Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
rkimmel
0 Kudos

Removing Back Cover

, Hello everyone, my Nook has frozen, so I want to do the battery trick but I don't want to damage the cover when I remove it. I can't load the manual or the tutorial video because I'm on a dial-up connection :smileysad: Could anyone please help me with this?

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

Re: Removing Back Cover

Before you go to the trouble of removing the back cover, try the force power-down option that works about 80-90% of the time (and 100% of the times I've used it).

1.  Hold down the power button on top for AT LEAST 20 seconds

2.  Release

3.  Press the power button again quickly

4.  Release and wait 3-5 seconds

This usually will force the nook to reset.  

If it doesn't work, to remove the back cover, put your nook on a safe surface upside down (I like using the middle of my bed, so that I don't accidentally drop face down on a hard surface).  find the little tab that sticks out near the micro USB port - this is the starting point for gently "prying" the back cover off.  You need a tiny screwdriver to actually remove the battery, but some people have had luck "breaking" the connection by simply inserting a business card in between the contacts.  With the battery removed, plug the nook into the wall.  This should force a reset.  Then you can reinsert the battery.

New User
rkimmel

That worked perfectly, thanks for your help!

New User
Lois512
0 Kudos

You saved my life.  I couldn't get that lousy back cover off!  THANK YOU!

Lois

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 36 members 208 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: