Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Registering your nook

Annie25KT wrote:

I finally got my nook tonite after 6 long weeks of waiting, and now after charging for 3 hours it says it registered but it wont leave that page. It says do you want to re-registrar   NO  but it won't do anything else HELP PLEASE

If you don't want to regester, press no on the touch pad and do something else.

Worst case: hold down the top power button for 40 seconds to turn your nook off.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Hey, Icebike,

I am asking you this question because you seem to e an expert. I haven't received my nook yet. My issue is, I have the Barnes and Noble Reader and Calibre software loaded on my husband's desktop.(Vista)

The reason that I did that is that my creepy old laptop has an old operating system.(2000) I was able to load ADE on it, though. I use it to download books from my library's Overdrive feature. The question is, will there be a problem using two different computers with the nook. Will it recognize both?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Schatzie

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

> The question is, will there be a problem using two different computers with the nook. Will it recognize both?

I have no problm using my nook on both Windows 7, and two different versions of Linux.

Its not like an iPhone, where you have to install software on the computer.  You don't need to install anything on the computer to use the nook.

Authorize the nook with your ADE software one time if you borrow library books.  From then on its just drag and drop.  No special tools required, no problem with multiple computers.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Icebike, you're the best, thanks so much.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

I haven't logged onto this board in a while; sorry to see people are still having trouble registering.   I proved weeks ago that it is possible to register using wifi only, by unregistering, removing the sim card (so there was no possibility it was secretly using 3G), and reregistering (over wifi).  But I notice the suggestion that if the registration fails that one needs to reset to factory settings before proceeding).   You might try removing the sim, resetting to factory settings, then try registering via wifi.

(The sim is under the battery.)

No clue whether this will help, as some have been told it's a software issue, others a hardware issue, others something else.  But it's probably worth a try.

Contributor
gtg427s
0 Kudos

Removing the SIM card was one of the many things I tried, but it didn't work. I'm in Montana with no AT&T coverage, so I don't think that is the problem anyway.

I was told on one occassion by nook tech support that the problem that people in MT, the Dakotas, parts of CO, WY and Minnesota was that ISPs in those places were assigning IP addresses to the nooks that weren't agreeing with whatever requirements B&N has in place for registering via wifi (perhaps something akin to the IP addresses one would be assigned if outside the States).

Anyway, they said that the firmware update will fix this IP address assignment issue and folks in those areas I mentioned will be able to register over wifi. I'll update as soon as I am able to register mine.

BTW, I posted this in the thread about the next firmware update, but I'll paste it here as well. It is an email I got from nook support today regarding this whole registration issue I and many others are having.

We have a firmware update that will be available within the week.  This firmware update is going to address the issue you are experiencing.  The update can be downloaded over Barnes and Noble website, or if your nook has WiFi connection.

If you have WiFi Connection the device should automatically update itself every morning at 6am if a update is available.

I hope this is the answer you were seeking.

Sincerely,

Drew
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

gtg427s -

Thank you for that update!

Contributor
sugar58
0 Kudos

gtg427s -

Thank you so much for the update. I am in Montana too so this is really helpful knowing there will be an update soon to fix the register problem.

Thanks again!

Contributor
Babs43
0 Kudos

I just received my new nook and have charged it and trying to register.  I plugged it into my computer and used my correct password and it first says registration in progress then error could not connect at this time. Please try again which I have done several times and it still does not go through??

Contributor
DigitalTempest
0 Kudos

I was having some trouble getting my nook registered. I'm in one of those areas where AT&T only has a partner agreement. I do have wifi and could browse the store via wifi. However, I couldn't register my device. After about a day and a half of frustration, I finally popped open the back and took the sim card out, thinking I could force it to use wifi. No dice.

I put the sim card back in backwards (don't ask me why I did this, but it fits either way), hooked it up to my computer, tried to register one more time just to try again, and this time it worked. I don't know what did it. I don't know if the sim card was in wrong. I don't know if it miraculously decided to register over wifi. I don't know if my computer put the voodoo on it and said, "RISE, CTHULHU!" I just know it's registered, and now, I can stop having all these psychotic thoughts about taking it back to the store.

"The tempest in my mind doth from my senses take all feeling." - Shakespeare
"This town ain't big enough for both of us, and it ain't me who's gonna leave." - The Sparks
New User
golfberry
0 Kudos

I had not trouble registering my FIRST nook last week via my home wifi.  Two days later I tried to purchase a new book and I was unable to connect to my wifi.  I called tech support and sat on hold for an hour then spent another 30 minutes having the tech tell me to do everything I already tried to do on my own.  The next morning I called back and they decided to send me a new one.  The next day I went to a 3G area and was able to connect and down load a new book.  Now my nook works great except the battery.  So to make a long story short my new nook came in today and i can't connect to my home wifi.  don't know what I should do.  I really don't want to sit on hold for hours but neither of the nooks have very good battery life.  I am soooo mad...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

golfberry wrote:

I had not trouble registering my FIRST nook last week via my home wifi.  Two days later I tried to purchase a new book and I was unable to connect to my wifi.  I called tech support and sat on hold for an hour then spent another 30 minutes having the tech tell me to do everything I already tried to do on my own.  The next morning I called back and they decided to send me a new one.  The next day I went to a 3G area and was able to connect and down load a new book.  Now my nook works great except the battery.  So to make a long story short my new nook came in today and i can't connect to my home wifi.  don't know what I should do.  I really don't want to sit on hold for hours but neither of the nooks have very good battery life.  I am soooo mad...

Excuse me, but didn't you post the solution in the very same post?

Ad did you read this post:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/WiFi-Not-working/m-p/459765#M30196

New User
bobbie45
0 Kudos

It keeps telling me I have an invalid email with bn and that is not so. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bobbie45 wrote:

It keeps telling me I have an invalid email with bn and that is not so. 

Its pretty dumb.  Any little difference in upper/lower case will throw it off.

Best thing to do is go into your B&N account and change your email (remove it and type it over again), and then character for character type that into the nook.

New User
SaraqtogaGuy
0 Kudos

Frozen Nook

I was so excited to try my Nook after waiting 5 weeks for it.  I was able to register it...and then tried to use it...it is frozen - shows me a screen of Jane Austen's book title page and will not do anything.  I cannot even turn it off!  Very frustrating!  Is there a quality problem with Nook?  Tomorrow I will take it in to a local B&N store - if they can't get it to work, I will return it and go to Kindle.  Very disappointed.

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

Re: Frozen Nook

Stores get to update their nooks this week.  I'm guessing the rest of us will see it early next week.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/05/nook-firmware-1-2-coming-to-stores-this-week-current-owners-a/

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

So the update is available now.

Can anyone confirm that the register issue is resolved?  I will be able to test it out in about an hour.  *crosses fingers*

Contributor
gtg427s
0 Kudos

Khensu- I'll be able to confirm in about five minutes. Let me know if it resolves your registration issue as well.

Contributor
gtg427s
0 Kudos

Khensu and other unregistereds: It works! I installed the update and was able to register over my home wifi connection. The update takes about five minutes to complete and your nook restarts. Then you can register.

Good luck! It's pretty awesome!

Contributor
Khensu
0 Kudos

Awesome!  Going home now to confirm as well.

Thanks for the good news!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: