Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Bonneville_Dan
0 Kudos

Removing items from the Nook

How do you take something OFF your Nook? Obviously, if I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, once I've read that day's paper, I don't want to keep it stored on my Nook. Or do things like newspapers roll off after a fixed amount of time?

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

Re: Removing items from the Nook

Newspapers, I believe you have to Archive them, then do a check for new material/books to have it refresh and make it not appear on the nook. For sideloaded stuff, you have to hook it up to the PC and remove it with and Explorer window (no idea what to do if your on a mac).

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Newspapers and periodicals retain a certain number of copies and then they "go away".  For newspapers, it's the last 10 days worth of issues, for magazines, it depends on whether it's a weekly or monthly.

If you archive an issue of a magazine, it will stay in your archive forever, which is probably not what you're looking for.

The 1.2 update changed the way newspapers appeared in your library so that they don't take up so much screen space - under 1.1.1 all 10 issues of the newspaper would be listed which, depending on how you sorted your books, could end up taking up the entire first page of the screen (which can be annoying).  In 1.2, it only shows you the most recent issue, but then gives you a menu option to view older issues. If you click on this, you get the other 9 issues that have been stored on your device.  

New User
Bonneville_Dan
0 Kudos

hanks for the help! That makes sense, and is a good way for B&N to set things up. Now I'll have to see what update version I have!

New User
avidreader20
0 Kudos

I had the same issue and it was driving me nuts! To permanently delete books or magazines from your nook home page (I haven't tried it with periodicals), hold your finger on the icon for a few seconds. A white dialogue box appears with various options. One of them is "remove from home." That should permanently delete the unwanted book or magazine from your home page. It worked for me, though I'm not sure what will happen once I turn off the nook and turn it back on. Good luck.

New User
pksiv
0 Kudos

That's only removes it from the home page. I want to PERMANENTLY remove them from my Library. Both on my Nook color and on the Web page.  

This is so easy to do for books, why is it different or impossible for Magazies ?

Reader
ladyred
0 Kudos

I am having a similar problem with library books. Once I am done reading them they continue to stay in my digital editions and I can't figure out how to delete them.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

You have to use ADE to return and delete a library book.

Hook up your nook, start ADE, browse to your Nook, find the book, hit the ">" next to the name, choose "Delete" and it will ask if you want to "Return and Delete".

ADE will take the book off and let Overdrive know that you gave up the license (so another patron can check it out).

You have to do this so that Overdrive get's updated (the Nook won't talk to Overdrive).

Of course, these are all instructions for the e-ink nooks since that's the board you are posting in.  There may be different ones for COLOR.

New User
cwife19972
0 Kudos

Go on to the Barnes and Noble site, go to your account and delete the magazine there. Then, on your Nook, press the sync icon and it will disappear.
New User
cwife19972
0 Kudos

Clarification: go to the Barnes and Noble site on your computer...
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 649 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: