&N by AT&T did not include partner Edge in the list of acceptable networks. 

Replacement nooks carry later sim cards.

Older sim cards and acceptable network lists,  can be updated with an OTA update.  But you can't update OTA if you can't get on the network in the first place, so catch 22.

Rather than send a sim card replacement B&N sends a whole replacement nook. 

Reader 2
SDnookOwner
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

I'm guessing this is really an AT&T issue.

I suspect that the sim cards supplied to B&N by AT&T did not include partner Edge in the list of acceptable networks. 

Replacement nooks carry later sim cards.

Older sim cards and acceptable network lists,  can be updated with an OTA update.  But you can't update OTA if you can't get on the network in the first place, so catch 22.

Rather than send a sim card replacement B&N sends a whole replacement nook. 

icebike, you state that the replacement nooks have later sim cards.  I appreciate the information.  BUT, here is my confusion..........you apparently have information that B&N customer service does not have, or are reluctant to share with those who are having problems registering their nooks.  Please note that if there has been an official response released from B&N, I have not seen it.  So, are we to trust internet keyboard warriors (declare me one of them I guess), or those at B&N technical support?  I do not trust either at this point since it is mainly speculation on these boards unless we see official responses from B&N.  Do others chance waiting for a patch or software update, or try to get a replacement nook like I did?  Will B&N offer them a replacement in the future past the 14 day time limit.  I realize it appears I'm gearing these questions towards you, icebike, but I'm more or less directing them towards B&N staff.......who may or may not read these threads.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Key word in my post above is Guessing SDnookOwner. 

Its based on dealing with cellular issues, but still I am guessing. 

Also what Customer Service actually knows and what they are allowed to tell you are probably quite different.  (CS types are order takers, shipping trouble shooter, etc, not tech support types.)  We dump on them too much, technical support for a digital product is way beyond their pay grade.   (boo hiss to B&N for saddeling them with this task).

If B&N contracts out the software development for the nook (quite probable) they may have no in-house ability to answer technical questions of this kind.  If its an At&T issue, they probably have very little leverage over getting AT&T to even admit there is a problem, let alone fix it.  (God knows Apple has tried for 3 years).

Or, B&N may have a policy similar to Apple where employees are told the Shut Up and Volunteer Nothing till word comes down from high places.  (Although I would have thought there was only room for one such company on planet Earth).

But still, I speculate here, based on actions, lack of information,  and a modest accumulated knowledge of data systems, networks, and development cycles.

I can tell you this tho...

The one and ONLY thing that gets results with closed mouth recalcitrant companies like Apple is Main Stream PRESS Coverage.  The only way you can force Apple to do anything is get the story into the New York Times.   If the next update doesn't fix the registration and battery life issues its time to take a different approach than simply sending the nook back and grousing on these boards. 

Reader 2
SDnookOwner
0 Kudos

icebike, don't take this personally, but when you state in a post; "Replacement nooks carry later sim cards", this sounds like a fact.  Is this true and where did you get this information?  Are others to assume that their nook received in December or early January are defective compared to models shipping late January with new sim cards?  There are numerous posts in this thread with statements such as these that come across as fact.  People read this, and assume the statements to be close to fact since B&N can offer no statements other than the run-around.  I'm just questioning some poster's credentials to presenting fact vs. opinion.  In my original post, I stated no opinion, I only stated the facts:

1. I had a nook that would not register.

2. I found a solution to get a nook that would register.

I would encourage all those who had an issue, and then got a fix, to post.  At this point, who wants to hear guessing?  I would think those who are having difficulties want facts.  Also, I do not have the cash to advertise in the New York Times (only joking).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, SDNookOwner, My Bad for slipping in that sentence without re-iterating that I was still in Guess mode.

I too would like to hear how those having registration problems finally got it to work.

But its important to be SPECIFIC.  Some have posted that they got a replacement nook and it worked without being specific as to whether it worked on 3G or worked on home WiFi, or worked on B&N Store WiFi.  These details matter.

Contributor
loves2readPJ
0 Kudos

I had trouble registering my Nook.  seems like I couldn't get any contact in the house.  today, I had to go to the doctors office.  I took my Nook (I downloaded books from the computer) to read, and while I was there tried to register.  Bingo  it worked 

Contributor
Robins_65_Mustang
0 Kudos

Hey All,

Just an update on my nook named "I'm gonna drop kick you".

I too have an "unable to register" nook (got it 12/24) and after many, many hours on hold and just as many hours talking to both customer support, tech support and digital support, driving to one of the closest B&N stores 170 miles away one way, I'm waiting on a replacement.

First thing, one tech support person named Dan did tell me that yes both "tech support and digital support" are contracted out to different unnamed companies, only customer support is actually part of B&N.

The second thing I want to mention here is the replacement nook that one of the managers @ digital support (Chris) had promised me would be here no later then 1/6 (it's now 1/12) & it is now sitting in WI and I'm in NE. The new one was delivered to my billing address NOT to the shipping address, and no the WI address was not the original shipping address. Then they told me it was not their fault because the computer program @ B&N automatically sends all rapid replacement merchandise to the billing address. He said that they don't have a choice in it. Now they tell me I can pay to have it shipped to me in NE. Sorry guys already did that with the first one! WTF!!! My patience has had it!!

Yeah, yeah, I know I don't have to register my nook to enjoy it. But I did pay for a whole nook not a 1/2 a nook. And as for waiting for a new patch update, (not 1.1.1) they told me on 12/26 that it would be available the first week of Jan. NOT

I'm sorry these people are going to know my voice as soon as they answer the phone, I talk to them so much (I've got it on speed dial now). But someone needs to take responsibility here, more so than just trying to put us off, they need to follow through with what they say they are going to do. If I was this incompetent in my job, I would be fired for sure!

Frequent Contributor
furoley
0 Kudos

Agree. 

VISA said it would be on my side in case of dispute with B&N.

B&N just cannot send an item to person B and charge the card of person A, if neither person A nor B authorize that.

They are trying to say "this is how our system works".

Not really, guys - this how your business stinks.

New User
delvis_02
0 Kudos

Well, it's been a week since our three Nooks arrived and I have managed to get two of them to register over WiFI but not the third.  I keep getting the 'error, cannot connect at this time message' even when I have a strong signal and can browse the store etc.  I figured out how to sideload a book into and I am happy with that as I probably won't ever actually buy anything from the Nook directly as it is too easy to run out of gift card and run into Visa and I don't want that.  I wish the whole thing was designed to be hardwired via USB first, then WiFi, and finally 3G as this seems to be its weakest point.  If every Nook had been designed to be registered and used interactively via USB 99.99999% of the messages on this thread would be non-existant.

B&N customer support is a joke and they refuse to actually talk about the failings of the wireless aspect of things.  I have sent 5 or 6 e-mails with everything from being poilte as pie to telling them I am taking my business to one of their competitors with nothing more than the same form replies everyone else is getting.  "Please call technical support at 1-800-blah-blah-blah."  What a crock.  I totally agree with whoever said that the customer support team never should have been saddled with this and that someone up in the ranks needs to take one for the team and let customers know they are working on the issues.  Is there anything more frustrating than a large company that does not divulge information to its customers on how to get in touch with people that matter?  I think not.  Sorry, Amanda in customer support but I don't want to talk to you about this.  I don't want your boss, or their boss, or even that person's boss.  I want the boss that makes the calls and calls the shots.  B&N's response to these issues has been nil and they suck for it.

New User
pepperthedog
0 Kudos

Received my Nook from  my daughter who lives in San Francisco.It wouldnt register in Wyoming so I sent it to San Fran. It registered fine so just in case it wont work here I went on websight, ordered 10 books & downloaded them to Nook. If it wont work here (dish sattelite internet wireless) guess I'll have to go to Calif. and visit and get more books. Works for me.

Contributor
HalOH
0 Kudos

Good news

After reading 15 pages of comments and issues here, I was nervous when my Nook arrived today.  Short story - it worked fine!

I opened it and let it warm up to room temperature for 1/2 hour.  Then charged it.  It took about 2 hours until the charging light went out.  It asked me if I wanted to register.  I chose "later" and then checked the Airplane setting.  It was already off, so I proceeded to the registration process.  Thankfully, I had 4 bars on the network (AT&T) indicator.  It asked me for email address and password.  In about 15 seconds, I got a successful registration message. 

Next I went to the Wifi Hotspot section and found it already recognized my home wireless network  and even knew the type of security I have.  When I said "connect" it asked for the password, and once I entered it - BINGO.  Connected fine.

This Nook does have version 1.1.1 already on it.  

I'm now eager to try sideloading some epub books from our local library. 

The page turning swipe works great, and I'm LOVING IT!

Thanks for all the heads up folks and hopefully yours will work great too.

Contributor
JetDr
0 Kudos

Re: Good news

Can't register mine either.. It won't allow to go back to setup my wifi.  The registration screen is always there.  Any suggestions?

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: Good news

@ JetDr:  Is the issue that you can't get a signal or is nook not recognizing your information? 

You may want to try going into your Barnes & Noble online account and double check your credit card and billing information and make sure that you have a default set up and that the information inputted for registration matches that.

New User
jaygc
0 Kudos

my4luvbugzmissing1angel wrote:

I'm with you,  Angela2932ND. I have done all the trouble shooting tips given and I STILL can't register the nook! I am SO FRUSTRATED!! I should have asked for the ipod touch instead! That was my second choice for Christmas. If it isn't fixed soon I'm just going to send it back! :smileysad:

I live in northwestern Minn. Where there is no AT+T. I can't get through to B=N nook support on my computer or by phone.  I've been on hold foe four days, an how and a half at a time..  Ten BN bookstore in Fargo says they can't register my Nook and can give me no advice.  I can access BN on my computer; I have done everything right; sometimes it is indicated I have an account; other times it says I don't have an account. MyWIFI is in compliance, but the Nook keeps reading "error". Why put out a product if there is no technical support? This morning  I tried to get into Nook support but was shown a message that the server was down. I bought this for my disabled husband and am appalled at the incompetence of  BN.  I expected better of them.  As of now, while venting on tnis site, I have been on hold for well over an hour. I know there are typos in tnis message, but I am past caring. Selling a product that is for a disabled person and not providing assistance in setting it up is the lowest of the low.

New User
Nookworm28
0 Kudos

I was finally able to receive 3G signal, and successfully registered my nook.  Once I registered it, however, I noticed some changes.  One issue that has been upsetting me is the fact that when I reboot my device, all of my bookmarks seem to be removed.  I don't know what is causing this to happen, but I would love to get some suggestions to fix it.  Thanks...

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

@ Nookworm28:  Glad to hear you were able to register your nook.

The bookmark issue is a known issue and will hopefully be addressed in a system update.

In the meantime, we're finding that exiting your eBooks and putting nook in sleep mode instead of turning it off completely has helped some nook owners retain bookmarks.

New User
jaygc
0 Kudos

Kevin wrote:

Folks,

I've reported the various registration issues on this thread. We're looking at it.

Meantime, here are some things that have worked for people in the past. (Forgive the repeitition here, please.)

• Make sure you have 3G or Wi-Fi connectivity. If you've tried one, and it doesn't work, try the other.
  • Make sure you have airplane mode set to off.
  • Make sure you have a default credit card (and billing information) on your bn.com account.
  • Make sure you're using the same email address as you have on your bn.com account.
  • Check your bn.com password. Some people have reported that they had a character in their password that did not work for nook.

I hope one or more of these tips helps the people here. We'll get back when we have more info.

I am totally sick of BN excuses for Nook. I bought this for my disabled husband and am furious on his behalf at he incompetence of BN support.  I have done everything right several times over, and still get "error" when trying to register the Nook.  This is a prime example of false advertising.  You have our money, but we have no service.  NOTHING was said, either by the salesman at BN, or in the written materials, about "hotspots", where service might be a problem.  If I have no difficulty getting on my computer .....oops-technical support actually came on and reassured me glitches are being worked on, more support personnel are being hired, etc.  He calmly walked me through registration, so I am content for the time being. Two hours today of my life I will never get back, but a very happy husband.  There are no user manuals, so to understand Nook you have to be registered at Nook.  So if you have a problem you can only access the problem by calling tech suppport or using your Nook. Good luck with that.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:64 members 409 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: