Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Trish_S
0 Kudos

Removing books from Nook

How do I delete books from my nook? I am running out of memory. Thanks!

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Re: Removing books from Nook

Are they books downloaded from the B&N site or sideloaded?

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

How many books do you have on it?  You can archive the ones in your B&N library.  You don't want to delete the books from your B&N library, because once they are deleted they're gone.  But archiving will take them off the Nook but leave them in you B&N library on the site, should you want them again.

You can delete the sideloaded books by plugging the the Nook to the computer.  Delete them from the Nook, not your computer, otherwise, again, they are gone forever.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

First post and you are already running out of memory?

Are you SURE?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Trish_S:

To delete eBooks downloaded onto your nook:

On the nook,
1.Tap on "My Library" from the Home screen (all of these steps are done in your "Library" on your nook)
2. Highlight the eBook (that you were unable to access) and tap "View Item Details & Options".
3. Then tap "Archive" and follow the on-screen prompts
4. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

If you want to Unarchiveok in order to re-download the content:

1. Ensure that you are still in My B&N Library section of My Library
2. Navigate to and Highlight the eBook you want to download (it should be grayed out).
3. Tap "View Item Details & Options".
4. Tap "Unarchive." and then tap "ok"
5. Then tap "Check for New B&N Content" and wait for it to complete.

You should now have access to that eBook(s).

I hope this helps.

Your Admin.,

Please also visit our FAQ and Support page (link provided below):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=30195

Michael-V

New User
Trish_S
0 Kudos

How do I archive the books?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Read post 5 in this thread.

New User
Trish_S
0 Kudos

thanks for all your help I found it.

Contributor
BobRD
0 Kudos

The mantra 'you don't want to delete ' is just not true.  There are lots of books I've enjoyed reading that I know I'll never read again - I discard or donate them.  I certainly DO NOT keep them forever as some fetish.

Please, please allow us to at least delete [Sample]'s we check out and decide not to purchase.  I didn't purchase because I do not want.

Yes, we DO sometimes want to [DELETE].

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

BobRD wrote:

The mantra 'you don't want to delete ' is just not true.  There are lots of books I've enjoyed reading that I know I'll never read again - I discard or donate them.  I certainly DO NOT keep them forever as some fetish.

Please, please allow us to at least delete [Sample]'s we check out and decide not to purchase.  I didn't purchase because I do not want.

Bob, I do agree that Some people do want to delete books (B&N books) off thier Nook without going through the web site to do it. But you also need to realize while you might feel very confident in hitting the Delete-and-Don't-Ever-Come-Back button (should one ever exist). Keep in mind there are others that don't want to hit that button or see it, at which point who is right? You who would like to be able to delete even B&N books completely but tapping a section/button on the screen or someone who might accidently tap the same part of the screen/button. You might consider it a major annoyance in having to go to the website to properly archive/delete it. (and i do feel your pain). But B&N also has to try and help protect people from themselfs, after all not everyone is a programmer (I actually am :smileyhappy:) And I can imagine all kinds of trouble calls from people that accidently deleted a $12.00-$14.00 ebook and wanted it recovered. I'd say (and I know you won't agree) that even though it's awkward to have to go through the website to delete any B&N books, it's the same reason that hair dryers have a tag on it saying "Not to be used in the Shower". Sometimes, companys have to irritate some people to protect others from themselfs.

Sorry....

Gary

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

BobRD wrote:

Yes some people want to delete.   But it is a good idea to make sure that people know that if they delete the book, it is gone.  If there was a delete option on the Nook, there would be some people who would think that meant delete it from the Nook, not realizing that it would also delete it from the website and was gone forever.  

And the original poster wanted to know how to delete books because she was out of space.  It really seems unlikely that someone could have downloaded and read 1500 or so books to be out of space.  So, we caveat the answer with, maybe you don't want to delete, but archive.  As Phigment said, sometimes they have to irritate some of us to protect others.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Yes some people want to delete.  

Yes, well, all 3 of those people can use the website.

Archive is a wonderful thing.  B&N is promising you an unlimited bookshelf.

Why would you reject that.

I can see it for things like Samples. But if I paid for it, and B&N will hold it

forever for me, how sweet is that!?

Contributor
BobRD
0 Kudos

can't archive or delete SAMPLES.  A sample is a sample.  Having checked it out, I should be able to at least archive it.  Will samples just hang around like forever?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

BobRD wrote:

can't archive or delete SAMPLES.  A sample is a sample.  Having checked it out, I should be able to at least archive it.  Will samples just hang around like forever?

You can always delete from your account on the B&N website.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Phigment,

Actually I am a programmer and have been one for over 20 years.

Most of us have at one time typed something like the command:

rm * .o

to clean up a project directory after finishing (note the space between the * and the . :smileysad: ).

The best of us can fat finger a command. Actually the best and most experienced of us are most likely to accidentally delete something because we don't bother to read those annoying warning messages. We KNOW we pressed the right button so just go ahead and do it already!!!!

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

BobRD wrote:

You can always delete from your account on the B&N website.

Does this affect the purchase of the actual book?

I have a sample and I'm ready to delete it. I may purchase the actual book but not right now.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@jynclr - no it does not affect the actual book purchase.

Actually prior to 1.2 you needed to delete the sample before purchasing the book, or you wouldn't be able to read the full book (nook remembered the sample size).

Contributor
BobRD
0 Kudos

It's a good thing the Wright Brothers didn't have that attitude - airplanes do fall down and hurt people.

Contributor
BobRD
0 Kudos

No, SAMPLES don't archive or delete.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

BobRD wrote:

No, SAMPLES don't archive or delete.

Nothing can be deleted from the nook.

You can log into your B&N account online and delete the samples from there. The select "Check for new B&N content" on your nook and the samples will be removed.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 652 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: