Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

Replacement Nook Color USB Cable - Help I only have 33% power left

Ok, I'm addicted to this thing, but somehow I stepped on the nook color USB cable and its bent (at the micro USB connector).  I don't want to chance plugging it into my NC now.  

Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement cable at B&N?  If so I'll be there today!  

I have used  regular USB cable to connect my nook to my computer, but that puts it in USB mode. The manual tells you specifically not to charge with anything but the nook USB cable, so I'm hesitant to take my mini-USB cable and plug it in the nook power adapter.    

Any help / suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Re: Replacement Nook Color USB Cable - Help I only have 33% power left

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/NOOKcolor-Charging-Cable-in-Asphalt/e/9781616813864/?cds2Pid=35719

On that page enter your zip code and it should tell you if your local Barnes and Noble has them in stock. Even if it says out of stock you may want to call the store.

morgman
0 Kudos

Great tip thanks!  The good news I have 5 BN in my area.  The bad news, none of them have the cable.   Guess I'll order online and keep my fingers crossed. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe that, contrary to the manual and the FAQ page here on B&N, you can charge a NOOKcolor from a computer using a standard USB cable. However, the charging will be slow and you'll need to have your NOOKcolor turned off or it'll suck down more power than the charging provides.

See this posting from Michael-V: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/NookColor-vs-Nook-charging-cables...

From what I'm reading, I wouldn't try to use a standard USB cable to charge from the NOOKcolor charger or a "classic" NOOK charger—only from a computer USB port.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

If you haven't online ordered yet, it's possible that Best Buy has the right cords, too.

I would triple check that it was the right cord as someone has reported trying to buy a NOOKColor cord and getting a NOOK cord, but that might be way faster than waiting for a mailed replacement.

I also might call some of those B&Ns that show out of stock; I can't believe that if you're in an area large enough to have 5 nearby locations, NONE of them have the cords in stock.  At least one of those stores is bound to be a large store...  I'd suspect a website issue.

morgman

Even though the link provided listed my current store didn't have any cables I stopped by anyway.  They didn't have cables, but they did have combination cable and power plug adapter.   I had already ordered the cable online.  So I'll save that and use it with the power plug adapter that came with the unit and I'll use the new one I bought today at the office.  

Nook Color, charging now, I'm a happy nooker again.  

Cheers,

David

New User
deadlevelbest

The cable bit doesn't matter, if it fits into the connector on the NOOK, then you should be able to use the wall charger - the wall part is what moderates the power, not the cable.

Reader 4
chai_24
0 Kudos

you can call 1-800-the book hotline for barnes and noble and have it replaced for free! just makesure that your warranty hasnt expired yet!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deadlevelbest wrote:

The cable bit doesn't matter, if it fits into the connector on the NOOK, then you should be able to use the wall charger - the wall part is what moderates the power, not the cable.

Not sure why you replied to a four-month-old message... I'm sure they've got it fixed by now.

In any event, the NOOK Color uses a special cable. An ordinary USB cable will fit, but it can't carry enough power to run NOOK Color. So the special cable has extra wires and pins that carry high current for charging the unit.

The NOOK Color instructions specifically say not to use an ordinary USB cable, but at one point the "official" word was that an ordinary USB cable wouldn't hurt anything, it just couldn't deliver enough current to charge a NOOK Color unless the unit was turned off, and even then the charging would take a long time.

And by the way, this forum is for the non-Color NOOKs. The NOOK Color has its own forums:

NOOK Color General Discussion: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

NOOK Color Tech Support: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

New User
JohnnyGP
0 Kudos

Thank you deadlevelbest for replying to the 4 month old message.  While the original person may have gotten his/her answer, the whole idea of a Discussion Board/Forum is for others to learn from other's questions.  Thank you for helping me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

JohnnyGP wrote:

Thank you deadlevelbest for replying to the 4 month old message.  While the original person may have gotten his/her answer, the whole idea of a Discussion Board/Forum is for others to learn from other's questions.  Thank you for helping me.

True - the idea of a Discussion Board/Forum is for others to learn, but someone with a NookColor would learn a lot more by posting on the NookColor board.

The NookColor is not an "upgrade" to the Nook.  There are enough differences between the two devices that B&N created a NookColor section.  There have been many posts from new NC owners asking why they can't update their NC to v1.5.

Contributor
tapdoll27
0 Kudos

So, mine is a Nook question. I have the same problem. My charger broke and I am wondering how to get a new one. When I went to the Barnes and Noble website, it looks like the only charger they have is for the Nook Color. Does anyone know where I can get a new one. I do have the extended warranty, is this something that would be covered?

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

call customer service, or visit a brick and mortar bn store

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

tapdoll27 wrote:

So, mine is a Nook question. I have the same problem. My charger broke and I am wondering how to get a new one. When I went to the Barnes and Noble website, it looks like the only charger they have is for the Nook Color. Does anyone know where I can get a new one. I do have the extended warranty, is this something that would be covered?

I purchased a spare Nook charger at Best Buy, and I've also seen them at the B&N store.

New User
JohnnyGP
0 Kudos

Fair concern about posting in the correct area.  My concern was not to disuade people from posting on old topics.  Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

tapdoll27 wrote:

I'm not sure if you are asking about a NOOK or Nook Color charger/cable since the body of your post doesn't seem to match the subject line.

If you are looking for a charger/cable for the e-ink based NOOK, then any standard micro USB cable and charger will work, you can pick one up at Radio Shack or any other electronics store.

I use the charger for my Samsung phone to charge my NOOK, the phone, and my iPod touch.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

tapdoll27 wrote:

B&N is selling them on ebay, item number: 290567485250 in case this link is removed.

New User
jeff1969
0 Kudos

Incorrect, or at least partially incorrect.

The Nook Color cable looks like a standard mini (micro?) male usb plug, but it is longer (inserts deeper) than the standard.  This enables increased power throughput.  Putting a standard cable into the EOM nook wall-outlet-to-usb charger will NOT give the same result.

Nooksie
0 Kudos

deadlevelbest wrote:

I believe you have misread the OP's question.  They have a NookColor.  The NookColor takes a different cable than other Nooks.  The NookColor CABLE END is different.  The connector has extra pins. 

For any other newbie reading this - The NookColor User Guide states positively "Do Not Use Any Other Nook Cable To Charge Your NookColor."  No waffle words.  Just do not do it

Reader
tennisluv
0 Kudos

Thanks to the user who said to call customer service. I did and they replaced the cable at no charge. So if your nook is less than 1 year old, please contact customer service to get it replaced for "no charge"  I believe that my cable was weak from the beginning and maybe many others have needed to replace the cable Hopefully the manufactureres will correct the issue with the input part too the nook.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 257 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: